What is worse for the body Marijuana or alcohol???

Is this a real question?

This is so easy. Alcohol is far, far worse for you.

It's true that pot can make you a bit paranoid, if you've already got those sort of tendancies... I went through a phase where pot made me super paranoid, but it was because of issues I was already having, just as alcohol can make you rage or cry depending on what's already going on inside your head.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a real question?

This is so easy. Alcohol is far, far worse for you.

It's true that pot can make you a bit paranoid, if you've already got those sort of tendancies... I went through a phase where pot made me super paranoid, but it was because of issues I was already having, just as alcohol can make you rage or cry depending on what's already going on inside your head.

It astounds me to this day that people even feel the need to compare these two substances. Their neurochemical mechanisms of action are so wildly different, it's truly like comparing concrete and clouds. The only thing they share in common is some degree of psychoactivity. The debate is over, as for which substance all things considered is worse for the human body and mind, alcohol takes the cake. People who are born into Western culture are indoctrinated that certain drugs are bad, and certain drugs are okay... they rarely if ever change their viewpoints.

The information is out there, and despite government repression of scientific research, the facts are still available and widely published. Every society throughout history chooses to attach labels of "sin" or "immorality" to certain drugs, and glorifies others. In our capitalistic Western society, depressants and stimulants are often glorified while drugs brought to us by outsiders, such as marijuana popularized in the US by Mexican immigrants and Jazz musicians (minorities) are demonized.

Not everything illegal is immoral, and not everything immoral is illegal. Drug use so far as it does not infringe upon the rights of another human being is not an immoral act, and nor should it be an illegal act. The fact that reefer madness still exists today is truly quite a tragedy. Americans are spoon-fed lies starting in elementary schools with DARE programs, above the influence commercials, and then later the media. Our government, and many of our large corporations have a vested interest in keeping marijuana illegal and will spread any kind of propaganda and lies they need to, to ensure it continues to be criminalized in the future. It's sad to hear, otherwise good people spouting proudly inaccuracies and falsities hammered into their brain since youth. For christ sakes people, look beneath the surface and ask questions. ALL DRUGS HAVE RISKS, there's no doubt about that. But be reasonable and accurate in your beliefs about drugs.

How many times have I had to correct someone when they say that, "Shrooms cause your brain to bleed." People actually believe things like that. It really brings a crooked smile to my face. People choose to remain ignorant about the truth about drugs, they fail to see the drug war for what it really is. It's an assault on their liberties, even those non-drug users. It's an assault on American freedom itself.

The research on the acute and long term effects of cannabis use is limited and there just isn't enough to make any major claims on its effects. It's pretty impossible to compare it with alcohol because not enough is know about it.

There are some studies that indicate it can cause cancer, brain abnormalities and respiratory problems and some have provided results that it can affect liver function too. None of these are good enough to say it definitely has a detrimental effect. It has a very low lethal toxicity and in the acute dose nothing of any clinical significance happens as a direct result of cannabis use.

Alcohol, on the other hand, is widely researched and pretty much everything is known about it so of course it's going to be claimed as more dangerous. In the acute dose we know for sure that it is. It's very easy to overdose on alcohol. We also know the long term effects of addiction and heavy use.

Alcohol has physical and psychological addictive qualities. Cannabis, as far as we know, has just pyschological addictive qualities. Currently, in my opinion, alcohol is more dangerous than cannabis use especially in acute doses. Long term use the info is there for alcohol but not for cannabis so I won't even bother comparing the two.

Well weed is worse than cigarettes because it impairs your judgement, where cigarettes do not, say if you were to go drive a car.

I don't think there are enough studies to prove this. I know people that smoke pot and they are better focused when smoking then not.

And cigarettes kill more, I strongly believe they are just a legal designer drug government is allowing to exist, to get collect tax while trying to convince the public it's 'bad' for you

Look at how many accidents, deaths, injuries are related to alcohol. Do you ever see any ads for "don't smoke marijuana and drive"? Never. The only time you really hear anything about marijuana is when people are getting arrested over for it. A waste of tax money in my opinion when there are so many benefits to marijuana when used correctly yet the government doesn't want to do anything about it.

And don't get me wrong, I don't smoke nor drink and not trying to defend the pot heads. But I have yet to see any solid evidence that marijuana is worse than people that cannot control themselves after drinking causing injury, permanent damage and often times drive themselves to death or involve other innocent victims.

