Worried about HIV test results..cant calm down

gialetia

Hi everyone,

Everything was going fine until i went to the clinic for a routine checkup and it showed that i had chlamydia. The doc suggested i get the hiv test and after one week of gathering my courage. I did it today.. I cant stop crying ever since. and I think I worried myself sick. I had an anxiety attack at work and had to leave. I cant sleep at all.

here is my situation. i have been with five guys and used protection with four of them. The last guy I dated i lost my head and had unprotected sex about three times with him. Am just nervous and I feel like have thrown my life away. am about to graduate from college and now all this is happening..I just dont know how to relax.am even crying right now

(BIG HUGS!) I am so sorry. I am glad you got the test but I know that the next few days will be the longest of your life. As a microbiologist, I can tell you that your risk is low, though not zero. If you've had sex with men who are not IV-drug users or gay, your chances are pretty slim. Also, if you don't live in an area with high HIV rates, that works in your favor as well. The chance is slim, so I would bet that you'll hear you are "negative" in just a few days. hang in there!

Hey, dont worry about this. I test HIV in high-risk populations and although HIV is a serious disease, I am often surprised by how risky people are who dont contract it. And Id say your chances are SLIM compared to them. I understand this anxiety though. I have been there before, but after educating myself on this, I realized that it is pretty difficult to pick this disease up. Always be as careful as you can and try not to sleep with dudes who might have the clap, but dont worry about this. I could calculate your actual risk and it would be miniscule. The chances of him having HIV to begin with are small, the chances of him passing it onto you are even smaller. I think your anxiety is telling you to select better partners, there are tons of guys out there that would like to get to know and dont have chlamydia! Go find them, you will enjoy better and more fulfilling emotional relationships Im sure, thats what you want, right?

Try not to beat yourself up too much. It seems as though most people go through one of these scares in one form or another. As annie said, the statistical likelihood that you contracted HIV is rather slim. Your doctor likely recommended the test to ensure he covered all the bases. If nothing else, this should serve as a good wakeup call and will hopefully inspire you to be careful moving forward.

I'd call and ask them tomorrow. I don't think more than a week, but I imagine a few days. I bet hanuman would know better than me.

The "good news" is that you found out you have chlamydia. In 75% of women, it is asymptomatic, and they don't find out they have it until after they find out they are infertile. Since you caught it early, you can be treated and be healthy. That is great.

There is no way you can "tell" if a person will give you a STD. Carriers come in all shapes, sizes, colors, ages, etc...The is no way to tell. If you say to yourself, "This guy is white, upper/middle class/successful/from good family, I don't need protection with him." THAT is when you will catch something. ANYONE can carry a disease, ANYONE! Always use protection. I truly believe that you will be fine, but always, always, always, use protection, no matter who you sleep with.

(BIG HUGS!) I am so sorry. I am glad you got the test but I know that the next few days will be the longest of your life. As a microbiologist, I can tell you that your risk is low, though not zero. If you've had sex with men who are not IV-drug users or gay, your chances are pretty slim. Also, if you don't live in an area with high HIV rates, that works in your favor as well. The chance is slim, so I would bet that you'll hear you are "negative" in just a few days. hang in there!

You made me feel better..just cant wait to find out..

I've been in your situation and I really empathise. I was so scared I didn't even go for the results, they had to call me a month later! You'll be fine, it is really unlikely to have anything. I had chlamydia 10 years ago and last year got the HPV and I thought oh 'my god, I am diseased I have HIV now', I just couldn't think sensibly. Then I spoke to friends and half of them had the HPV and 6 months later had a smear test and was fine. This is just your brain blowing everything out of proportion, you'll be ok.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived