Getting my stuff back

confused25

So my bf and I had a talk over the phone about 2 weeks ago and we decided that it's probably best that we just break up. We were both very calm over the phone and there were no arguments. We had made plans to talk face to face just because there are things that are best to be discussed in person. I also mentioned that I'd like to get back some of my belongings at his house. He had said that one of the nights in the following week he would try to stop by after work and drop off my stuff and talk in person. Well that was a week ago . . . every time he would cancel saying that he is really busy at work and that he would need to reschedule for another day. Now I am just getting a little annoyed because I'm not sure if he's purposely trying to avoid me. I offered to come by and pick up the stuff but he said he would rather drop them off. So now I don't think I even want to talk to him, I just want my stuff back!! What should I do? We've been playing phone tag and texting back and forth for a week and still nothing. I don't want to call him again to remind him because I don't want to sound like an ex who won't leave him alone!

Call him once more but get to the bottom of things. Tell him that you just want to coordinate to get your things back and then he won't have to worry about dealing with you anymore. Saying that puts the ball in his court; forcing him to hopefully grow up after realizing that you're not playing his game and you want your stuff so that you can move on. He might get pissed and be even more difficult to deal with because of that, so be prepared for that too. If all else fails, you may have to go through a chain of authority to get those items.

I'd email him your mailing address and ask him to please send your things. I'd add that you're still open to meeting for a talk if he's ever up for that, but your belongings are a separate issue. While you appreciate his offer to deliver your things in person, you really want them back regardless of his schedule. Then thank him in advance.

If you don't hear back from him or receive your things in a week or two, I'd 'reply all' your original message, add 'Followup' to the subject line and write "Any word on this?" above your original message.

If your belongings are of high enough value, you can print these requests as documentation--that's why it's good to include the part about appreciating his offer to deliver them personally, which addresses his admission that he's holding your property. The emails demo your attempts to request your property--so next step would be a small claims complaint.

If your stuff is not valuable enough to pursue a small claim, then I'd just write it off to experience and leave the guy alone to feel like a douche.

Archived