There are no evidence that suggest marijuana will kill you with long term use. The risk is there but unlike cigarette smokers who smoke more than one a day, marijuana users don't go smoking pot after pot.

Besides there hasn't been any case of death because of overdose in marijuana 'alone' unless they were mixed with alcohol and other recreational drugs that were found during an autopsy.

I always think, I rather have bunch of pot heads outside the company while we are dealing with highly stressed individuals that go out for quick 10-minute cigarette breaks every hour to get high on nicotine.

The research on the acute and long term effects of cannabis use is limited and there just isn't enough to make any major claims on its effects. It's pretty impossible to compare it with alcohol because not enough is know about it.

There are some studies that indicate it can cause cancer, brain abnormalities and respiratory problems and some have provided results that it can affect liver function too. None of these are good enough to say it definitely has a detrimental effect. It has a very low lethal toxicity and in the acute dose nothing of any clinical significance happens as a direct result of cannabis use.

I agree with most of what you said with the exception of that research is limited enough to make any major claims on it's effects. Yes, research is limited to an extent, but there is ample evidence to support the claims or organizations such as NORML, and the MPP. Have you ever heard of anecdotal evidence? Up until the mid-20th century, it was considered the best evidence we had in medicine. There are some things we simple can't recreate in a laboratory, and we know from a history of thousands of years of use (and nearly 100 years of use as medicine in America, in the form of Cannabis Indica tincture) many things about marijuana that no laboratory study is going to tell us.

There are many studies that will say something along the lines of, "Marijuana contains some of the cancer causing compounds that are found in tobacco." For one, it's good to pay attention to who funded them, NIDA perhaps? Secondly, there are many other factors at play such as the anti-carcinogenic properties of THC, the quantities that need to be consumed to be considered harmful.

I mean to press matters further, our drinking water contains cancer causing compounds. It makes one want to say at this point, so what? Anecdotal evidence has show, thus far that marijuana does not cause cancer, and as far as we know the research and experimental evidence is overwhelmingly erring toward the side that marijuana is not as harmful as the prohibitionists say, in spite of their restrictions on studies. I think if marijuana was as bad as the DEA, and NIDA would like us to believe they'd never hesitate the fund a study. The fact is, we've known marijuana to be a relatively benign drug (with consequences nonetheless) for a good portion of modern history.

well, more people smoke cigarettes than smoke weed. so of course cigs are worse. if everyone smoked weed as much as people smoked cigs, i think you'd see a huge shift in death. it would definitely increase.

This is patently untrue. Sorry.

I said research is limited because much of it has been done on animals, and while that provides us with some evidence, it doesn't apply all that much to humans. There aren't that many proper scientific, valid and reliable studies out there about acute and longterm effects on humans, nor are there many recent studies. Anecdotal evidence is great as a start, but it shouldn't stop there.

marijuana smoke is worse than cigarette smoke. that has been proven. smoke is bad for your lungs anyway. and nobody had died from overdose on cigs either. so your point doesn't justify anything on cigs vs. weed.

How many have died because of long term smoking? Lung cancer? We're not talking short term OD here. Where do you get your information that marijuana smoke is worse than cigarette smoke? Do you understand the chemicals that's inside each cigarette? Of 4,000 chemicals inside 43 are carcinogen and you're telling me cigarette smoke is better than marijuana?

I'm not trying to start an argument here but just questioning how you can say marijuana smoking is worse than cigarette smoking.

Decades ago...in the 1930's, 1940's and 1950's smoking was considered the in thing to do. Nobody knew about the health ramifications...so commercials would often have "physicians" touting brands of cigarettes. Cigarette smoking was made cool in the movies. Smoking became the norm. Then once people started having major health problems, research started really looking into the links between cigarette smoke and health problems...that is when the tide started turning. Right now marijuana is illegal so it is not mainstream...if you make it legal then it will become acceptable and fashionable like cigarette smoking once was...then you will really find out the health ramifications...studies will be commissioned links will ultimately be made, just like with cigarettes.

This is patently untrue. Sorry.

How many have died because of long term smoking? Lung cancer? We're not talking short term OD here. Where do you get your information that marijuana smoke is worse than cigarette smoke? Do you understand the chemicals that's inside each cigarette? Of 4,000 chemicals inside 43 are carcinogen and you're telling me cigarette smoke is better than marijuana?

