Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

A question regarding UK nationality,might be weird.any knowledgeable person

brokenhurt

well it might be inappropriate to ask such question in this forum but there is a lot of confusion .i have visited few consultants but still confusion

my question is if a women belonging to outside UK (having a daughter from ex husband,both not possessing british nationality) gets married to a person who has UK nationality can she apply for british nationality for herself and her daughter? and if so after how much time she can apply for nationality?

Background:

My friends mom who belongs to india she is a divorcee and had daughter from her ex husband,she met a person online who is british,she got married with him and imigrated to UK but now there are few family problems between them and she is much worried about the situation,its been 2.5 years since she is in UK with her british husband now she wanted to know can she apply for nationality for herself and her daughter?if so after how much time will she be eligible to get nationality for herself and her daughter,she said her husband is not allowing her to visit some consultant as he thinks that after getting nationality she might leave him.so there is a lot of confusion

Your answers will be much appreciated

MOD if the thread seem inappropriate or weird then kindly delete it

The only relevant question is does she have indefinite leave to remain in the UK as a result of her marriage? She should have applied for this after 2 years. If she hasn't, and there marriage has dissolved, then her visa will expire and she will be required to return to India.

As it stands at the moment she dosent qualify for UK nationality. I would urge her to contact the Home Office via the Border and Immigration Authorty immediately, not using consultants. Anything she needs to do will be explained, it dosent new expensive consults.

so if a person who is not married or in any kind of relationship with any uk citizen but he/she is working in UK so he can get nationality after 6 years? is it so?

Theyre unlikely to be in the UK for 6 years as a Non-UK citizen anyway, work permits are issued very very rarely for that length of time. As always it depends how they enters the country and the situation. No one here can give a definitive answer and should not attempt to do so.

The only relevant question is does she have indefinite leave to remain in the UK as a result of her marriage? She should have applied for this after 2 years. If she hasn't, and there marriage has dissolved, then her visa will expire and she will be required to return to India.

As it stands at the moment she dosent qualify for UK nationality. I would urge her to contact the Home Office via the Border and Immigration Authorty immediately, not using consultants. Anything she needs to do will be explained, it dosent new expensive consults.

her marriage is not dissolved or not going to be anytime soon,its just that her husband is extra cautious that after getting nationality she might leave him thats why he is not helping her regarding this issue.

she is now for 2.5 years with this man so you mean to say that she would have applied 5 months ago? if she would have 5 months ago then after how much time she will be able to get nationality?

and also what about her daughter? mean her daughter will also get the nationality as soon as that lady gets?

When they orrignally got married and she moving here she will have been granted an intial 2 year leave to remain. This is for the BIA to ensure the marriage is genuine and continuing. Basically its a check against sham marriages. Before the end of that 2 year period she should have applied for Indefinate Leave to Remain, in which case she could stay here permenatly and it dosent matter a jot what her husband thinks. If she HASNT applied for that ILtR then I dont see how shes still here, and if she is still here with an expired visa then she wont get another and will be deported.

Her daughter will also be elligable for British Nationality, but Im unsure about the rules regarding children of pervious marriages. Ill say it again, she needs to contact the Home Office and check on her immigration status, because that the most important thing. If she has already allowed a visa to expire then shell have real problems staying in this country, let alone getting UK citizenship.

i think she have got extension or what you call ILtR and her Visa is not expired so she is here for 2.5 years ,and the official website says you can apply after 3 years for nationality in case you have a husband who is british citizen so it means she can apply after 7 months from today?

by the way sorry for troubling you

Archived