Open Club  ·  32 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Question regarding moving to the United Kingdom

ApocalypseDreams

Hey everyone,

An opportunity has arisen for me to move to the UK (Scotland) as I've been accepted for a job. Unfortunately I've been given fairly late notice.

I was wondering how hard it is to get a National Insurance number and a British bank account. Has anyone here done this before and if it is relatively easy to do and quickly to get?

By the way, I am an Australian who also has a British passport.

Thanks.

Is there a British Embassy near you? Maybe you can call one? I imagine if you already hold a British passport it might be easier for you. Were your parents British? My husband's parents are English and he has the opportunity to obtain a British passport. I imagine it will be easier and faster for you to emigrate.

link removed

Bank account should be fairly easy once you have an address, make sure you keep all details of your Australian bank accounts.

Also take your Australian records with you including such things as car insurance certificate - that may help you get a lower car insurance rate.

Hi. I worked for the Department for Work and Pensions a couple of years back, so I know a little bit about it. In terms of applying for an NI number, you can only do that once you are inside the country, since you have to attend at interview.

As for the bank account, it might be tough to get a current account in the traditional sense as you will have no credit rating in the UK and are not resident in this country at the moment. You might have to plump for a basic bank account, with no credit facilities, until you get settled.

Archived