Time to Get Up off Your Toosh! What are You Doing to Look and Feel Fantastic??

Hi again RKW,

I've had three horses altogether now, but didn't get my first until later in life. I certainly didn't grow up with horses, but all my life was fascinated with them. When I was a kid, I used to have this Annie Oakley suit and daydreamed about becoming a jillaroo (cow girl). When I finally got my shetland who I just adore, I realised that I should have had her first. She would have been perfect to learn and practice handling with. I've learnt so much from her. You know, if you really want a horse or pony, there are just so many out there that people discard. You are much, much better off if you know people with a lot of contacts in the horsey world. I was given both of my ponies for free. The first one, the Welshie had been traumatised, but now she's great. The little shettie was a champion broodmare who had spent most of her life pregnant or nursing. She had 7 foals, and the last one was deformed so they didn't want her for breeding anymore. The old owners are amazed because they said that it was difficult for people to get near her because she would always go to the back of the other horses (was at a very large stud). She has changed so much since I've had her. She's my baby and princess and she knows it. I have to leave the door closed when she is in the yard or she will come inside the house. In fact, that goes for both the ponies.

If you click on my signature link, you will see me with Mac. He is amazing. He was an abandoned and neglected stockhorse who had been highly educated, but now no longer suitable as a work horse. He's still a great riding horse for a gentle rider. Had a ride myself on him. Also, a couple of years ago, I fell in love with this horse named Gypsy who was a retired police horse. She would have been perfect for me, but the owner wouldn't part with her. She nearly ended up as pet food except this young boy bought her. She also couldn't be a work horse, but just right for somebody like me. I like a quiet walk bareback the most. Love the feeling of warmth and connection to the horse. Don't even like trotting or cantering. Anyways, take a look at Mac and tell me what you think.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi again RKW,

Anyways, take a look at Mac and tell me what you think.

He is gorgeous! I love how his tongue is poking out too, that's very sweet. You can tell he loves you just as much back! Your other horses sound so special too.

I really admire you for taking in those "imperfect" horses. I read an article once about what happens to all of the horses that retire or fail to do what their owners wanted. It really struck a chord and I vowed that if I ever had the opportunity to have a horse, it would be a rescue. I probably wont look at owning any horses or ponies for at least another decade, because I don't have the time or finances to properly care for them. But my retirement dream, would be to have my own property, a couple of horses and some other rescue animals. I do want to learn to ride though, just to make those connections with the horse world and learn about them, and see if it's really for me. As a kid, I'd skip everywhere pretending I was riding a horse called "Golden Eye" (have nooo idea where my 4 year old self pulled that name from!). I just love all animals in general, so horse-riding has always been really appealing. I think it might have to wait until next year, but I can't wait to realise my dream.

Hey rkw, sounds like we were alike as kids too. I was always pretending to ride horses. I remember too pretending to be Mary Poppins. I would get an umbrella and hold it high above my head, then jump down from the top of the stairs. LOL! Well, if I can ever afford it, my retirement ambition is pretty much like yours.

Well, how I actually met Mac was through an Australian organisation which rescues horses. The members "sponsor" horses, each person putting in a couple of dollars a month to provide feed, farrier, vet, dentist, and members keep the horses on their properties (not everyone has properties or even horses). Then when the time is right, the organisation finds a suitable home. Mac's owner is one of the organisation's members. I was one of Mac's sponsors when he was first rescued. There was another horse I sponsored too, but unfortunately she died of natural causes. Happily though she was placed in a wonderful home and was living the ideal life when she died from heart failure. Still, it was worth it. If you are interested, IM me and I will pass on the details. There are a couple of organisations which do that, but I find this one the most affordable. There's another one which rescues brumbies (or if you are American - mustangs). Vigo Mortensen has been quite active in working to protect mustangs in the USA. He's bootiful.

Oh and regarding Mac's tongue poking out, (and you can see his eyes were closed too), he was very relaxed and in a state of bliss as I had been tickling him on the nose and mouth which is his favourite spot to be touched. He's a real character.

Well, I'm going to have to ease up a bit on the finances. Went to the hairdresser today and got blonde highlights put through my hair, and the style changed so that I have thicker and longer bangs which makes me look a bit younger. I think I'm a little addicted to buying clothes and things. Not that I really spend a lot by a lot of women's standards, but I want to be putting more money away for my holiday. Found some more nice bling jewellry which I bought and a lovely woolen top. The weather has begun getting much colder here and I was in need of some warmer clothes. I also saw these cosmetics I loved, but managed to resist the temptation to buy. The brand is called Napolean (Perdis) and it's all shimmery and lots of gold so does light up the face nicely. I'll just have to wait and save more.

Yesterday, I joined a hiking group, but I likely won't get a chance to go on an outing with them for a couple of weeks. Their next walk is 12kms through a forest on Saturday, but I should be having a visitor staying so unless they cancel, I'll wait until my next weekend off.

Going to my dance class in the morning, then coffee with the friend, then my women's group in the evening. We're getting together Friday night to do some art and have a chin wag so I really should have plenty to keep me occupied. Okay, how bout you all?

Hey rkw, sounds like we were alike as kids too. I was always pretending to ride horses. I remember too pretending to be Mary Poppins. I would get an umbrella and hold it high above my head, then jump down from the top of the stairs. LOL! Well, if I can ever afford it, my retirement ambition is pretty much like yours.

Yes, this was me, except I jumped off the retaining wall with my umbrella!

