Anyone else do this?

oitnb

I'm seeking consuling, so soon I will have this under control and know what it is and why I do it. I'm just wondering if any of you have also struggled with this? Or something similar to it?

When I'm stressed/sad/angry/ basically any negative emotion, I pick my scalp. Until it bleeds. And then a scab forms and I pick it again. I have a few small bald spots from it.

I also pick at the skin around my toes (gross I know). It's so weird. I've googled it and the most I can find is something called trichlomania or something but it's classified as hair pulling and I don't pull my hair. I just compulsively scratch scratch scratch until it scabs and then I pick that.

Anyone else have this issue? I feel like such a weirdo, no one else really relates to it.

Edit : the only other person I've known to do this is my old best friend, and she only really did it once she knew I did. I think she subconsciously picked up on it or something, since we were around each other so much.

I don't do that, but when I am stressed, concentrating or even just zoning out I clench my teeth & suck on the insides of my cheeks just a bit. So I pretty much always have a little sore on either side of the insides of my cheeks.

It's unconscious, which makes it even more difficult to stop doing something when you don't even realize you are doing it!

I've always heard that the way to stop doing something is to replace it with something else. I don't know what to replace my habit with, but for yours maybe your counseling involves doing something with your hands when you're feeling stressed?

I don't do that, but when I am stressed, concentrating or even just zoning out I clench my teeth & suck on the insides of my cheeks just a bit. So I pretty much always have a little sore on either side of the insides of my cheeks.

It's unconscious, which makes it even more difficult to stop doing something when you don't even realize you are doing it!

I've always heard that the way to stop doing something is to replace it with something else. I don't know what to replace my habit with, but for yours maybe your counseling involves doing something with your hands when you're feeling stressed?

Yeah sometimes I don't even realize I'm doing it until the damage is done. It's so strange. I do think the idea of finding something to do with my hands instead is good!

When I'm stressed/sad/angry/ basically any negative emotion, I pick my scalp. Until it bleeds. And then a scab forms and I pick it again. I have a few small bald spots from it.

I also pick at the skin around my toes (gross I know). It's so weird. I've googled it and the most I can find is something called trichlomania or something but it's classified as hair pulling and I don't pull my hair. I just compulsively scratch scratch scratch until it scabs and then I pick that.

Anyone else have this issue? I feel like such a weirdo, no one else really relates to it.

You'd be surprised to see how many people do things under stress and feel weird.

I chew the skin on the inside of my cheeks and pick my cuticles. I've come to accept these habits as OK. I used to smoke cigarettes, so, the chewing and picking I do is the lesser of the evils.

Counseling may very well help. I wish you luck.

You'd be surprised to see how many people do things under stress and feel weird.

I chew the skin on the inside of my cheeks and pick my cuticles. I've come to accept these habits as OK. I used to smoke cigarettes, so, the chewing and picking I do is the lesser of the evils.

Counseling may very well help. I wish you luck.

Yeah... Thank you! It just makes me sad no one in my life really takes it seriously. They all tease me and say "ew bah stop" and ik they're just trying to be light hearted about it but it really is a serious issue for me.

I used to get sores on the back of my head in high school back when I was REALLY depressed. I used to pick at them constantly and actually did give myself a small bald spot during my junior year.

Once I stopped being so stressed out, the sores went away.

My ex had thrichlomania and used to pull his hair constantly but especially when stressed. Come exam time, he always wore a lot of hats to prevent himself from going bald. I was always smacking his hand away from his hair.

I used to get sores on the back of my head in high school back when I was REALLY depressed. I used to pick at them constantly and actually did give myself a small bald spot during my junior year.

Once I stopped being so stressed out, the sores went away.

My ex had thrichlomania and used to pull his hair constantly but especially when stressed. Come exam time, he always wore a lot of hats to prevent himself from going bald. I was always smacking his hand away from his hair.

So it's not just me! I have a few tiny bald spots, thankfully I can part my hair to the side and there not visible. And yeah, I do it 10000x more when I'm stressed or in a negative mood.

yeah my mum used to say like all the time if you pulled out your middle hair all your hair would fall out...so as a kid i used to pull out my hair always trying to find the middle one which has become a horrible habit As for my feet i try not to but i love doing the excate same thing! gross as it is =)

It's done subconsiously- isn't it? They aren't aware they're doing it?

My oldest takes things apart (like pens) while thinking/talking and doesn't realize what he's doing.

My youngest does what you do, although he pulls at his eyelashes. I think it's a nerve thing, yes. We've looked into it and we came up with same thing you did.

We've tried to make him 'aware' when he's doing it and stop! He's actually done okay, (is 12 now) and doesn't do it nearly as much now.

Yes, is a little odd, eh? But, we're all different. Just try your best to catch yourself doing it and work on stopping it.

yeah my mum used to say like all the time if you pulled out your middle hair all your hair would fall out...so as a kid i used to pull out my hair always trying to find the middle one which has become a horrible habit As for my feet i try not to but i love doing the excate same thing! gross as it is =)

It relives me so much to know people are struggling with something similar to this. And yeah, the worst is the the toes thing. It's sooo gross and as a female I take pride in my feet looking pretty but that's hard to do when I'm constantly picking at the skin

It's done subconsiously- isn't it? They aren't aware they're doing it?

My oldest takes things apart (like pens) while thinking/talking and doesn't realize what he's doing.

My youngest does what you do, although he pulls at his eyelashes. I think it's a nerve thing, yes. We've looked into it and we came up with same thing you did.

We've tried to make him 'aware' when he's doing it and stop! He's actually done okay, (is 12 now) and doesn't do it nearly as much now.

Yes, is a little odd, eh? But, we're all different. Just try your best to catch yourself doing it and work on stopping it.

Usually it's subconscious but sometimes I am aware I'm doing it but don't care. I started doing it when I was young too! Around the age of eight, if I'm remembering correctly.

Archived