Boyfriend is very uneducated

klvd

My first thought upon reading your opening post was that this was less about his intelligence and more about your resentment toward him. I don't know what he did that broke your trust in him, but it has obviously had a major impact on you. You had no problem being with this "idiot" from the first day you were together until just after he let you down. I doubt that's a coincidence. My guess is that after he hurt you, you pulled away. Part of pulling away is putting up a barrier. When you resent someone and look at them from a distance, it's pretty easy to disdain them for something you once happily accepted.

Having said all that, if you feel he's not a good match for you, and you've really thought this through without resentment, then I think you know what you need to do. I would, however, use words like "compatibility", not words like "idiot", when breaking up with him.

If you cannot connect with him enough on an intelligent level, break up with him. However, if this is something you find unattractive in him, remember what inittially attracted you to him in the first place. Sometimes, flaws can be overlooked if we remember everything else that is great about a person.

I had lunch this week with a man who drooped out of school at the age of sixteen and got a job sweeping the floors in a printing shop, he got a couple of other part time jobs as well.Within four years later he bought the company. Now he owns that, much larger and more successful, and he owns and runs a couple more businesses, plus he has part-ownership of three or four others, including a bar and grill.

Your boyfriend may not be like him but education isn't everything.

It's not just about education. The OP said that she doesn't have good conversations with him, and when you can't talk to your partner, then a relationship is pretty much doomed, IMO.

It's not just about education. The OP said that she doesn't have good conversations with him, and when you can't talk to your partner, then a relationship is pretty much doomed, IMO.
Well, in that case, I can't help but wonder what she saw in him in the first place. Which means that I suggest having more in-depth conversations with people to gauge their intellectual compatibility before getting into a relationship.

I once dated a man that accused me of making words up! (two that I recall are "angst" and "condensation") In that case, it was the straw that broke the camel's back. There had been other areas where we weren't compatible, but after another conversation ended because he asked "Where do you get these words?" I knew it was over.

It seems like there is more than one issue here. It sounds like things were going fine (perhaps you were a bit too intertwined with him) until he lied to you and lost your trust. My guess is that you were able to overlook the intellectual incompatibility because you liked everything else about him, but when he lied to you it brought other faults to the forefront of your mind and now it's hard to go back to the way that you originally felt about him. Perhaps you have always been incompatible but you didn't realize it until now. If it were me, intellectual incompatibility would probably be a dealbreaker. Another thing that really gets on my nerves is a lack of common sense, so that wouldn't work for me either. But at the end of the day, it's up to you. No one can tell you whether you should break up with him. That's an emotional decision you need to come to on your own.

Archived