"My Skinny Summer" Weight Loss Journey

Tanzi

I'm so proud of everyone here!!

Can you please post a recipe for the cashew cream sauce? Pretty please?

I did 6 a.m. spin this morning. Whooped my butt even more than the power lifting class! I had tropical oatmeal (fresh pineapple and organic coconut mixed in) after that, and just had a spinach salad with avocado for lunch. The box of donuts from yesterday is STILL sitting on the counter in the work kitchen. Horrible. I already had to use my willpower on that yesterday, now today too!

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yayyy -- I'm so psyched you did the spin!!!! Butt whooping, indeed.

There are many versions of cashew cheez sauce, but here's the one I use:

link removed

I also add a squirt of yellow mustard and a half teaspoon of turmeric -- for flavor and color.

I use a Vitamix blender, so I don't grind the cashews beforehand -- I just dump everything in, blend it and heat on the stove top. The food processor method used in the link probably works well too, though!

* you can add red pepper for a pimento cheese flavor

* you can add jalapenos for nacho cheese flavor

PS: DONUTS ARE EVIL!

You guys are doing so well! Especially with the delicious, healthy food!

I had a good workout yesterday. I did a brick workout-- 60 minute bike and 30 minute run. I went 19.5 miles on my bike which is pretty fast for me and then was hitting sub-8:30 minute miles on my run. My goal for the race is 16mph on the bike and 9 minute miles on the run, so it was good to be significantly faster than that today during the shorter workout.

Everyone sounds like they're doing amazing sticking to it and eating right. MIL got chinese yesterday - I got the assorted veggies again with Moo Goo Gai Pan - no rice. Went to the kennels to show a dog for adoption and jogged around the exercise pen for about 20 minutes to wear off her nerves. Sure didn't deprive myself yesterday, and yet, today the scale insists I'm at 161.

BigKK - I LOVE your success chart, I'm going to look at that every time I get frustrated at taking steps back before moving forward to remind myself that I'm still getting from point A to B, just not necessarily in a pretty, straight line!

I was a little discouraged again the other day - I found a couple things in storage that I'd bought and were too tight a few years back. Thought they were XL size and feeling those as still perfect to a little snug was disheartening. Then had hubby check the labels - they're regular old large, and cotton, not stretchy cotton either. So I went from gloomy to bouncy. I haven't been able to wear a standard large in... well, let's just say it's been quite a while.

I never, ever thought I would realistically actually get back in shouting distance of my weight before I got married being reality. I'm only about 10-15 pounds heavier than when I got married the first time now. Only 25-30 away from my "fit and slim" weightlifting and exercising nutri-system days back in the late 80's.

And I have ya'll to thank for much of it - I know I'd've fallen off the wagon by now if I didn't have this group to keep my chin up on the disappointing days. THANK YOU!!!!

Glad you liked it Mesemene! I have the same logic all the time, if I am not progressing in the quickest way possible I sometimes feel like I'm failing. And just keep going, I have to say that everyone is doing great as well. We'll have to get progress pics up soon Mine...maybe in a month or so

And Firiel, I honestly got tired just reading your workouts...good for you though, sounds like you're going to do excellent for your first half IM.

I am strangely lethargic lately... I don't know what it is, I am eating low carb, so I kicked up the carbs, but that didn't really help, so I dropped them again.

I slept 10+ hours (Finally) last night, and feel I'm caught up on sleep. I just don't know.... PERHAPS it's the 100F 6% humidity weather we're experiencing? Eh...probably, I sometimes want an air conditioned office jobs on days like today... I am considering taking a few days off and seeing if THAT helps.

Random side note: I was watching a lot of personal trainers this morning... it was a busy day for them. I was utterly and sheerly...DISAPPOINTED. I tend to not care, but for some reason today while I was doing cardio...it just got to me... the lack of enthusiasm, improper instruction...the only thing two of the trainers had going for them was that they were cute. I sort of felt sorry for their clients, but whatever, my job isn't to save the world... Maybe I'm just grumpy

Regardless, I still lifted this morning... did really well, but found myself yawning in between. Today is friend's bday, miss K will join, she texted me last night that she wants us to go surfing and for me to teach her (we talked about it several times) and then she wants to cook for me...I like that she is finally recriprocating, I thought she wasn't that interested, but she really was holding back... we talked about some feelings, and like magic this sweeter person is starting to emerge.... My only worry is she said "I don't like to talk about her feelings" But as a close friend of mine said... "you'll crack her"

and we're starting this thing called "Massage Sundays" where we give each other massages at night on Sunday... It's hard to say no. We used lotion last time, and that sucked, so I got some massage oils...excited to try them out. She says I spoil her, and I don't disagree with her, when I like someone I tend to spoil them into oblivion. I will admit she pops into my mind quite a bit, and already excited to see her tonight...

^

It really is!

and Meseme, you are doing absolutely amazing I am SO happy for you!

I’ve had those clothing moments quite a bit lately... I wore a size SM hoodie thinking it was a LG and was like, oh...still kinda tight. I got a huge bounce when I saw that it was size small lol

F- I only wish I had as much energy as you!

