Why do you think exes leave you hanging?

Charlotte12

I noticed in a lot of stories I read, and even in mine...that some of the break ups end with some weird attitudes from the dumpers giving their dumpees false hope and telling them things to keep you "hanging"

Why do they do it? Is it just that they feel guilty? Is it pity? Is it that they are not so sure?

I think some people may have a hard time hurting other people, so instead of coming right out and saying it, they try to be vague. However, because we look for hope to cling on, we take their vagueness to mean they don't REALLY want the break up.

Bottom line, if someone wanted to be with you, they would. If they aren't with you, it's because, for whatever reason, they don't want to be. Many of us look for the reason, hoping if we know the reason, we can change or fix it. The reason doesn't matter.

Is it just that they feel guilty? Is it pity? Is it that they are not so sure?

All the above plus they want you there as plan B. However, to be fair it takes two to play that game. The dumpee has a choice in this and can always opt out from all this. In addition, some dumpees will hang on for dear life even in situations where the other one is just trying to be polite. Hope can make people misinterpret even neutral behavior. That is why no contact is good when one is trying to heal from a break up.

Some people have a hard time being direct and think they are actually being nice by letting you down "gently". Some like to keep a safety net, just in case freedom doesn't pan out like they hoped and they like the idea of keeping you in the back pocket. Some like to use you as a crutch to get over you slowly.

Ultimately, nobody can really leave you hanging, only you. It's up to you to accept that it's over and move on. You can remove yourself from that hook any time you want and it really is quite empowering. Just like the dumper decided that something is not working for them and it's over, the dumpee in turn can say, hey, they dumped me and so things were not right and I don't like being treated like that, so it's over.

I noticed in a lot of stories I read, and even in mine...that some of the break ups end with some weird attitudes from the dumpers giving their dumpees false hope and telling them things to keep you "hanging"

Why do they do it? Is it just that they feel guilty? Is it pity? Is it that they are not so sure?

Well, I am not hanging. I went no contact as soon as I knew what the real situation was. I refuse to be her "friend." If she comes back, she better be crawling.

Some people have a hard time being direct and think they are actually being nice by letting you down "gently". Some like to keep a safety net, just in case freedom doesn't pan out like they hoped and they like the idea of keeping you in the back pocket. Some like to use you as a crutch to get over you slowly.

Ultimately, nobody can really leave you hanging, only you. It's up to you to accept that it's over and move on. You can remove yourself from that hook any time you want and it really is quite empowering. Just like the dumper decided that something is not working for them and it's over, the dumpee in turn can say, hey, they dumped me and so things were not right and I don't like being treated like that, so it's over.

Very insightful and empowering advice. I'm gonna take it.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Because we let them.

As others have said its your choice. You teach someone how to treat you by what you are willing to put up with.

While some ex's no longer want a dumpee romantically, they are not yet ready to fully let you go completely either...that is about them not you.

When she first broke up with me in March, I would have done anything to get her back. Even worse, she left me for another man. That should have been enough to break me out of it. In truth, it took no contact and time to bring me out of it. They cannot keep you on the backburner when you end contact. There is nothing to be gained by waiting around or being their friend. You have to be strong enough to let them go. If they want to make contact with you, they are perfectly capable. Until then, live your own life like they are never coming back. If they never come back, you are better off for it.

Archived