Bleached hair disaster- all breaking off :'( how can i make it grow faster?

thank you silverbirch.x I will certainly have a look at that website to see if I can find a short style that suits me. I guess it is just ''taking the plunge'' that is the hard part. Lovinggirl I have heard a lot of good things about coconut oil but it is not readily available here in the UK so I may order some online as I have heard it is very conditioning. Today I cut off an inch off my frazzled length before I washed it. The short snapped off bits underneath my main layers are driving me mad.( How did I not notice this earlier ) At least I havent blow dried my hair for over a week now, Ive just let it dry naturally and I am not using straighteners.

When I was 16 I had another major bleach disaster so you would have thought I would have learned now, aged 28. But that time my hair didnt break off, it was just a terrible colour for a while and I got the condition back with kerastase products which is what I am using now. I also had a mullet cut when I was 19 and I cried for 3 weeks as the layers were so very short. You are right, I need t start loving my hair x

When we are younger our hair is easier to repair. Just like the rest of of us. As we get older our hair gets older like the rest of us.

I know it is not easy to take the plunge if you have long hair to go to shorter hair. It is really kind of scary. I know I was happy with the results when I did that. Unbroken hair also grows much better.

• 4 years later...
thank you to those of you offering suggestions and your own stories and not so many thanks to the people saying ''sounds like a mess'' or ''nothing will make your hair grow''. I am fully aware I have made a hash of my hair and I do think I will have to start again but I was interested to hear from people who have been in similar situations.

I think I will have to get it cut short. I dont want to but apart from shaving it all off I dont think I have a choice. I keep looking at it and it looks worse every time I look in the mirror.

My other option would be to wear it up loosly every day for as long as possible. The problem I have is that when it air dries it looks terrible as it is so frizzy. Even before all the bleach is was very frizzy as coarse red hair often is. I dont want to blow dry it due to the damage but then I have to work 6 days a week and it needs to look presentable at work and the mega frizzy bleach look is not good. Again that brings me back to having it cut short.

Regarding a wig, I dont think wigs look very realistic unless you have money to invest. Especially wigs on pale white girls like me. I dont have the money to spend on a good wig right now.

I was contemplating going darker and close as possible to my natural colour, but I may have to not touch it for a few weeks or it might make the condition worse.

If I was gona get extensions I would maybe look at clip in extensions but I dont know if they would look right alongside the texture of this mess.

I have bought some hair and nails tablets and I have heard biotin is good for hair growth. I may look into that. I have also heard of a shampoo and conditioner called FAST but I do not know if it suitable for bleached hair as it sounds a little harsh.

Any more suggestions welcome

Hi there I know the feeling very well after dying my hair myself

Grew out the blonde in the end for a few years and dyed brown to match

Decided to go blonde again

Because of the tint on the ends I had to have. Bleach highlights

All went well and very happy with colour as looks quite natural and roots won't show as much as the block colour I had before

Until I checked it properly and I have short broken hairs all over my head !!!!

I'm extremely careful brushing and combing and would not of let the hairdresser do it but she combed and brushed it at the sink without me realising (my hairs waist length she must of held it and brushed the lengths)

Hairs still soft and not too bad but highlights go stretchy when wet at the moment

Felt really depressed for about 2 weeks and have been using serum to stick them down which is all very well but makes hair greasy and I'm trying to wash it only twice a week as usual

Now I've accepted it and know for next time

I hope your hair is better don't do anything you will regret more as it will improve soon

Changing partings and how you put your hair up can hide a lot of sins while it grows

My advice would be to wash as little as possible use non greasy leave in conditioner,air dry and only brush when dry very gently a small section at a time starting front the bottom removing knots with fingers first

Good luck

Archived