Got a DUI, how will this affect med school and careers?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I were you and wanted to go on to prove you've changed, I would start regularly attending AA meetings and taking alcohol awareness classes. It will show that you are taking full responsibility for your actions and that it was indeed a mistake. When they go to review, it will be on the record that you were proactive about changing your lifestyle.

gonna say i agree with this...stop drinking and show that you've changed and that you're making a conscious effort to change. there's no harm in trying this approach...it may help more than you think!

be aware though that AA is for people with alcoholism...do you think you're an alcoholic or woudl you be doing it just to show that you're willing to show you've changed? b/c AA means you remain anonymous...and some people (like people who decide who to accept into med school) may think that being an alcoholic means there's always a chance to relapse, and that coudl come back to haunt you as well.

depends on how reputable the school is.. for one

depends on your attitude about it as well.. that's what irks me.. own your mistake and quit trying to make excuses for it.... who wants a doctor that can't own up to their own misgivings?

if you're up for a spot and it's between you and an equally qualified candidate.. it could be the decision maker.

you're going to in competiton with lots of very smart, driven, competitive people... if a career in medicine is what you want.. then your actions need to match that

I just got a DUI. It wasn't serious as no one got hurt

This is the second time you have got a DUI, the last one being last month (which you posted about in May), when you also said "it wasn't serious and no one got hurt".

Getting TWO DUI's within a month is pretty serious if you ask me. Next time you won't get off so lightly. Hopefully this is a wake up call for the future.

This is the second time you have got a DUI, the last one being last month (which you posted about in May), when you also said "it wasn't serious and no one got hurt".

Getting TWO DUI's within a month is pretty serious if you ask me. Next time you won't get off so lightly. Hopefully this is a wake up call for the future.

It is the same DUI. I used the wrong wording or explained myself poorly when I said it wasn't serious as it is. No matter how you look at it, I am extremely lucky that no one, including myself, got hurt.

It is the same DUI. I used the wrong wording or explained myself poorly when I said it wasn't serious as it is.

Ahh, ok. I was somewhat surprised/shocked to see you got another DUI, lol. That said, you got some excellent advice in your previous thread on the same topic. Go through it again.

I've gone through it numerous times. There was some very good information, such as the encouragement people gave me. But most of those people didn't have much of a background in the medical field. I think livinginsbi, hersmudders, and jengh have given me very good advice. Some of it is critical and was hard for me to interpret at first considering I can't completely come to terms to what has happened (a feeling I can't explain). I really needed some advice from people who have a background in the medical field.

I may sound like I don't own up to it 100%, but in all reality whenever I think about it or read the police report I feel like a piece of trash. Its like I know I'll get through this, but when I really think about what happened and what I did I feel awful. It's the feeling that you know you did something wrong and you can't change it. That sickness in your stomach.

Just a little extra information that I found very discouraging at court. When my attorney was attempting to make a plea agreement with the city attorney, the city attorney said that if I didn't have a 3.7 or higher GPA that I should consider a different profession. He also told me that since I do most of the grunt work with mentally disabled individuals, I should just go into nursing... I didn't say anything or show any behavior changes. The one thing I can say, when people doubt me it drives me to persevere. If anything that gave me a little bit of motivation for the future.

Edit: I should clarify the discouraging part was how he compared grunt work to nursing or more specifically a nurse anesthetist.

It's good that your parents are helping you out on the legal matters and you're ALIVE. You should be thankful for that more than anything at this point. Let it be a lesson no matter what the end result may be. You lived for a reason, as much as you may feel low and you can still stand up by learn from the mistakes and move on. Just show that you're serious about wanting change and make the right decision moving forward.

I'm 20 and I'm applying to medical school too when I am done with college.

I'm honestly not sure how med schools will see a DUI...I think it will vary by school. They really do not like offenses that include the misuse of drugs. I know that if you get caught with pot and are charged with that, med school is out of the question. DUIs seem to be more common but they WILL give you a disadvantage.

I know an older doctor who got into medical school...his FRESHMAN GPA was .8. I'm not kidding. After that year, he busted his bum and got 4.0 all the other years and did all these extra things to really make up for it. he's an MD now so it obviously worked. But he was also HONEST about his past and did things to show that he had changed.

That's what you need to do. Don't be skirting around the issue, be upfront and honest...I would mention it before they do "Hey what's this on your record" so that way it shows you're upfront. Don't go to AA unless you really do have a problem with alcohol. Instead, I would take an alcohol abuse course...lots of people who get DUIs have to take that.

BTW, I wanted to add....becoming a nurse is nothing to sneeze at. It's a very stressful job (sometimes I wonder if it's more stressful than being a doctor!) with many,many patients to care for. There is a shortage of nurses, honestly. We need more of them.

