Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Worth moving to Texas

SurfThyme

My company wants to relocate me to the States permanently. Although I can move anywhere my preference is leaning towards Texas (Austin region). I travel as part of my job and have been to Texas numerous times and like it very much. However, I don't have too much knowledge of living there. Houses are really well priced but how about all the rest? Anyone from Texas have any advice/opinions?

Austin is an awesome place to live, that is where I live. 100 people move to Austin each day... Come on down for bbq, hike and bike trail, breakfast tacos, live music sixth street, fourth street, second street and the austonian, the tallest residential tower westof the mississippi.... come on down !!! We'll save a place for you.

Housing is really cheap in Texas... you can get a lot more for your money there... but it is really hot in summer, there are scorpions, killer bees and fire ants too! You also don't pay state income tax which is fabulous.

It depends on whether you think you'll like the climate and terrain there and the heat. I have a friend who LOVES the heat, but she used to complain about Texas in the summer and all the bugs there. She used to email me about stepping over scorpions in the McDonald's parking lot and a continual war on ants and bugs.

Texas has a unique culture that revolves around football and is very steeped in the 'cowboy' and hispanic culture... great mexican food too! But like anywhere, you can probably find people you have things in common with, but it is definitely the 'South' and a different vibe from other places in the country.

I'd suggest a vacation to go check it out before you decide. My brother lived there and loved it, but he was really into hunting, guns, pick up trucks, and mexican food! I personally don't particularly care for the climate or the terrain or relate to a place that worships football as much as God. and so many many of the women seem to dye their hair blonde and fluff it up... Texas still does 'big hair' and cowboy boots and doesn't work for me!

it's also got a culture where kiddie beauty pageants and cheerleader's mother fighting with each other to secure their daughters a place on the squad as if it were more important than college is commonplace. So definitely a unique culture and depending on where you live now and where you were brought up, it could be culture shock.

• 2 weeks later...

I was born in Houston and lived there for a while. Definitely could not handle the summer heat. My mom also complained about flooding where we lived. We moved out to California and have been here ever since, but the cost of living here is outrageous. I'd take the heat and dust and bugs over near-starvation any day, lol.

My company wants to relocate me to the States permanently. Although I can move anywhere my preference is leaning towards Texas (Austin region). I travel as part of my job and have been to Texas numerous times and like it very much. However, I don't have too much knowledge of living there. Houses are really well priced but how about all the rest? Anyone from Texas have any advice/opinions?

Your company wants you to move to the states, but you can choose where --- or did they give you options? Since travel is part of the job, will you be bi-coastal, or a specific region?

Your company wants you to move to the states, but you can choose where --- or did they give you options? Since travel is part of the job, will you be bi-coastal, or a specific region?

I do a lot of traveling for work and I can work from my home office so I can choose anywhere. I've stayed in Texas for weeks at a time and I liked what I saw. And yes, I've been in Texas in July and I remember the heat but so long I don't get sunburned I'm okay with it. I've spent the summers in some of the hottest and most humid spots (Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Oklahoma, Hawaii, etc) in the States so I know what I am getting into regarding the heat.

I just wanted to hear about living in the area as opposed to visiting even if for a few weeks at a time.

Thanks to everyone for the info. As it happens, I found out I am going to be going there in August and will take a look at housing. I know Round Rock, Cedar Park, Georgetown are good neighborhoods in Austin but I can't imagine the drive to the airport with Austin traffic. Any suggestions of good (safe) neighborhoods at the south end of Austin?

Archived