Does anyone else really, really dislike New Years Eve?

tulipsfav

I love NYE because it's a symbolic closing to one chapter of a period of time and a symbolic beginning of another. In reality, of course you could argue that it's just another day and not give it that kind of weight/pressure/etc.

I enjoy thinking back on the past year and thinking about what kinds of things I want to pursue, focus on and improve for the upcoming year. It feels good to me.

Yeah, I do.

It doesn't matter how great a year I've had, or how good I am feeling. I simply dislike the New Year's eve celebrations.

Most depressing celebration of the year, IMO. The ball drop. The song. The huddled outside in freezing temperatures all dressed up. The 'ringing in a new year'. Ugh.

lol. I love pretty near all the other holidays, and a good celebration, it's simply the particular tone of this one. And to top it all off, it's a desperate cattle call for some of the people all over the cities to 'grab someone and not feel lonely'.

My least favorite part....the countdown. !

Haha yeah it's probably my least favourite holiday. I don't really like holidays in general, but this one really gets on my nerves. As itsallgrand so beautifully describes it, "it's a desperate cattle call for some of the people all over the cities to 'grab someone and not feel lonely'". Haha, so true!

And the whole big deal is so insincere anyway. Nobody does anything different. Same year, same routine. Resolutions go out the window by the 2nd. It's just a great way for people to make money off alcohol sales (I think New Year is about the only time of the year I don't go out the pub).

I'm spending the night by myself trying to do some work (and procrastinating on ENA), drinking cups of tea, and listening to some new CDs. I probably won't even notice when it turns midnight unless the fireworks outside drown out the heavy metal in my headphones!

I do love all other holidays, christmas i love! My ex took me out on the eve of new years eve because it was cheaper, hmm yeah that made me feel great! I would just love to go to bed and waken at 12.30 lol. I am going to see in the new year with my family who i am so thankful for. I am so lucky to have my family. The initial countdown is awful.

I agree with everyone hear. I'm just thankful for my family. 2010 was rough I lost my job my ma lost her job and my sis lost her job. I also lost my gf she cheated on me while I was in hospital. Luckily we all got out jobs back and I have gone nc with the ex and tols her there is no pointin us being friends. Can't have someone in my life who is that sellfish. We will get through this 2011 will be a better year.

I thought I would be okay with it, didn't go anywhere, ex spoke to me earlier online, wasn't expecting that really..after the other night I thought he wouldn't speak to me for a very long time, anyway...it made me feel a bit sad, new year that is...ex speaking to me earlier probably didn't help but I think I will be back to normal tomorrow, or as normal as I was yesterday anyway...will go to bed once I've found my balance again.

I like new year's eve... but I feel horribly sad this year. And I am alone, ditched or flaked out on by all my friends here in New York, and my work wouldn't let me stay home in California long enough to be with my family where I really want to be.

My family has always held a traditional party so I'd be there. We did a bonfire and threw things in it....symbolic saying goodbye to old, welcoming new. But in 2000/2001 new year's... my older brother was killed in a car accident on the way to the party. Ten years ago tonight. And earlier this year I lost my dad. And tonight I'm alone. Yeah... I hate tonight. But I'm ready for a better new year, a better decade...

So how was everyone's night?

This thread inspired me to ditch the stuff that I loathe, and just go for what I wanted to do anyways. It turned out to be a good night. ! Amazing. We didn't listen to the ball drop, the count down, and we didn't go out. A nice little get together with some drinks and good company. New tradition for sure now!

hope everyone is doing ok today.

So how was everyone's night?

This thread inspired me to ditch the stuff that I loathe, and just go for what I wanted to do anyways. It turned out to be a good night. ! Amazing. We didn't listen to the ball drop, the count down, and we didn't go out. A nice little get together with some drinks and good company. New tradition for sure now!

hope everyone is doing ok today.

I did just what I planned to -- working out, applied for a couple more jobs, listened to music. And just for the hell of it had a few games of that Resort game on the Wii with my parents! I missed the countdown thing, I think I was making a cup of tea Oh yeah, New Years parties are crazy in my house!

Archived