After a date rape

Not a rookie

Last year a friend of mine got date raped.

She was drugged so she can't remember what happened.

She went to the police and went under forensic investigation.

The police summoned her clothes to look for further evidence.

They have contacted her and told her no evidence has been found on her skirt, shirt and other belongings.

They(the police) told her she can collect these clothing items if she wants to.

Otherwise the police will destroy all of the clothing she has handed over.

She is rather confused about this.

If you got date raped, would you go collect pieces of clothing which reminded you of that day? Or would you let the police destroy all of that?

She was rather traumatised by this event.

I have no clue how to respond to her so I am not sure what to tell her.

What's your advice?

Last year a friend of mine got date raped.

She was drugged so she can't remember what happened.

She went to the police and went under forensic investigation.

The police summoned her clothes to look for further evidence.

They have contacted her and told her no evidence has been found on her skirt, shirt and other belongings.

They(the police) told her she can collect these clothing items if she wants to.

Otherwise the police will destroy all the clothing.

She is rather confused about this.

If you got date raped, would go collect pieces of clothing which reminded you of that day? Or would you let the police destroy all of that?

She was rather traumatised by this event.

I have no clue how to respond to her so I am not sure what to tell her.

What's your advice?

From a practical point of view I would say there is no point in collecting her clothes unless she is interested in sending it to another lab. Even then it is better for her not to collect these clothes since they are in a secure location now. It would have been better of course if the evidence was collected right after it happened, I would think chances are high crucial evidence if there ever was any is probably lost forever.

I dated a girl who was drugged/raped. She didnt put it together until I convinced her. She knew she was raped and passing in and out of consciousness. It never occurred to her that she was drugged. She remembered waking up for a second and knows who did it.

I have tried go convince her to tell the police, even just to protect future girls from getting raped.

I am horrified that some men would do this to a woman. To see the impact this has had on her if heartbreaking.

Destroy the clothes and seek therapy for her. In sorry to hear about this. Thank her for reporting it though. We need women do keep reporting so we can catch these scumbags.

A friend of mine was raped and her clothing was also examined for evidence. I remember her being very upset that the police took her coat (it was winter time) and she wasn't sure if htey were going to get it back or not. I remembered thinking "it's odd that she is so concerned about her coat after having been raped - especially since it must remind her of it", but then she explained to me that it was just a further reminder how little control she had over the situation.

We pooled our resources and bought her a brand new coat similar to the one she had lost. She really appreciated it.

Only your friend can sort out how she feels about the clothing and whether she wants it back or not. All you can do as her friend is be there for her and try to help her through it whatever she decides. Good luck!

Archived