KK- Are you taking rest days? Today turned into a rest day for me and while it’s hard not to feel guilty, you really do get your vitality back after a quick break.

Oh gosh, I'm totally out of energy today. My run last night wiped me out. It was a 90-minute run, broken up as follows:

Warm-up: 20 minutes easy

Main set: 10 sets of 3 minutes hard (between 6:30-7:30 minute miles for me) followed by 2 minutes easy

Cool-down: 20 minutes easy

Add in the fact that it was my first long run that could be considered "hot" (or at least "warm"-- it was in the upper 70s here yesterday) and I was pooped afterwards. I just sat on the couch for the rest of the evening. Then this morning I was at the gym at 6 and did a short (30min) but fairly hard swim workout. Totally zonked at work now. But I don't have to workout until Saturday now. Yay for rest days!

At my largest when I was 20 years old I wore 38 waist, when I "let myself go" after high school. I have been comfortable in 34's for the past few months, and would like to say I am now buying some 32 shorts...which is just....weird....I've never owned 32 shorts. They're not necessarily "my style" they end above the knee, ALMOST short-shorts, but not, but as in the words of someone who I don't remember "flaunt it if you got it"

^

It really is!

and Meseme, you are doing absolutely amazing I am SO happy for you!

I’ve had those clothing moments quite a bit lately... I wore a size SM hoodie thinking it was a LG and was like, oh...still kinda tight. I got a huge bounce when I saw that it was size small lol

F- I only wish I had as much energy as you!

KK- Are you taking rest days? Today turned into a rest day for me and while it’s hard not to feel guilty, you really do get your vitality back after a quick break.

Every one of my rest days for the past 3 weeks turned into an unscheduled physical activity... so no, I think that might be it.

Even today, is my rest day... but Miss K wanted to go rock climbing and her friend's bailed on her, so I said I'd go with her. In which case I'll suck it up. She met my friends and it went really well. She clicked really well with one of my close friends I told her about, and she said it was nice to put the faces to the stories. Everyone was whispering in my ear that they really like her, and she was looking really good (as always). She basically accepted going to the music festival with me and we started talking details as far as camping equipment, but she's double checking today what time her meeting on Thursday is...and we'll leave immediately after that.

My question of the day: I was planning on paying for her ticket, she asked me how much tickets were and I told her, she said "ahh not bad, usually they're more" ($260) Do I pay for her ticket as per my original plan? Or considering she's okay with getting her own tickets, I let her pay for her ticket, and then pay the rest of the way for her? Gas/food, etc. I know this can be a touchy subject, but she definitely makes significantly more than me...which doesn't necessarily matter, but makes me feel okay having her pay for her own ticket. But if I pick up the whole tab for the weekend I'm looking at over $1000 probably after all is said and done...which is a lot, especially if we haven't even hit 2 months. Although my MO has always been not holding back financial towards people I like...I don't care that much in the end, but would love a second opinion.

Oh gosh, I'm totally out of energy today. My run last night wiped me out. It was a 90-minute run, broken up as follows:

Warm-up: 20 minutes easy

Main set: 10 sets of 3 minutes hard (between 6:30-7:30 minute miles for me) followed by 2 minutes easy

Cool-down: 20 minutes easy

Add in the fact that it was my first long run that could be considered "hot" (or at least "warm"-- it was in the upper 70s here yesterday) and I was pooped afterwards. I just sat on the couch for the rest of the evening. Then this morning I was at the gym at 6 and did a short (30min) but fairly hard swim workout. Totally zonked at work now. But I don't have to workout until Saturday now. Yay for rest days!

Enjoy the rest Firiel, another murderous workout...making me feel lazy 6:30 minute miles nice, I have to say you might motivate me to go to a track and see what speed I can run at... Hopefully I could actually finish a mile

I think it's perfectly acceptable to have her pay for her own ticket. It was very good of her to offer instead of just assuming you would pick up the bill. I think that shows that she is not entitled and is aware and respectful of other people. I think paying the rest of the way for her is nice as well. A good compromise between allowing her to be respectful of you and treating her to something fun. I'd say either buy her ticket and expect her to help with the travel or let her get her own ticket and pay the rest of the way for her. Sounds like the first one will just evolve naturally, so I'd go with that.

So another rest day didn't happen. I went rock climbing...and rock climbing with a girl that you're dating (and inherently trying to impress)...wow I was tired, I wanted to give up on several hard climbs but didn't since she was watching. I definitely do NOT have a climber's build at 6'1 230 lbs, I seemed to be the biggest one in the whole gym. Regardless, it was really fun, and also holding each other's lives in the palm of our hands was some kind of trust build exercise at the same time. She said she was impressed I did so well, and I told her the same...I found it really attractive to see how good at it she was. I will say though...it doesn't matter how much I can lift, because when I started hanging on my arms for 10 minutes, I couldn't even grip anymore afterwards. Towards the end of the last climb, I was using my forearm to grip holds... I could no longer compress my fingers.

