Dissapointed With Your Marriage Proposal????

Like Rosie Odonell said in "Sleepless In Seattle":

"That's your problem! You don't want to be in love, you want to be in love in a movie!"

Too many people think that love should be like a fiarytale, with roses every day and sunchine and flowers. Of course we all understand that it's not really like that, but some people still harbor this expectation of spectacular fireworks every time they're kissed and the like. *shrug* People just need to understand that an engagement is just like everything else. It's a reflection of life. Reality. It's not a fairytale to anyone but you. and it's only a fairytale to YOU if you allow it to be!

I have been proposed to a few times. The first was my 1sy husband. He hid it in luggage and told me to check how many pockets there were. After I found the ring he just sat there. So I said what dose this mean? His reply...we're getting married.

My now husband sat on the sofa and asked me if I wanted my b-day present early. Well of course I want a present! DUH! so as I was watching Wheel of Fortune, he gave me the ring. oh my , how romantic!

YEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAA BABY!

I would say BOTH of those were romantic! I think the main thing guys struggle with is the tag line. I think they expect a reaction from us, but we try to play it down so we don't seem desperate or overly excited.

For example, the question, "what does this mean". If I were a guy who had just done something cute and romantic like hiding the ring and sending my girl on a little treasure hunt, and she STILL has to ask me this question, I think the actual words of the proposal are probably gonna come out wrong, since I'm PROBABLY not expecting that as a reaction!

• 2 years later...

It is possible to mess up a good thing? Most men dream of having a fiancee like me. Low-maintenance, casual, don't-buy-me-a-ring-kind-of-girl. I'm all about sentiment and being thoughful. Not expensive dinners or spelling it out with a sky-writer.

My boyfriend and I dated for about a year when marriage came up. We were very casual about it, and came to a mutual consensus that we wanted to get married. There wasn't a proposal (nor a ring, because we're young and poor), but we were very happy. I called my family and told them about our decision, and they were thrilled.

I should also mention that we overcame a lot of intense hardships our first year together. As a result, I made major sacrifices, which included moving to another city permanently, away from my family, us moving in together and helping him raise a daughter from a previous relationship, and coping with a lower standard of living.

But again, I was happy. I felt like everything was fine.

A couple of months after, I heard my boyfriend on the phone with his brother. He told a slightly exaggerated tale about getting down on his knee and asking me to marry him. For some reason, this upset me. I don't know why he would lie about this.

I teased him a little about it, and then, about ten minutes later, we were lying in bed and he said, "Honey? Are you asleep?" I indicated that I was still conscious. "Do you want to marry me?" I punched him playfully and said, "If you're going to propose to me, you can't ask me like that! Geez." I went back to sleep.

The next day, after work, he told me he wanted to take me out to our favorite coffee shop (which is where we had many of our first dates). I suggested we lay down together on the couch and talk about our day, first.

Once he sat down, he fell asleep. When I tried to talk to him, it was clear that he was exhausted and distracted. I suggested he take a nap or go to bed, but he kept saying that he wanted to get coffee, so I agreed.

We went to the coffee shop, and then he drove me to an old military monument in a working class neighborhood in our city, which also functions as a "make-out spot" for teenagers. Yes, it vaguely resembles a castle. But he should have had more common sense.

We went to the top of the steps, and the first thing that I saw was two drunk girls cracking open their Bud Lites while sitting next to a styrofoam cooler. They were also being really loud, which didn't help the mood.

He tried to take me around to the other side of the monument, and there were four other couples squeezed onto the tiny balcony. Not exactly private. Directly beneath us were two teenagers rolling around on the grass making out and groping each other. And then, two boys walk by talking about how they're looking forward to "jumping" a kid who's, "been giving me lately."

I felt my stomach sink, because I had this terrible feeling that he was going to propose. He said, "I hope you don't mind me not getting down on my knees, because I'm tired and they hurt today. Will you marry me?"

I choked back a "sure," and a tried to smile and be good humored.

And that was it.

I couldn't believe that he took me to this completely trashy make-out spot. He ignored the fact that there were all these people around ruining the mood, and it felt like he just threw the proposal together at the end of a long day at work.

The worst part, however, wasn't that he was clueless or unromantic. But that he didn't even say anything nice to me. He didn't even say "I love you." He could have thanked me for the sacrifices I made. He could have told me how happy he was that his daughter and I got along. He could have said I was "cute" or "made him happy." But not one word.

After, we left the spot and I cried uncontrollably in the car.

It would have been better if he had done nothing at all.

My now-ex husband proposed to me on a couch. Just asked if I would marry him. No knee, no ring, no memorable moment.

I didn't care too much back then; I loved him and marriage was enough, given that he was romantic at other times.

But when we were married, that romance went out the window. It was like that proposal was the beginning of the end of the good times. Those who've seen my posts know how far down it went afterwards.

I have been proposed to a few times. The first was my 1sy husband. He hid it in luggage and told me to check how many pockets there were. After I found the ring he just sat there. So I said what dose this mean? His reply...we're getting married.

My now husband sat on the sofa and asked me if I wanted my b-day present early. Well of course I want a present! DUH! so as I was watching Wheel of Fortune, he gave me the ring. oh my , how romantic!

YEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAA BABY!

LOL to the first.. he said we're getting married!! hahaha