QUESTION:WHO IS SUPPOSED TO PAY ON A DATE?

Ok well I was going to say they should pay for their own.....

BUT on a first date I would say the guy should pay.... then maybe the second date the girl should offer to pay.... then the guy for the third...

If the guy has more money then he knows what I do with and the girl doesnt have that much then I think the guy should ALWAYS pay

here's what i do personally. first date i always offer to pay regardless of who asked who out. if she interjects and wants to pay her meal, i dont argue with her. i dont think you should insist on paying just to look macho or powerful or whatever in this day and age.

the second date i will ask for separate additions right from the getgo. i want to make sure she isnt using me for a free meal, so to speak. if she says something like 'oh i forgot my money', get the hell outta there..she's probly using you.

Okay, something a little trickier...

>For the guys: If the girl orders something at dinner that is more than you thought you'd pay for, what do you do?

>For the girls: Do you pick what you want on the menu, or do you pick something that is maybe not what you want, but is very affordable?

>FYI: When I go out, I like to GO ALL OUT. I usually end up throwing in some $$$ to make up for my extravagant eating/drinking ...that is if I'm going out with a guy that isn't "doing well for himself" (read: balling out of control with money-which is not important, but makes a difference when the bill comes, I think)

>Keep the answers coming y'all. I've wondered what people think the etiquette is on this topic...

>Thanks to all who've responded...

Well most restaurants have similiar prices for all meals. I never had a girl do that. Usually they get more or less what I get (most of the time the girls get a salad or something prissy first meal so they don't look like a pig, which is really stupid).

If that happened I would pay and probably evaluate how valuable she is to me.

ForAnother

You can avoid the whole thing by taking her out for hotdogs.

I have always paid, but I always been fortunate that the girls I dated weren't out for a free meal and weren't big eaters.

If the girl did go all out, then that shows some disrespect...and I probably not the type of girl I want to date. I like practicle girls, not girls that have to have this and that.

DBL

DBL: I like hot dogs... How fortunate for you that you haven't had any gold diggers in your past...or girls with good appetites!

>For clarification, I actually do eat a lot, and I feel no need to pretend that I don't...I work out everyday (cardio and free weights) and a salad at dinner just doesn't cut it for me, it's not about disrespect or being impractical, it's actually just about being hungry...but, a salad and a couple of hot dogs, now we're talking.

It's nice for the girl to offer but I would politely refuse.

Mr. B: As always, such a gentleman...The funny thing is that with someone like you, I WOULD INSIST ON PAYING at least a few times...just because you don't expect it, and you'd appreciate it.

Thanks for the replies!!!Keep'em coming...Hot dogs are optional.

Well, I will usually pay for a couple of the drinks, or the tip at least as on a first date, since you don't know where it is going to go, I hate to feel like the guy has to pay for it all!

Do I EXPECT the guy to pay on first date? No not at all, it really depends on their finances as well, but I do appreciate when they are gentlemanly enough to do so, but I hate for them to feel pressured that they have to do it. However as said above I will try and do something to help out a bit!

As for further dates, I will often pay the next time, or we can split it if they want to help out. It really is evaluated on a case by case basis!

I often will do something that is "cheap" anyway, like go rollerblading/biking/hiking or something so sometimes the who pays thing does not even come up.

Date idea for DBL:

>take her to the homeless shelter and say that you really think it's your civic duty to help the homeless...then have dinner there!!!It's totally free and it makes you look like an altruistic human being!!!

>On second thought, just take her to Skid Row find a really full garbage can and tell her to chow down...