When a drunk woman says "I love you"

Generation

I've been googling this topic and I've been reading mixed thoughts, from men and from women, so I thought hey why not just make my own thread and hear some more thoughts.

What does it mean when a woman who's had quite a bit to drink says "I love you" to you? Someone you know, not some random stranger. Would she just blurt that out and say it to any guy? Or is she just feeling the effects of the alcohol? Would you say that to guys you weren't interested in or attracted to?

I would smile and make sure she got home alright. If I'm alone with her, I would try not to be. All you need is the accusation of impropriety and you will spend your days doing damage control or paying legal fees.

It means nothing. It means everything if she is coherent and down on one knee. Some perspective.

Women are just people, they say things more freely when drunk.

It means she isnt reminded of the horror of humanity when she looks at you; it generally is said to a sweet guy who does not make her feel uncomfortable, maybe even makes her laugh a little. I would make sure to get her some water, in addition to what MasterPo said above.

Yeah, it should be taken in perspective I think. I had a drunk ex (who dumped me) come up to me on a night out recently and start talking to me and after about five minutes her eyes got really sad, welled up with tears and out of nowhere she said "Oh god I still love you so much" and then ran away to her friends and I didn't see her for the rest of the night. The next day she called me and apologised and said it wouldn't happen again and that she didn't mean what she said. So yeah, I really wouldn't read too much into anything a drunk person says

I think context matters.

Personally, I'm a happy drunk. I'm like this - I'll tell everyone that I love them. I'll tell my guy friends, my girlfriends, the bartender if he gives me an extra drink, someone who's a great dancer, etc. What can I say? Some people are fighters and will get squirrely and punch you, some people are lovers and will tell you how much they love you and give you a hug.

Now, if you guys were making out or you suspect she's always had a crush on you, maybe it was a little bit of liquid courage with some over-statement mixed in...

Only you can really tell if it was an overstatement or an "I love you, man!"... context and your relationship means everything.

i think it depends on the person. a lot of people, however, use the excuse of being drunk because they are embarrassed so they try and say that they "didn't mean it". i personally am completely honest and never take anything back if i say something when i have been drinking.

I would take it with a grain of salt.

When I first started to date my boyfriend, I took a while to say "I love you", as did he. I ended up drinking far too much one night. I blacked out (I don't remember about half that night) but apparently, he was helping me to bed and I grabbed him and told him that I loved him. Don't remember it at all! He later told me way later when I actually told him that I loved him because he said he was afraid that if he told me when I sobered up, that would I would be embarrassed and wouldn't want to drink with him again.

• 8 years later...

So me and the girl im talking too have been getting really close. we hang out every day and shy stays atcmy place all the time. well whenver i gwt upset with her i get really drunk to forgwt about it. she told me that if kept doing it that she would get wasted. well so i did again tonight and well this time she returned the favor. she was yelling at me acting sweet it was just all her emotions at once. then on the walk back to ny room she told me that she loved me. plain as day. I Love you. i told her dont say that when your drunk and them we went on with the night. no shes passed out in my bed. i dont know of she met that and i dont know if i responded wrong 

Archived