I'm not trying to start an argument here but just questioning how you can say marijuana smoking is worse than cigarette smoking.

are you guys serious?

i understand how many people have died from long term smoking. look around, it seems just about everyone smokes cigs these days. you don't see everyone walking around with a joint though. so the numbers will be slim.

weed is much more harsh than tobacco. i understand all the crap they put in cigs too. do you know where you get your weed from and what it is it? no you don't. it's like sitting over a campfire and breathing in whatever is burning. no smoke is good for you in any case.

i have no idea why you keep asking where i get my information that weed isn't worse than cig smoke. i haven't seen you proven otherwise either. all you have is a number that says X amount of people died from cigs. billions of people smoke cigs. so there is your number. not as many weed smokers by far. so that number is just about nil compared to it.

If there were any deaths related to long terms use of marijuana we would've heard it by now. But there aren't any, not enough to justify that marijuana smoking will eventually have the same results as smoking cigarettes for say 20 years.

There are so many marijuana smokers out there. Sure we don't hear about it or see it often because in most countries it's illegal. They estimate over 147 million people smoke cannibis whether it's short term or long term. That's about close to 3% of the population in the world. There are esimated over 1 billion people that smoke tabacco products but if there are over 147 million people that smoke marijuana, we would've heard or read something about the effects of long term use in marijuana. Even WHO doesn't say marijuana in long term use would cause cancer though there are other negative effects from long term use.

And again, I'm not saying smoke marijuana instead of smoking cigarettes as I don't condone either. My father was a very heavy smoker, so bad that the ceilings and walls that were white were tainted yellow. Another reason why I probably have my asthma since very little.

It's just funny listening to people that completely get upset when it comes to marijuana as if it's the world's most dangerous drug. It does upset me when there are millions suffering from certain diseases that could be properly aided with medical marijuana and ease the pain for these people. I just don't think the government is doing enough nor educating people on this topic.

i under stand its bad to be under the infulence of it because of all the dangerous things that may happen but im jsut wondering about how dangerius it is to the body compared to alchohol because alchohl is leagal compared to weed which is not

Well if you are talking about individuals - like how dangerous it is for me or you, and not talking about society then I would say the following.

The idea that cannabis is harmless, I think is really not true.

Studies have picked up the following:

*Heavy cannabis smoking can cause gum disease. A study found that after adjusting for tobacco use heavy cannabis smokers had three times the risk of having established gum disease by the age of 32. Researchers concluded this was likely to be a result of increased toxins in cannabis smoke and deeper inhalation compared to cigarettes. (Cannabis Smoking and Periodontal Disease Among Young Adults, Journal of the American Medical Association 2008 W. Murray Thomson and others).

*"Heavy cannabis users may be at greater risk of chronic lung disease - including cancer - compared to tobacco smokers." link removed "One study found a higher risk of lung cancer for those who smoked one joint a day compared with those who smoked 20 cigarettes a day over the same period. Another found bullous disease - a form of emphysema - occurs 20 years earlier in cannabis smokers."

*There may be a link between cannabis use and mental illness. Some research has suggested that cannabis users are 40% more likely than non-users to suffer a psychotic illness such as schizophrenia. Other studies suggest cannabis could be a factor in 14% of psychotic problems among young adults in the UK. (Dr Stanley Zammit, and others The Lancet 2007). However the authors note that that people who are at a higher risk of mental illness may be more likely to use the drug.

With alcohol, yes it can be very dangerous, but the difference on the individual is that if you treat it with respect (which most people do not) - for example no drink driving, sticking to government recommended limits on alcohol (admittedly who does that??) then I would say personally that I feel alcohol is safer (subject to the above conditions). However because people have to drink to excess it has the potential to be extremely dangerous.

thereforeeee I say "responsible" use of alcohol (no drink driving and remaining under government daily and weekly limits always) is (in my opinion subject to conditions) safer than cannabis. But badly used alcohol is very dangerous. I think the problem is that alcohol and it's effects are well known whereas some effects of cannabis are not yet known. Please remember that I am not medically qualified - it's just my opinion from what I have read.

