Adult ADD and the Work Place

Shnoodle

Lately I have been having a struggle with my recent job and I'm unsure what to do with the situation. I have been working a customer service job recently which I enjoy in most ways, but the work environment has been making me uncomfortable. I wish I could do something about it because I job-hunted for months before finally finding this one.

I was diagnosed with severe ADD as a kid (before it was super-common), but also.. this may sound cheesy AND self-absorbed, the same psychiatrist also said I'm qualified as some kind of genius.

I told you it sounded cheesy.

I'm not super smart mind you, I just am extremely creative and I've always had a knack for solving puzzles. As an adult that just translates in to that I'm an eccentric artist who excels at video games and several crafting hobbies, not all that special.

The ADD part though is taking a toll at my new job, as I am extremely forgetful and often absent minded. I don't think it has hurt my work-performance, but the other coworkers have taken notice and they treat me like a giant moron because of it. It's insulting AND unavoidable, as I have to interact with them almost as much as the customers to make sure that the customers' needs are met. None of my coworkers say anything directly, but it's loosely implied often. I also hear how they gossip about other coworkers when they aren't around. "Idiot" is a word they like to throw around quite often. They are a clique pretty much made up of 60% the staff, all male, 3 of which are my superiors. I can guarantee you they say the same about me and that I'm not just being paranoid.

In most cases, I don't give a rat's arse what people think about me. At work I feel alienated that I have to interact, and often rely on people who have 0 respect for me. People who will undermine me by giving me false information to make me look bad, or ignore my requests all together. In social relationships I should have no tolerance for this behavior, but at work I have to put on my sh*t-eating grin and deal with it.

As long as I'm not being actually harassed at work, I feel like there is nothing I can do. I can't really go to a manager about my coworkers' opinions. Even if my coworkers knew I had ADD, all I would get is mock-sympathy, and surely I'm not pompous and silly enough to go around telling people "Hay guys! You think I'm dumb but I'm really a genius!". I'm sure there is little I can do other than look for a new line of work where I'm less dependent on team work. Surely I'd love to be able to work in the creative field full-time, but so far my only luck has been a few small odd sporadic side jobs. Perhaps I'm just venting, sorry for the long rant.

Has anyone else struggled with adult ADD and/or belittling coworkers?

Hello,

This isn't as in-depth of a response as I would like to give, but here are my thoughts.

ADD can have a very positive side - spontaneity, creativity, openess to new experience, just to name a few. It doesn't surprise me one bit that someone who is ADD can also be extremely intelligent.

The key is matching your ADD symptoms to a worthwhile career and lifestyle. It sounds like your ADD is mostly a problem at your newer job. If it hasn't been a huge issue since childhood, it probably means that your new job isn't a good fit for your personality.

If you are doing your job adequately, which it sounds like, don't worry about it Are you taking medication for it? If you are, sometimes ADD meds can precipitate some of the anger you're having about your co-workers. If you aren't medicated, maybe being medicated would help you deal with the absent mindedness. My point is that there are pros and cons to having ADD (in my opinion). There's also pros and cons to being medicated for it. You have to find the perfect balance that matches what you want out of this job.

• 3 months later...

I also have ADD and was only diagnosed about a year ago. Dealing with undiagnosed ADD my whole life was very difficult and confusing but since treatment and learning more about it I honestly feel enlightened and like a totally new person.I always struggled in school and with keeping a job and thats because I was never being challenged nor did I feel like I was progressing. Finding a career that will challenge you and have some for of daily weekly ...goals to provide a sense of progression is important. I dont think that customer service is a very good fit for you or me. While the problem solving aspect is good the lack of progression is not. You need a career the will allow you to really utilize your creative mind and challenge you. For me engineering is the perfect fit. Since I started school I have gotten a 4.0gpa for the first time ever and I love going to school. It is also very challengin with all the upper level calulus and physics requirements but it keeps me going.

One thing I believe every adult with ADD should do is read this book my DR had me read. When I read it I couldnt believe whats I was reading, this book was describing me to the T. I swear its like my Bible. I just cant remember what its called or where I put it though...J/K

its called "Delivered From Destraction". Its very very helpful to say the least. Also i dont know if you are taking medication or if it even works for you but I know that for me I am a completely different person without it. Without it I am not productive at all and spend to much time changing my mind or procrastinating rather then making progress. Where as when I am taking it I have to start something and finish it and almost never even allow myself to procrastinate. I hope this helps a little even if it is long after your original post.

One more thing, you are a genius. Dont doubt your self. It is true the people with ADD have more use more of their brains and typically have higher IQ's.

First off, being very bright isn't cheesy. You should never be ashamed to mention you're exceptionally intelligent.

Secondly, are you taking meds? I've taken ritalin for years for my ADD. Without it, I'm tremendously scattered, and will truly melt down over having to read a long email, or undertake a simple painting project. I wouldn't go back to life without it, as it was a real struggle.

How are you able to perform such a detail oriented job given your disability? It doesn't sound like a good fit for a very bright but easily distracted person -I would think that it would be not challenging intellectually and frustrating because of the job requirements.

I know where you're coming from... comPLETELY!!!! I just started a new job after being out of the workforce for almost 11 years and am struggling because my job is VERY "detail oriented" (I work in a pharmacy so a mistake could LITERALLY kill someone and my ADHD is a BIG hindrance! I have taken to carrying a notebook in my pocket that I take notes on all day long. Without it, I'd be failing miserably....with it, I am doing fairly well and have even been commended by my manager on my progress I have a double whammy because I can't take "traditional" meds because I am also bipolar and the stimulants exacerbate that.

I'm completely unmedicated, unfortunately. =/

My paycheck is laughable, so I won't be getting health insurance any time soon.

Work has become a little better since back when I made this thread. I think it bothered me so much before because I spent a long time looking for work, and I was trying too hard to be a good people person. (If you've read my posts, that's not my character) Luckily, once I started hating working there, I also started acting more indifferent, and in turn have seen much less direct disrespect. I'm still scatter-brained as all get out, but.. oh well. I've noticed over time my coworkers really have little respect for anyone, so I don't feel as singled out.To add to my alleviation, it was brought to my attention that my most condescending coworker has a crush on me. It makes it awkward.. but kind of amusing.

I'm currently looking for work that is better tailored for me, and hopefully better pay. I have been applying for design positions at a competitor of where I'm currently employed (and pays almost twice as much), and I'm pursuing finding illustration work on the side. I'm just glad that till I move on, my job won't be making me completely miserable.

I don't like to think of ADD as a disability, to me it's like having a different set of strengths and weaknesses. If I could make a living solely as a painter, I probably wouldn't notice most of it's downsides.

I was diagnosed with severe ADD as a kid (before it was super-common), but also.. this may sound cheesy AND self-absorbed, the same psychiatrist also said I'm qualified as some kind of genius.

I told you it sounded cheesy.

Quite the contrary. I have worked with ADD children and they all have high IQ. I, myself had ADD and have a very high IQ.

That being said... stay out of jobs that require high detail attention. There are some jobs out there that will not work for you and as Batya said, this is not something for you. Start looking for another job while you are in this and put in your resignation when you find something. I have worked jobs that require high detail- not only did I not performed well at them, but I also had the same problems you have.

But if you got to keep this job, ADD medication will help you focus.

Archived