Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Teaching English Abroad

LonelyMoondancer

Has anyone ever done this? I'm considering applying to teach in Paris for about three months in the fall, or next spring. I am basically taking this upcoming year to dabble in everything that interests me, learn about myself, and also work towards grad school in psychology. Teaching English isn't relevant to that in a very obvious or direct way, but I feel like this experience would help me as a person in general. Aside from having a huge desire to see Paris, I also love kids and the English language, and have enjoyed being an ESL teaching assistant in the past. I also feel like I've never truly been on my own. I'm hoping to study in the states in 2015, and I think this would be great preparation for being on my own, as well as this being the only time I can really do this.

But while I know I'd love to do this, I'm posting to get opinions because I'm hearing mixed things about whether or not it would be good for me and my circumstances. I have some friends who think it would be the perfect thing for me, because it would prepare me for possibly studying in another country down the road, and allow me to try something new in a city I've loved all my life. On the other hand, my brother seems to think it's a bad idea because it'll look like a vacation on my resume for grad school, and that I'd be wasting three months in regards to gaining psychology related experience. As it is now, I have two research assistant positions in my city, and I volunteer with an autistic child, and going away would mean taking a break or stopping those. I would hate to jeopardize my chances of getting into grad school if there's any truth to that, but I feel like there is also value in doing something new. Is this something people only do if they want to become teachers? Or would it be worth it for me to apply regardless?

I think it hugely valueable experience no matter what field you go in to. I taught ESL abroad for a year (although my goal was to be a teacher and I am still one now). I think what you learn by knowing different cultures, people and so on can relate to any field of work. I don't think it will hurt your chances to get into grad school or find a job afterwards.

Good luck!

My daughter taught English to children in South Korea for two years. I think that she learned the culture and found it interesting, however, she had her fill of it after the two years and returned to the United States. She told me that it is very difficult to get an assignment in places such as Paris for the simple reason that many people want to go there as you do. Also, it usually requires a one year commitment with the school in the form of a contract. The school pays for your air fare to the location and back to your home, providing that you complete the one year contract. The housing that she was provided with consisted of a studio apartment and is walking distance from the school. I think that you would have better luck if you applied for such a position with one of the Asian countries such as China, Japan, etc. There is a huge demand for teachers teaching English in those countries. The salary that she received was sufficient to "get by". She did not need a car, used public transportation. Her housing, while meager, was provided for. I think that she enjoyed the children.

i would look into what opportunities there are for teaching English in Paris and also if it is possible to do for 3 months only. ...chi

The program I found is a three month program in Paris and other parts of France. You don't really make any money- it's more for the experience that you do it. You get matched to a pre-screened family, and receive free food and board in exchange for teaching the host family English for fifteen hours a week. I am all for applying and going, but I worry about losing the opportunities I have here in my own city that are relevant to psychology. I'm guessing once I apply for grad school, it's okay to branch out and do other things after? I don't know what looks better for grad school- sticking to my commitments and spending more time with the projects I have going, or trying something new but different. I feel scared somehow to do this, knowing full well that I don't want to be a teacher in the long run. It's just an experience I'd like to have for a short time in my life.

I don't think it would make you not get into grad school, and I don't think they would see it as a 'vacation', but it seemed like in your last thread you were excited about the opportunities you have here. The ones you have here do sound more psychology-related, if I remember correctly from your last thread. However, if the teaching thing is something you really want to do, you might not have another chance. Maybe you should just apply and see what happens.

I am definitely excited and grateful for what I have going on here, but come fall, I will no longer have summer school, and will have a ton of free time, even with the research hours and the volunteering. The writing internships I have are done from home, so I am not worried about those. But you're right in that I can't do it all. If I teach in Paris, I'll have to stop the psych related stuff, at least for three months. By October, my grad school applications will be sent off, and to be honest, they won't know or care what psych related things I'm doing in the months after. Which makes me think I should grab this opportunity, if not for the guilt that I'd feel for abandoning my current opportunities in exchange for something more "exciting". I'm honestly horrible at making decisions for myself, as my threads probably show. I never know when to do the "right" thing or when to do something for myself.

I got multiple friends who are teaching in Shanghai, Japan, and South Korea. I badly wish I could go for it, but can't with my upcoming marriage and my fiance unable to travel overseas with me.

Teach in China... you will make a lot more money than in Paris. SUPER, super cheap to work and live there. A good buddy of mine told me on Skype last week that a 20 oz Coca-Cola costs a quarter and there is always a TON of things/night life to do around there. He has $50,000 saved in his account within a year of teaching in Shanghai because everything is so dirt cheap, and he plans to come back home and buy a house. He's taught in both Japan and Shanghai... he loves Japan more aside from the money he makes in China.

I would be skeptic to go to South Korea with the stuff going on in N. Korea atm though... they are baiting any English teacher they can get because many people are scared to come over there and teach. A couple of my friends over there are trying to finish their contracts and leave the country soon.

I would be skeptic to go to South Korea with the stuff going on in N. Korea atm though... they are baiting any English teacher they can get because many people are scared to come over there and teach. A couple of my friends over there are trying to finish their contracts and leave the country soon.

I totally agree with this. I am so glad my daughter got out of South Korea before this trouble started. She has been back in the states for about a year and a half now.

The program I found is a three month program in Paris and other parts of France. You don't really make any money- it's more for the experience that you do it. You get matched to a pre-screened family, and receive free food and board in exchange for teaching the host family English for fifteen hours a week.

Ok, this is a entirely different type of program than my daughter was in. My own personal opinion is that you just should do it. I don't think that you will regret it if you do it. It sounds like you will need to bring a bit of money with you if you go because you will need it to really enjoy yourself; buy things in french shops and just in general to have a good time in pubs or what not. Do it!! ....chi

I think I've decided for now, to apply for this, but to do it next spring instead of earlier. When and if I get into graduate school and once I know where I'll be, I'll reward myself with this experience, because I know Paris won't be going anywhere. For now, I have to suck it up though and remember my responsibilities close to home. I need to be doing everything I can to get into grad school, and I would regret dropping my current opportunities too early. I don't want to bring a guilty conscience to Paris!

By the way, thanks for all the opinions. It's always easier to make a decision with such kind input and support.

Archived