^^^^^^^haha who's upset. you are all in a tizzy. and of course mary jane isn't the worst drug out there. nobody ever said that. is it worse than alcohol? on the body i think so.

i'm all for it for medical purposes.

I'm not upset at all. I'm presenting the facts rather than arguing or trying to start a fight.

And for the record I never said cannibis is not harmless. Ever. I do apologize for going off topic but I wanted to clear up some often misunderstood topic.

Alcohol, I think it's completely a different level of discussion.

I'm not upset at all. I'm presenting the facts rather than arguing or trying to start a fight.

And for the record I never said cannibis is not harmless. Ever. I do apologize for going off topic but I wanted to clear up some often misunderstood topic.

Alcohol, I think it's completely a different level of discussion.

i have yet to see your facts on where mary jane is better than cigs. but agree to disagree again.

I'm sure just like everything else there will be some long term effects.

But think of it this way. Weed can be prescribed for some health issues, I never heard of a doctor saying "6 shots of vodka will do the trick". I also never heard recently of someone dying and the news says it was due to smoking pot. However, liver failure is just to name one of the many things that have been contributed to alcohol.

Just my opinion, alcohol is more damaging.

Read any research paper on the subject. Alcohol is way worse. link removed

There are a number of political reason why marijuana is illegal, none of which I will go into here as its not relevant but there are many resources on the subject if you are interested.

people become paraylyzed, brain dead, amputated/decapitated, burnt & so on from car accidents alone due to impaired judgement while under the influence...now if that isnt damage done to the body then i dont know what is...it doesnt matter at what point of the 'high/buzz' that the bodily damage is done. nor does it matter whether or not the damage is in the form of cancer to the liver due to alcohol, or in the form of lung cancer caused by smoking...

That doesn't count though. Impairment is a direct result of marijuana, but the possible affects of impairment are completely indirect results of marijuana use and do not count as possible side affects to the body. Operating an iPod can cause you to become paraylyzed, brain dead, amputated/decapitated, burnt & so on if you operate an iPod while driving. But you wouldn't say that a side affect of using an iPod is possible brain damage and decapitation! lol.

pete89 SAID:

"but alcohol

1.kills brain cells( weed does not)

2.is addictive( weed is not)

3. can be overdosed(weed can not)

4. kills people every day( weed never once in history)

5. can lead to violence ( weed does not)"

you are:

1.WRONG BOTH DO

2.WRONG BOTH DO

3.right in some sense...

4.WRONG BOTH DO

5.SOMETIMES RIGHT, but pot can also cause depression & that can lead to violence...

1. Where does it say that marijuana kills brain cells or is in other words, neurotoxic which is essentially what the question is asking. There is no research out there that indicates marijuana is neurotoxic.

2. There is no research that inidcates THC (the active ingredient in marijuana) to be a physically addictive substance

3. Right. You cannot overdose..... and as a result...

4. No! You cannot overdose and thereforeeee cannot directly die from marijuana use.

5. Who said pot causes depression?

all it does is release saratonin chemical from your brain to make you feel temporarily happy!!

link removed

(& doin that alot CAN & WILL make u run out of that chemical!!) leading to permanant depression & all those other problems post depression!!

link removed. You've got your drugs mixed up there.

not an expert but I think Pot is most likely to kill you, I mean it kills more brain cells then alcohol... and you can go to reavilitation for both but only for alcohol you can really be cured because with pot you can stop using it but you are pretty much be someone with no-brain. pot kills you faster.

link removed

Alcohol kills more brain cells and does more damage to you then marijuana. In fact, link removed

Its sad to see people brainwashed by propaganda that went out of style in the 40s!

Both drugs can be done in moderation and you'll be totally fine! And I'll throw this out there too, that use of other non-addictive drugs such as mdma, ketamine, lsd, and psylocybin can also be used in moderation with little to no neurotoxicity or toxicity to the body if done properly and responsibly. Of course I am definitely NOT condoning doing these drugs (as fun as they are!), but just pointing out that the human body is a very resilient vessel and when drugs are used responsibly you can do little to no permanent damage and lead a completely normal and reasonably healthy life.

think about it. alcohol passes through you in 24 hours. weed lasts about a month. that's gotta say something.

Not really... What does it say?

Know how long bubble gum stays in your system?

smoke is bad for your lungs anyway. and nobody had died from overdose on cigs either.

Lol... actually thousands die a year from smoking!