I got my braces on today, and tonight a friend's popping around for a chat and a look at the new puppy. Otherwise this weeks a bit quiet, a lot of my friend's are uni students and it's exam time which means they're in hibernation. You sound like you'll be having a fun day today though!

Two weeks ago a prosecuting attorney (I was a reluctant witness against a former lover) blurted out in court (after she asked how old I was) "No way! You look really, really good. Great, actually." I nodded with one of those "I know" looks and an excited little grin. The entire room burst into laughter - it's part of the public record now.

If you're over 40, here are the things I'm doing that work for me:

Eat blueberries almost every day.

Resveritol (improves skin tone & texture, but seems to have the most impact on my hands and body rather than face).

Glycolic acid in a professional strength (Amazon purchase) - used weekly.

Oil of Olay Regenerist night cream (love this stuff).

Coffeeberry based eye cream.

Low dose aspirin daily.

Home hair laser unit.

Autumborn, please tell me more!!! Resveritol and Glycoolic acid ?? I have nearly bought the Regenerist night cream so many times. And the Coffeeberry based eye cream, is the Loreal one okay| Can't take Aspirin internally as I'm allergic to it, but have used the Aspirin face mask to take away redness after deep cleansing. Quite amazing. There's a young American Asian girl, forget her name, but she started off on Youtube putting up her own beauty videos, then got bought out by one of the big companies, she had the video of the Aspirin face mask and she also made her own blackhead removing strips. Should go and see what she's up to.

Two weeks ago a prosecuting attorney (I was a reluctant witness against a former lover) blurted out in court (after she asked how old I was) "No way! You look really, really good. Great, actually." I nodded with one of those "I know" looks and an excited little grin. The entire room burst into laughter - it's part of the public record now.

If you're over 40, here are the things I'm doing that work for me:

Eat blueberries almost every day.

Resveritol (improves skin tone & texture, but seems to have the most impact on my hands and body rather than face).

Glycolic acid in a professional strength (Amazon purchase) - used weekly.

Oil of Olay Regenerist night cream (love this stuff).

Coffeeberry based eye cream.

Low dose aspirin daily.

Home hair laser unit.

Hi Autumn, I just started using the Regenerist Cream. Re the aspirin, I saw a video on Youtube - Michelle Phan - Asprin (Salicylic Acid) facials. She also talks about Aspirin which has caffeine in it. Is this what you mean? Any other tips?

That's great Lea! This is going to sound so silly to a lot of people, but since the breakup, I can't bring myself to listen to music, not even in the car. A man at work has given me a CD of Dixie Chicks, but I can't listen to it just yet. Also, I used to be a chocoholic and my ex bought me lots of chocolates. I can't eat chocolate now. I feel like I don't ever want to eat it again. I spent so many evenings with him over the last 4 years watching movies, and sharing chocolates he bought me. Ooops, sorry I spoilt the tone of the thread here. Well, anyway, I'm mostly eating much healthier things and when I weighed myself today, it looks as though I've lost around 9kgs since the b/u so I'm around the weight I was when I met him and he thought I was really hot then - so he said anyway.

Autumnborn, hope you are still around. I started using the Regenerist cream and love it. Also today I bought Resveritol tablets. Since I forced myself to cry less, I'm looking loads better.

I need to get some joy in my life by doing something really fun and I'm thinking out a few things.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I haven't posted here for a while, but thought I would bring the thread back again to say that I have continued to do most of these things and feeling purrrrty good! I took Autumn Rose's advice - she's quite the beauty expert. Some of you will know that I recently took on a rescue pony with extremely neglected hooves. He's just adorable! I only picked him up 2 days ago, but I've been so busy with him and gotten to spend a lot of time outdoors. I'm feeling so much improved physically and mentally as well. Not sure if when I was writing on this thread previously (I don't think so), that my workplace has undergone a massive organisational restructure. Because of this, my position (and many others) were made redundant, however, I have moved into a much less stressful position in the same organisation and also chosen to reduce my hours. This has made a huge difference to me. There's not a big difference financially because I've been able to pick up penalty rates.

Okay, so what have you been doing to look and feel fantastic?

Oh, I recently went to a fashion stylist workshop and am going back for a one on one session some time. Like RKW, I have spent a bit too much in recent times on clothing etc and it has to stop for a while now. I do have lots in my wardrobe to be bringing out and matching up with some current accessories though. My skin and hair are looking good and I'm going to keep trying not to put the weight back on.

Well, better get on with my day now. There's a lot to do.

Well, after my break-up, I decided to do a lot of physical changes (along with many emotional ones) and it turned out quite well.

I had some pretty bad acne so I went to my local derm and went on Accutane (an orally-taken drug that relieves acne within 5-6 months) and it has literally worked wonders. My face hasn't been this clear in almost 3 years so I'm extremely thankful for doing that.

I started going to the gym four times a week starting 4 months ago. It was a huge success and my body has been the healthiest and best-looking it's ever been in my life.

I went out, treated myself to many designer clothes, and now have a good outlet on my appearance and dressing style. That happened about 5 or 6 months ago and I'm still dressing better and feeling great about myself each and every day.

Also, I got my teeth whitened about 3 weeks ago. Just something to rub that big 'ole ego I've been seeing so much of

Self-improvement is really a life enhancer if you ask me.

I am doing a new cutting phase in my workout, which is making me look like an action superhero. I am reading books on attracting women (oddly enough I did all of this already) but its filling me with confidence and making me eager to find what i want. I am seeing what i dont like in my ex, and i want to find someone who doesnt have that, but i want them to have the good qualities she has. I am eager to get out there and look.

Archived