Is it normal for things to be 'off limits' because it reminds a parter of an ex?

miie

Is it normal for things to be 'off limits' because it reminds a parter of an ex?

I'll be going away in a month with my BF but a few places/sites we cant go to because he went there with his ex girlfriend about 9 years ago. Yes, nine!

I was playing music and he kept stopping and skipping songs because it reminded him of an ex.

Is this normal?

No. It's not normal. He's trying to preserve parts of his relationship and memories with her in case they ever get back together. If he were over her, he'd realize that he wouldn't be making the SAME memories with you there but DIFFERENT memories - which are neither better or worse. Just different.

He's holding on.

They visited the place back in 2000, so 10 years ago. They broke up 9 years ago. In a few months, we'll have been together for 2 years. He was single for 3 years before we met, but dated before that. I know this other ex, was the first girl he loved (he has told me he loves me), and i know things will remember him of her etc, but im not sure why he has to constantly tell me that. A while ago now, she tried to get back in touch with him, and it felt that he did still have feelings for her. But nothing was discussed or talked about. He just went distant.

Archived