How not to write an online dating profile

JoeK_19

This girl was actually kinda cute in her profile pictures, but I think I threw-up a little bit in my mouth when I read her profile. Maybe I should try to meet up with her to see if she has any sort of intelligence.

"I would love to start off by saying what an amazing and great person i am like so many people do but that would make me a lier like so many people are! However i am just your typical girl looking for that typical guy. I enjoy going out and having a good time tieing one off but i'd reather chill at home and really get to know someone. You have to be an open person i cant stand judgemental people its probably the biggest turn off for me. We are all diffferent for a reason and i feel we need to immbrase that. I dont really have a type but i can say i am more attracted to the "hippy/bike" type long hair and tattoos get me every time but thats not only what i'm looking for. I want someone with a good head and an open heart who's ready to immbrasse life. Oh there is one must you have to be a hocke fan!!"

I have dabbled in online dating and the poor grammar and typos like the ones here completely turn me off. It's gotten to the point where I'll mention "good grammar" as a turn-on in my own ad or profile.

But as Deenas said, if you don't like it just move to the next.

If you value intelligence in a girl, I don't think you're going to find a lot here.

It's another thing to have a tiny typo here and there, it's another thing to misspell lots of words again and again. "immbrase"? "hoke"? How can you have an interest in something if you can't spell it right?

I agree with the others - I wouldn't have posted her profile word for word here. You could have just given us the "gist" of it, maybe mention the mispellings and that would not require copy/pasting.

I think many people make online profile mistakes and I see them often. Probably the worst personal I saw online was at Craigslist. First off the guy starts being nasty by saying "I'm trying this again because I got scammers". He then rambles on about not looking for Russian mail order brides, etc. Then we get to his actual profile. There are typos galore, including run on sentences. However, that isn't even the worst part. This guy is 44, mentions he lives with his mom and "deal with it". I understand that people are moving back in, but that's not the rest of the story. The fact is he lives with her because he has a job that doesn't pay much (cashier at a grocery store), and he doesn't even have a driver's license so the woman would have to do all the driving! Not that this makes a difference but he's 5'8 and overweight to boot.

Having majored in a language, I find spelling and punctuation really important.

I mean, I'm female, but if it was a guy writing this, I'd be completely turned off by a message like that, especially if he was native in English. Of course this is my opinion.

Is English her mother tongue?

I think she sounds sweet and that she actually does display some intelligence. Does someone not knowing how to spell embrace mean they aren't intelligent? I still have trouble spelling nessecary and i have an IQ of 134. Harder word than embrace, sure, but still.... I think yr being a snob, sorry.

This profile could have had perfect spelling and it would still be a horrible profile. We can learn a lot from its mistakes. The phony exclamation points. The phrase "I can't stand judgmental people; its probably the biggest turnoff for me. We are all different" (No, not you - you're one of 2 million people to say they don't like judgmental people in your online profile)

Bad spelling is one thing, but some typos like "diffferent" indicate she's typing this profile really really fast, probably within about 30 seconds, so how serious could she be?

"just your typical girl" - panders to men who have a girl fetish - probably the men who respond to any spam email they receive if the address sounds like a feminine name.

"I enjoy going out ... but i'd rather chill at home" - so she has every personality and hence no personality. It's best to avoid conflicts like this and take a stand!

Oh, and "So many people are liars" - good thing she doesn't like judgmental people.

my bf has pretty bad grammar. his emails to me had horrible mistakes like your and you're. Yet he was an english major and now getting his MD. it's not that bad... sometimes, people's english just suck. it doesn't mean they're stupid. geez. harsh.

i think it might be dyslexia but i'm not sure.

I think she sounds all right. She made a joke, sounds quite breezy and upbeat, typos aside she doesn't sound bad. English may not be her native tongue - it's possible. Even if it is, education is not always a measure of intelligence. I know lots of professionals who can't spell for toffee (not quite as bad as that, but pretty bad).

I have dabbled in online dating and the poor grammar and typos like the ones here completely turn me off. It's gotten to the point where I'll mention "good grammar" as a turn-on in my own ad or profile.

Vouch this.

It's funny though, because of the outrageous ratio of men to women on those websites, she'll still be hit up by a ton of guys.

• 2 months later...

Philos--I totally agree with you, she's a chick that appears kinda cute in her profile pics, so I'm sure she's being assaulted by messages from dudes. To my supporters...thank you! To the people that gave me some grief...I'm sorry. Personally, I'm a grammar nazi. In my opinion, when making an online profile, one would like to make the best impression possible upon potential mates. Not running a spell check is just sloppy, and if you put that much effort into an online dating profile, how much effort will you put into a relationship?

That profile is very poorly written and appears to be extremely sloppy. It does not do a very good job at all in describing herself or give much insight. A lot of cliche statements as well.

I see these profiles often on online dating websites and they are usually quite a turnoff. I hardly ever message people like this anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes - I am guilty as charged! It is a complete, utter turn-off for me to find poor spelling, or the inability to string together coherent sentences in a dating profile. And nothing gets me hotter than a well-worded, clever profile that has perfect word usage. I don't know - it's just my weird turn on. I hope this indicates that I find myself more attracted to a man's mind than his pretty face.

hahaahhaha.

that was bad but I've actually seen much worse!

I've seen guys who write something like this...

"yo wuz good..im lookin for a sexy gurl..im a good guy iiaght..i like chillin and hip hope muzic, i go out nn party and clubs, get madd drunk. i chill wit ma boys..i also like to drwa and big sportz fan!! so holla at me.."

ohh boy

hahaahhaha.

that was bad but I've actually seen much worse!

I've seen guys who write something like this...

"yo wuz good..im lookin for a sexy gurl..im a good guy iiaght..i like chillin and hip hope muzic, i go out nn party and clubs, get madd drunk. i chill wit ma boys..i also like to drwa and big sportz fan!! so holla at me.."

ohh boy

I had a guy write a message almost exactly like that. Then when I didn't respond he send me another message like that except mentioning I wasn't good enough for him. Oh and the guy was obviously a thug wannabe.Yeah I really want to date a guy like that.

• 1 month later...

If you're looking for a smart chick, or at least one that seems conscious of how she uses the English language, definitely weed ones like this out. Honestly, I wouldn't be interested in a guy who had a profile like that, but that's just me. I want to be with someone who values education, can hold a good conversation, and doesn't pepper an IM conversation with a zillion "lol's". I'm not like that, so I don't want a person like that.

But when it boils down to it, I think people should make their profiles however they please. Half of the time, people just skim the info and focus on the picture anyway, as sad as that is.

Archived