Toothache is killing me!

TheVP

Ugh, anyone have any experience with reducing tooth ache pain? I have a bad one that wakes me up with throbbing pain. Sometimes it seems to give me an ear ache. I'm traveling out of town on an important trip on Monday, so I won't be able to see a dentist until Wednesday!

Anyone have know any effective pain remedies?

I had this a few weeks ago and tried multiple different things to help. What I noticed that worked the best was two things:

1.Get some Sensodyne toothpaste to use, also initially cake it on the toothe for a few minutes then rinse. But use that for brushing

2. Vanilla Extract, I know sounds very odd...but it decreased the pain 100% for me. Just put some on a cotton ball/Q-tip and apply to the tooth for a few minutes then rinse. (Warning, does not taste that great but worth it)

Good Luck!

VP, I would make every effort to see a dentist immediately. There is no way I would try to wait until Wednesday to see a dentist. This is an emergency, and dentists will see you on an emergency basis...Get help. chi

Agreed. The nerves from the roots can be very deep, and can affect all areas of the head and neck. I don't see a productive business trip if you're waking up with this kind of pain. Treat it as a true dental emergency...

Agreed. The nerves from the roots can be very deep, and can affect all areas of the head and neck. I don't see a productive business trip if you're waking up with this kind of pain. Treat it as a true dental emergency...

Agreed. Also, if the tooth is infected you are now inviting infection which can lead to numerous health risks if it goes untreated including sepsis. Trust me, I went thru it. I waited and waited until the pain actually went away so I thought I was fine. No visible cavities etc. My symptoms were very similar to mono and I went to a local doc who put me on antibiotics. The symptoms subsided but only came back a few months later. This was a cycle that went on for years. I actually began to lose feeling in my left arm and left leg. I had no idea what was going on and neither did the docs. My tooth actually came out while having dinner to reveal the infection which couldn't otherwise be seen to the naked eye or x-rays because it was inside the tooth. I had the rest of the tooth pulled and I haven't had those symptoms since. Treat it before it gets worse. Dentists do take emergencies.

Absolutely go to the dentist. I just went to one last week for a toothache and thank goodness that it was a cavity that required a simple filling. The dentist had told me that if I had waited any longer, he would of have to perform a root canal, plus I would have permanent nerve damage since the cavity was irritating it. A toothache is very serious.

Another vote for an emergency dentist. Abscessed teeth can be serious health risks and if that infection gets worse while you are traveling you'll be stuck there while they treat it.

Go see a dentist today.

I agree. You can DIE from abscessed teeth. My great grandmother died that way. I had an abscessed tooth that I did not feel and it has infected my jaw bone. I have had 2 surgeries in 3 months one to scrap away infected tissue and bone and one to remove the tooth, I could have lost my life. Healthy teeth are very important to overall good health!

First, I would go to the dentist as soon as you can. But I am pretty sure you are not going to die from your toothache. I cannot ever remember reading about someone dying because of a toothache. I am not saying it never happens. But it's an unlikely way to die.

Second, if your dentist says "root canal," get a second opinion before you okay the procedure. Root canals are ways for dentists to turn your $125 cavity into a thousand dollar procedure. Root canals are frequently performed unnecessarily. Sometimes teeth hurt because of an infection and not every infection needs a root canal. If your dentist tells you that you need a root canal based on your reporting of your symptoms or from your x-ray, be skeptical and get a second opinion.

Archived