Girlfriend said lingere is a gift for me, not her...

paperboy48

I recently asked my girlfriend (of three months) if she would mind if I bought her something from Victoria Secrets for Valentine's Day. We are in our mid-thirties...FYI. She said, "no, but you do realise that is a gift for you".

What is that saying? She know that would not be my only gift to her...

I guess I just wanted her to be excited about me buying her lingere.

How excited do you really expect her to be when you come out and ask if she'd "mind" a particular gift, rather than simply getting it and surprising her with it (along with whatever else you had planned)?

Stop seeking her approval for such things. Be spontaneous and do it.

Remember you really aren't buying it for her, it's at the end of the day, for you. So don't expect her to be over the moon about frilly underwear or a sexy bra - but she also shouldn't be ungrateful.

Honestly I wouldn't like it if mh husband bought me lingerie. I'm very picky with what I like to wear so unless I gave him a few options that I knew I would enjoy, I just wouldn't want him to buy it. And lingerie too many isn't something 'special' - I'm capable of buying underwear and bras myself rather than my husband buying them for me.

What does the cost matter when discussing intentions?

I don't think lingerie is a bad gift or a selfish gift inherently. But he asked her what she thought of it, and she told him. I personally like lingerie because it helps me feel sexier and more confident. But if she feels confident and sexy without it, then it is just to make her man more visually stimulated. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but if he were to get it for her, knowing that she is not that into it, then it would be mainly for him.

I think lingerie is typically a gift for both parties, making it an ideal joint gift to get for anniversaries or a nice thing for either partner to get just randomly throughout the year as a present to yourself and your significant other.

Here's my opinion I think it benefits you short term and her long term. Let's say if things didn't work out between you and her I'm sure she can still wear it for the next partner. In the past my ex's bought me boxers and I personally don't see it benefiting them. I view lingerie like an undergarment similar to boxers. If she doesn't appreciate it let her go commando or find yourself another woman that would.

When you say lingerie do you mean a baby doll or garter with hose and a whip? The later I would agree would probably be more of a gift for both of you, OK you, however, a nice nighty, cami or slip type item would definitely be for her. Does she typically wear lingerie? My ex LOVED lingerie, favorite was La Pearla, although she had some VS items too. I can tell you whenever I picked some up for her it was definitely for her. Sure I enjoyed seeing her wear it but it was definitely a special gift for her that she loved. That's one thing I miss about my ex, she new how to dress for bed.

I think what some guys might be missing here is that lingerie, like any GIFT, can be liked or disliked by the receiver.

Not all women like lingerie. A lot of lingerie can be downright uncomfortable. I get the sense that she would rather wear comfortable underwear than sexy underwear. So in my mind, she was telling him that she would wear it as a sexual tool FOR HIM but she's not going to break that out to wear on her own.

It's not selfish or ungrateful. It is honest. Why should she lie and say she would like it if she won't?

I had an ex-boyfriend get me an awful (uncomfortable) piece years ago because it reflected what he was into. I have never worn it again.

I recently asked my girlfriend (of three months) if she would mind if I bought her something from Victoria Secrets for Valentine's Day. We are in our mid-thirties...FYI. She said, "no, but you do realise that is a gift for you".

What is that saying? She know that would not be my only gift to her...

I guess I just wanted her to be excited about me buying her lingere.

I love getting lingerie but I also get what she is saying. It's a gift for you AS WELL. Lingerie for Valentine's? awesome. Especially if it's accompanied with some extra special attention - I mean romantic

I'm a sucker for that stuff when it's genuine.

I do think tho it is better to go ahead and surprise her with it, and make sure it is something in her taste. Example; if you love leopard print, but she is not into that at all, it would be unromantic to go and get her a leopard print set.

It's the thought that really counts. If you are thinking of her - her tastes, what she likes, what she considers a treat, romantic (or not romantic, if that isn't what she likes, some girls might really love something totally different).

Don't over analyze it.

Lingerie is a man gift. If a man was never going to see it on his SO ever in his life, he would not buy it for her. Now if the woman likes lingerie, that's great! But it seems there are more male lingerie fans than woman lingerie fans. That stuff is not the most comfortable of things to wear. Plus I find it kind of embarrassing parading around in bustiers and such. I had a boyfriend who used to buy this stuff all the time and I wore it for him but there was no pretending it was for me. It was for him and that was ok, so long as he acknowledged that. This sounds like what your girlfriend is thinking, maybe.

Le sigh. I'll give it to you straight: There is NOTHING you can give to your girlfriend as a gift that can't be used against you. And probably will be.

Cheap present? You're a cheapskate. Expensive present? You're wasting your money and making her feel bad. (I've had both complaints from the same girlfriend.) Once I bought a girlfriend a beautiful purse that was exactly what she wanted. While I was waiting for them to wrap it, I bought a pair of gold earrings on impulse as well. Got crap for two months over what an idiot boyfriend I was because I didn't realize that she didn't like gold.

Aww, hell, I could go on for hours, but I won't. Look take it from me: your options are break up with her just before Christmas and find a new girlfriend after Valentine's day, or get used to being told what an insensitive clod you are for your crummy choice in presents. You can't win this one.

More stories here:

Thank you all for the great feedback...so how to fix this:

#1 Buy her lingere for V-Day as well as something else like a dozen roses (just an example)

#2 Buy her lingere a week or so before V-Day, so it is somewhat spontaneous after posing the qst to her

#3 Own up to my mistake, let her know I messed up by asking her and pose the option to her of going shopping for lingere together (a week or so before V-Day)

#4 Skip the lingere for now...buy her something other than lingere for V-Day

We extremely open communication, more than I have ever had with anyone else in this world.

Archived