Got a DUI, how will this affect med school and careers?

Yeah, just don't do it again. You're not totally screwed.

BTW, I wouldn't call it a "screw up"...it's a BIG, stupid mistake. Part of owning up is realizing the seriousness of the situation. If you got interviewed, you don't want to minimize what you did....you never know if the interviewer was affected by drunk driving and will get really angry.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many people get trashed and drive, like no big deal...they only care when they get caught so it is easy to think of it as a simple mistake since the likelihood that 8 of their friends did the same thing that night is high. People see it as bad luck, but boy do you learn when you kill people and have to give up all of your plans to sit in jail.

God, crap like this is why I don't drive around in the dark OR walk on sidewalks on the weekends at college. I stay in. I had a friend who was out (went to a store - doesn't drink) and was almost hit by a driver who was obviously drunk. It's scary.

Tons of people are too inconsiderate to even consider the safety of strangers.

BTW, OP, how long was your license taken away for? I thought I read 90 day suspension. I thought that was a really light (slap on the wrist) sentence. Usually they are supposed to take away your license for a long time if you are under 21 and are caught drinking/driving.

I suggest you stop drinking/partying.

I had a friend who was once arrested for disorderly conduct--I don't remember the details or how long he had to spend in the slammer, but this person went on to an excellent, accredited medical school. Granted, this was several years after the incident, and he had earned a graduate degree in the time before entry. I honestly don't know how seriously an admissions committee would weigh an offense like this against a DUI when choosing between applicants. Medical school admissions are some of the most fickle things I've ever had the pleasure to witness and hear about.

OP, I don't know if you've seen a medical school application before, but you will have to explain any charges against you other than minor traffic infractions. There is a dedicated spot for this on the application.

Also, for what it's worth...I've never found that the actions of students in advanced programs are necessarily upheld to the standard that society expects. In the graduate program in which I am serving a fellowship right now, drug use (soft and hard), as well as heavy alcohol use, is rampant. These are some of your future medical researchers...if they make it that far.

Thanks for the advice MissIndigo. I have heard that some medical school admissions can be fickle. There are some people who got in and I wonder how much they paid to...while others I feel are AWESOME with great reports and they can't get in.

I think a disorderly conduct is definitely different from a DUI though. The reason why is because it doesn't involve drugs of any sorts and doesn't necessarily put people in danger. It's easy to say "yeah, I was young, stupid, loud, and ya know..." and let things in the past stay in the past in this case.

I think a DUI is different because of the drug factor. Med schools are VERY picky about the drug issues in people because they themselves, if they make it, will have access to medications of all sorts. Med schools do NOT want people who abuse medication in any way...that means either being an addict or drinking too much and then putting people at risk because you decided to get behind the wheel.

I think your odds are better because you were charged with a misdemeanor rather than a felony. A felony is a major strike against you, regardless of what field you are in.

If you really want a shot at medical school, I think you should contact a local Mothers Against Drunk Driving group (or something similar) and offer to volunteer with them. Perhaps they need someone to go do speaking engagements at local high schools or in other settings. Perhaps they would like you to write your story and publish it on their website. I think making a commitment to a group like this and taking actions to help teach others not to make the mistake you did is probably one of the best things you can do to offset the effects of your DUI on your record.

If I were in your shoes, that is what I would do.

This is an awesome idea, TennesseeGirl!

Much better than joining AA if you're not an alcoholic. Helping out MADD will show that you've changed and are learning more about the consequences for those hurt from this stupid, inconsiderate action.

You'll be ok, I'm sure.

I think your odds are better because you were charged with a misdemeanor rather than a felony. A felony is a major strike against you, regardless of what field you are in.

If you really want a shot at medical school, I think you should contact a local Mothers Against Drunk Driving group (or something similar) and offer to volunteer with them. Perhaps they need someone to go do speaking engagements at local high schools or in other settings. Perhaps they would like you to write your story and publish it on their website. I think making a commitment to a group like this and taking actions to help teach others not to make the mistake you did is probably one of the best things you can do to offset the effects of your DUI on your record.

If I were in your shoes, that is what I would do.

That is... a... pristine suggestion! Thank you for suggesting that.

As of now, I'm just trying to be optimistic and making the most out of each day. That includes making the best decisions in each scenario I have in a given day. I'm determined to be a better person in general. I seldom partied or drank at all (I think I said around twice a year for drinking), and I have no motivation to do so. The way I look at it is drinking is a waste of time which could be invested into something much more worthwhile.

The two thoughts that keep popping into my head are "why save tomorrow what you can do today?" and that time is precious. Doing anything unproductive is a waste of time. This often leads me to getting few hours of sleep, but it definitely helps me sleep better at night knowing that I did the best I could in the previous day.

And as numerous people pointed out earlier, the best thing I can do right now is to make sure nothing like this happens or is even possible again. I am definitely looking into the MADD suggestion. It may prevent this from happening to someone else. You never know. And I think it may help clear my mind by posting my story for them to use or even speaking publicly for them.

All I'll add to this thread is I'd stay away from AA as I do believe that will come back to haunt you if you attend.

I have an acquaintance who has SEVEN DUIs in her history. Count 'em - SEVEN. This is why, in part, she is only an acquaintance and not really a friend. I cannot quite understand such social irresponsibility. At any rate, she's managed to bounce back on her feet time after time and keeps getting decent jobs (and even after she was fired from her last very good job for showing up drunk she has now managed to find work in this horrible economy without having to explain that away).

My point is sounds like you have a great plan in place and just keep your nose to the grindstone, stay out of trouble and I am sure you'll realize your dream of medical school.

I figure you have to declare ALL felonies on apps like that for as long as you're alive...but misdemeanors? I thought those sort of "dropped off" after a certain number of years...like, they are still on your record of course, but after a certain amount of time, you're no longer required by law to report them on job apps like that.

Archived