Perhaps I will take a rest day today, although I got my cardio in this morning *cough*

I think it's perfectly acceptable to have her pay for her own ticket. It was very good of her to offer instead of just assuming you would pick up the bill. I think that shows that she is not entitled and is aware and respectful of other people. I think paying the rest of the way for her is nice as well. A good compromise between allowing her to be respectful of you and treating her to something fun. I'd say either buy her ticket and expect her to help with the travel or let her get her own ticket and pay the rest of the way for her. Sounds like the first one will just evolve naturally, so I'd go with that.

Thanks for this, I will go with my initial thought and just get the ticket. She still hasn't given me the thumbs up due to a lingering meeting, but she will find out today.

I got myself another rock climbing pass for Mother's Day - a full day pass for just me. There's something amazingly fun about it, even with as brutal as it is. They should make a sign "So you think you're in shape? Let's see how you feel after an hour of this!"

I've been a slacker at the gym. But I'm down to 159. Yes, UNDER 160!!!! *does a happy dance* Not sure what I started at in this long thread, but I know it was more than that!

Well, I've only lost 16 pounds since the thread start. BUT I will say 1 month in there was surgery recovery - and 1 month was just plain stalled for no apparent reason.

If I can lose 10 more before I go to visit my daughter I will be satisfied. That's around 2 months and a week from now.

You are doing amazing!! Man, wish I was as successful

I was hungry all.day.long today. I feel like every time someone came by my desk I had a new fruit or vegetable in my face lol. One time I gave in and had a dixie cup of munchy mix. mmm cheezies.

Didn’t get any exercise today, not even a walk. Feels weird! Going to make up for it tomorrow. I figure I’ll still get 4-5 days of workouts in by Sunday, so I am okay.

*hides the chicken and biscuit with a guilty look*

I had a naughty day today. The day just was "one of those days" and since my car seems determined to give me a novel of various issues, the store didn't happen. A walk to the nearest chicken shop did.

Instead of berating myself I'll just make up for it tomorrow though! You're doing great yourself!! I hate those extra hungry days.

so I just had the best gym day of my life yesterday. I set a personal best record for Dumbbell chest press... 110 lbs dumbbells

Unfortunately my great gym day was fueled a little bit by hurt feelings and I channeled that into rage, and felt I released it in a healthy manner.

It was a misunderstanding with Miss K, she was very conflicted and hurt my feelings by uninviting me. It's a long story, but she apologized profusely and I took it as a you're taking me for granted type situation... it wasn't the case, when I told her that she got very emotional and explained.. So in the end, we're good and she thanked me for listening to her, it was definitely her bad though.

Anyway, just relaxing today, possibly long boarding later.

Bigkk... Strange, I also had a really wicked gym day! I guess a bit of rest did me good because I was jonesing to do some weights. I am finding that I am much stronger and more flexible. Did biceps curls with 17.5 pounders and deep flat footed squats. Success is so far beyond the scale!

I am paying the price for my "new records" but regardless I'm proud of myself.

I went longboarding yesterday really long, and then more "cardio"

It was massage Sundays, and we had a really great talk throughout the day... I think the fact that I was so open about her hurting my feelings allowed her to open up more. I gave her a free pass for the first go around, but I will keep my eye on things... I am back to being happier than ever...

So the following is little bit TMI

something weird happened last night...when she "Finished" she started tearing up, and got really embarrassed she kept wiping away her tears and saying she's embarrassed, and I told her she doesn't have to be... after a few minutes she tells me that was the strongest orgasm ever, and continues to tear up. After awhile she smiles and says we need to figure how that happened because that has to happen again. I smile and agree. Its the second time this has happened with a girl for me, the first time she had some major issues and went and locked herself in her room and asked me to leave... So I was a tad worried due to my past experience, but I will take this as a huge positive? We talked about it in the morning, and trying to figure out why it happened... I told her its probably a combination, of learning each other, into each other, becoming more open, and I changed a few things up.

Does this happen to anyone on a regular basis, is it a once in a blue moon thing? It was honestly awesome... I was reading somewhere the our culture in the US is very anti-crying and tears so we're taught to be ashamed. I understood it that it was just so much that she said it became almost uncontrollable and next thing she knew she was in tears.

I think its because despite how sexualized our culture is and how sex is portrayed as a fun, hot, insert adjective here, activity... It is also the other side of that, a huge emotional leap, a connection, and well, it's not called lovemaking just because. It sounds like she's formed an emotional bond with you and you two are very in synch with each other and she is essentially very vulnerable during those moments. For women orgasm is also a huge emotional release.

Since I had a bit of a break down on sat and have been working to ease my stress levels, I can feel my body working with me again. My tummy is flat and I weighed 4 lbs less today than Saturday. My body was in full fight or flight mode and hanging on to everything for dear life. I switched to no flush niacin. Amazing! I also started on a an adrenal support supplement. I really can't believe the difference it makes.I am also working to not stress over whether or not our home sells, because it either will or it won't, and worst case scenario, we stay here and continue to save money for our next move. Our mortgage is much less than our incomes, so were at an advantage here. And yes, I do want to be pregnant so badly that it hurts, but a stressed out mess is not mommy material. I have got to get myself to optimum health, both inside and out, focus on my career, and the rest will happen in its own time. So, that is where I am at today.

Archived