Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

30 day challenge to give up sugar!

journeynow

Day 1 of no sugar, started at noon, 10/1/13

I had oatmeal with pecans, plums, and ginger for breakfast. The plums were quite tart, so I added 1/2 tsp sugar. I was later in the day that I decided to challenge myself to give up sugar for the month. This past year I've craved sugar quite a bit. Seems like a good time to let that go.

Background is relevant: I am a healthy, active mid-lifer. At peak weight I was 25 pounds heavier than in high school, when I was an athlete. I am within and have always been within the accepted levels of body fat as a percentage of total body composition. Even still, this is my story about sugar.

Some 7 years ago, I went for my annual check up. Doc said my cholesterol was getting too high: "Go on the South Beach diet or prepare to take statins" she said. Yikes!

I like steak and grapefruit, so I went on South Beach. (NOT ATKINS!) The first 2-4 weeks of South Beach require that one give up all carbs and fruit, to break the addiction to sugar. So I did, though of course I was imperfect at it.

I lost 8 pounds, my chronic headaches went away, I had more energy, and my thinking was clearer.

I have come to see sugar as an addictive drug. The 30 days serves to break the addiction. It works.

Even frozen yogurt became unnecessarily sweet to me at that time.

After the first 2-4 weeks, one reintroduces most fruit and whole grains in moderation.

So, I am giving up sugar, in its direct form, fruit, and carbs. I will ease into it based on what is already in my kitchen. I will log it here.

Day 2 went ok here. I briefly considered a gluten-free cookie when I bought bulk items at the food coop. My deterrent was that I was full, so it wasn't all that appealing (the cookies are huge), and I was rushed for time, so it was only a flashing thought as I passed the cookie bin. I slipped up when I ate a small yogurt with fruit added, forgetting it most certainly has added sugar.

IThinkICan, I love chocolate! I know if I have it in the house I will cave and eat it.

I have a friend who suggests when making a habit change think of it as gaining something you enjoy, rather than giving up something you like. What will I be gaining?...I'll pay attention to the changes I feel without sugar. I read "Sugar Blues" back in the late 70's, whiched talked about the sugar rush and the drop in energy that follows, so I hope for more even energy. (I enjoy having energy.) I'm concerned about diabetes, as both of my parents developed it when they hit their 80's, so would like to do what I can to minimize that risk. (I may gain better long term health, even if that's hard to measure now.) I understand sugar may play a part in inflammation, so reducing that I hope to gain joint function and hand strength. (Gain strength, flexibility, and ability to do things I want.) I might gain some lightness as well, if I drop a few pounds as a result of going sugar free. In addition I think reducing sugar affects the taste buds. Times in my past when I have had little sugar in my diet I was much more sensitive to the natural sweetness of foods, and overwhelmed by the sweetness of cookies and treats. So, these 30 days will be an interesting experiment!

I appreciate having company doing this! Thanks, IThinkICan and simplexity, and anyone else who wants to give it a try.

Day 4 - Definitely doing better. Yes, I had fried shrimp and fried kalamari today - pieces of my daughters' meals. But I also had more water, no meat that I can remember, gazpacho, salad and tuna for lunch, and squash with freekeh. And for the first day (at least so far) no chocolate.

I still think I ate too much, but it has been so helpful to undertake this challenge.

Here's a thought for you folks giving up sugar...and you KNOW you are craving it.....

Simple carbs (sugar...white flour....alcohol...bananas, potatoes, corn, carrots)....turn to sugar in your system. As it is metabolized, if not used...it is stored...as fat.

So, as you are watching "sugar", also be aware of sugar "substitutes".

I am starting the Ultra Simple Diet tomorrow. My co-workers and boss are all doing it, so we are all geared up for it. Cutting out sugar is tough. I really don't turn to sugar a lot, but all of the sauces, etc... have sugars so it's taking a really conscious effort not to eat it.

I think that is wonderful, especially considering you are concerned about the prospect of diabetes in your family. Better to nip it in the bud before it becomes diabetes. Much much better.

I am half way on board. For the last few months, I have given up (most) of my sweets. Ok it is not as intense as what you are doing. I still eat carbs, Istill eat sugar. But now only in my coffee (one, a double double a day and that is it, but god it is enough!). I cut out all my sweets; and that is an accomplishment for me. I've dropped the few extra pounds that I had gained without adjusting my exercise all that much (but eating better makes me feel better, which in turn, makes me WANT to work out more and feel even fitter).

It really is true; sugar is hiding in so much. There were times I def. did cut the sugar completely; and it did have a positive impact. And it made me more aware. So even for that fact; I think trying to go a while without it is good as far as making a person more conscious of what they are putting in their bodies. And that helps you make better choices on a moment by moment basis.

Journeynow, do you mind if I ask if you are Canadian? Just wondering...because wondering if you are going to Thanksgiving sugar free or not. And if you are, what your plan is.

Canadian Thanksgiving: coming up!! Oct. 14.

Americun Thanksgiving : later. haha.

I like to celebrate both because it's my favorite holiday of all. Favorite made up excuse to stuff our faces and drink tea and all get together in sweaters. Mmm love it!

Well I'm thinking if Journeynow is Canadian...then she would need to figure out how to avoid/substitute all those pies and treats that flood the tables at this time of the month.

My bf suffers from season depression.

And is a culinary trained chef.

So, this time of year, he finds comfort in cooking "fall foods"....high calories stuff.

It is all I can do to stay "normal" with eating and working out.

Have to say, Tday is a "holiday" I would/do give up in a minute. Who travels hours to hang w/ dysfunctional family just to eat a turkey dinner? Have never figured that out

Journeynow, do you mind if I ask if you are Canadian? Just wondering...because wondering if you are going to Thanksgiving sugar free or not. And if you are, what your plan is.

I'm not Canadian, but I wish Thanksgiving in the U.S. were celebrated on the same day as Canadian Thanksgiving. It's a better time to travel, weather-wise and with longer daylight. There is so much good food to eat on Thanksgiving, I don't think omitting sugar would be an issue (and I can't eat wheat, so that's my main food limitation). I wouldn't make a big deal of it though (I probably won't be the only one too full for pie) and in social settings I'm sensitive to the overall situation, as it's not just about me. I might modify my plan to allow for cranberry sauce.

mhowe, I thought all food is converted to glucose in the body, and is either used or stored. I understand some quicker than others, and some trigger a bigger spike and drop in blood sugar. Lol, all holidays are made up holidays.

Day 5

Ok this is a great discovery. I ate yogurt (yes, it was Greek yogurt with honey already mixed in, but I am allowing it) with walnuts for breakfast, fritatas, more eggs, kale, salmon, a bit of beef, and bacon at brunch (tapas), and squash soup with yogurt for dinner, plus a bit of cheese and pepperoni off the top of my daughter's pizza. I thought I would have blown through my calorie allotment for the day. While I am not on a diet, I am tracking what I eat to help keep me focused.

I ended the day UNDER my calorie budget! Amazing.

I continue to cheat with bits of solid high-quality dark chocolate. It is almost all gone. That will cure that problem...

IThinkICan, I like your signature, "It's not having what you want/It's wanting what you've got". I guess that's fitting for this challenge!

I'm focusing on veggies, especially leafy greens. The more I eat of those, the less I crave sweets. I am allowing for some dried fruit, which is pretty sweet. I have kale in the garden still, and made this last night (although I sauteed the kale to have a hot meal, and used gluten-free bread and parmesan cheese rather than pecorino):

link removed

This is day 6 sugar-free. It was a cool, rainy, gray day, and chocolate crossed my mind, but I did not give into temptation when I was buying groceries. Phew.

Archived