They are wonderful people who really do a lot for the sick. I have a lot of respect for them and when I become a doctor, I will be sure to always treat them well. I know a couple doctors who aren't very nice to nurses and I think that's mean. You need to be firm with your instructions, but nice, understanding, and respectful too.

I also wanted to add that stories like these is why I don't really drink...or party....or do drugs. I really feel bad for you. It's easy to screw up, especially when you're young and everyone else is doing stupid things too. I only drink in the privacy of my own home and it will be at night and I won't allow myself to drive anywhere until tomorrow.

I really hope you've learned your lesson and I hope you can move on from this.

I work with substance abuse/criminal activity in a circuit court. Our clients, those your age and in similar scenarios often struggle to even be hired at McDonalds, but everything is case by case. Though simple, you won't know the effect of this decision until it happens.

School wise, I have seen people get into community colleges with connections from our liaisons but nothing further. I'm guessing it will impact you. Honestly, wouldn't you want someone with a DUI to have a hard time getting into medical school? It is an elite industry.

My honest advice (and you may scoff at it) is to keep yourself to one DUI. If you catch even one more infraction regarding license or substances, your quality of life will change dramatically for the worst. You might have been able to talk your way out of this one if you had lied, but that won't be the case from now on. You're legally marked in the eyes of police officers.

Frankly, if you show that you have worked on your issue AND done a lot since then (graduated summa cum laude from undergrad, volunteered at a clinic, held good jobs, aced the MCAT, etc.), you're not doomed. Unless you are a junkie or an alcoholic with more on your record, you won't end up at McDonald's. You just have to work really hard from here on and not mess up ever again. Even for law school, if you have top notch grades and a high LSAT score, the top 10 schools will take you even if you messed up once. It doesn't mean they won't consider that at all, but if you have the grades, the score, and a good resume, you have a good chance.

Also, I don't buy the "accidental drunk driving" scenario. Drinking doesn't magically make you do things you wouldn't do when sober. People are aware they shouldn't drive when they have drunk. They just don't care and do it anyway. That is no accident. Same goes for cheating, for example. But that's just my opinion.

I may sound like I don't own up to it 100%, but in all reality whenever I think about it or read the police report I feel like a piece of trash. Its like I know I'll get through this, but when I really think about what happened and what I did I feel awful. It's the feeling that you know you did something wrong and you can't change it. That sickness in your stomach.

I believe when people say you're not "owning up to it" they mean exactly the above. You keep on stating how you feel horrible when you think about it or are reminded of it......... ok.... so? That's still not owning up to it. That's just feeling sorry for yourself.

I agree with livinginsbi - at this particular moment I don't think you're med school material... however, you still have several years before you step into that interview room. People change and mature.

Even though you may not be an alcoholic (by def'n) joining AA may be a good step. NEVER touching alcohol again (mentioned before) is also an excellent (and imo, required) step.

Finally, someone else also mentioned no matter your stats - you will be able to find a medical school that will take you... if you have the money.

Not medical school, but the pharmacy college my friend attends has a strict policy against substance "abuse". One DUI and you are out (or any substance related offense). That is once you are in the college - I am not certain how it would impact the application process though.

I know medical schools may also have a policy against substance "abuse".

Think of it this way...would you want a doctor, someone who is around medication all the time, to have had a past of abuse with drugs? Either they were an addict, used them incorrectly, etc. Alcohol may be legal but it does not look good when one abuses it. DUIs are particularly bad because it meant you put others at risk for injury.

You need to own up to what you did...and that doesn't mean just saying sorry. Say this "I was young, stupid, and impressionable. What I did was terrible." and I mean it, it was terrible. You could have freaking killed someone. Ruminate on that for a while. Don't just be like "oh poor me"...admit that you were totally wrong and irresponsible. You really should feel like you need to "make up" for it and it was totally your fault and you deserved the punishment.

Once you're in any screw up can get you expelled. Getting in is another story. Over the years, I have spoke to admissions committee members for college and professional schools and what I can say is that it will matter to them that you got a DUI, BUT like I said above, if you show you overcame that by working on yourself, getting great grades, and a great score on the admissions test, you have a good chance. No one is perfect. Many doctors do far worse things. So I don't think one mistake necessarily means he is not medical school material or that he should never be a doctor or that once he is he shouldn't be deserving of trust. It's up to him if he gets his act together, but this doesn't mean his life is over. It just means he has to work extra hard to get certain places.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I just wanted to know if I still had a chance at it, rather than one screw up (DUI in this case) would prevent me from being accepted by a med school. I already volunteer during my summer time while I take classes. There is always room for improvement, and I may not be ready for med school yet but there is still hope... I think anyways.

Archived