Do bigger guys get treated with more respect?

CntJstSitArond

I mean mostly muscle big. I don't mean in a intimidating way like people look at you and go OMG if I don't treat him nicely I'll get my ass beat kind of way. I just mean people more inclined to treating you nicer or showing more respect to you cause you look better or something. I'm a stick. 145lb at 5'10 or 11. (I dunno...I get ALOT of people telling me I'm 6'0 cause they say they are 5'10 or 5'11 and I'm taller than them, but everytime I measure myself I'm not 6'0). So anyway, I'm skinny and have poor posture too. I don't have that big manly chest from the side view, I'm flat...when I measure the around my belly button and around the widest part of my chest, the measurement is almost the same... I just feel that outside in public or even within the family with younger family members, I'm not treated as nice as I want to be treated. They look at one of my other cousin that's like 6'2 and huge and think he's tough and cool. Do bigger(buffer) looking guys get more respect not just from girls but guys too?

When it comes to appearance I would say height has more impact than girth unless you're somewhere (such as a beach) where tight/no shirts are common.

I have heard that good-looking tall people (of both genders) get noticed more for jobs, dates, etc.

I treat people with respect in general...I don't care whether they are tall, short, overweight, obese or thin. I would not think much of a guy who assumes he commands more respect simply because he has muscles and is well built. Body type does not influence me when it comes to respecting someone...it is their personality and how they treat people which determines whether or not I respect them.

Hmm this is a good question... I guess maybe sub consciously yes... I mean don't get me wrong everyone can be disrespected but with that said I'm prob about the same height... 6ft. right now ~200 pounds and generally people don't mess with me. Of course if I was 6ft and 200 pounds with almost no muscle that'd be a different story.

It's probably more about confidence than anything but if you felt like you'd gain confidence by packing on pounds and getting bigger by all means do it man. Whatever makes you feel better about yourself... It's just like what I say when talking bout weight people always put numbers on these things like I want to lose 10 or 20 pounds. Just get to a point where you think you look your best and are happy with where you are at.

I'm 6'1" and a few years ago I weighed around 160 lbs (skinny). Right now I weigh around 210 lbs, most of which is muscle thanks to good old - tren. Here is what I have noticed:

I get a bit more attention from females (not sure if this is because I stand out more and are more noticeable or if it's the bigger built). I get approached a bit more at clubs/bars. I also find that I get touched more by women (mostly drunk ones) when I pass by them in congested clubs or bars.

I definitely notice a huge difference when I come out at night. For some strange reason I don't get hassled by bouncers as much and I find that people don't push into me at all whereas when I was small I would get bumped left and right in congested places. I get served quicker by bartenders and stuff of that sort.

I notice no difference in the professional world.

I notice no difference when I'm out-and-about during the day.

I've noticed that bodybuilders are often unfairly considered dimwits.

It's a defense mechanism. People envy the physique and imply that they're dimwits to make them level with everyone else and make themselves feel better. Most bodybuilders are very intelligent and some of the most disciplined people on the planet. Only those who don't understand the true science and art and years of dedication behind bodybuilding will make such associations.

Eh, it goes both ways. I'm roughly the size of a defensive end in the NFL and you are either a target for people trying to prove themselves or people get out of your way.

I think more often than not it depends on how you carry yourself.

I've always seen it as a bit of subconscious authority in any situation. I'm 6'6" and not scrawny and as I've gotten older and into positions of direct autority, I find my size and looks definitely "grease the wheels" on some thing, but certainly not everything, nor carte blanche for anything.

It's kind of chicken/egg in many ways. Typically speaking buff people, and even attractive people in general, have more confidence in themselves and thus demand it of others. The way you carry yourself is important. I know a skinny guy at my workplace who is probably the most confident person I've ever met. He likely does need to work a little harder than guys with perfect physiques, though, but it's definitely not something you can't counter with some effort.

• 2 weeks later...

I struggled with this question myself for a long time when I was younger. I was similar to your size and I took a lot of crap about it in high school and college. My friends were the "jocks" and I was the skinny guy in the group. Now that I'm older, more mature and experienced I realize the problem was deeper than size (but size helps).

Whatever your size, people treat you the way you let them treat you. You need to set personal boundaries and respect those boundaries no matter what. Don't try to always please people and put others before yourself. People will continually test your boundaries (consciously or unconsciously) to see if you stand up for yourself. When I was younger I never stood up for myself and let people get away with a lot of crap. This is where size can help, but is not needed. People will test you less, but if you still don't respect yourself and your personal boundaries, you'll get the same treatment. Start by respecting yourself, speaking up when someone disrespects you and don't be afraid to walk away or take someone out of your life. Just because you called them a "friend" for the last 10 years, doesn't mean you can't walk away if they treat you like crap. As you get older you start to realize you can actually choose your friends...this is something I've recently learned from hard experience.

Having said that, you really should try bulking up. I lived with this issue for years and never took the action to change until recently. Looking back I was always self conscious about my size and I wish I had done something about it earlier. There's plenty of advice available online.

Like I said I was a similar size to yourself. You're considered a "hard gainer", because it's very hard for you to gain mass. It comes down to more diet than training, but you need both. Here's my advice on how to start:

1) Commitment: this is key, without this nothing else matters. Also, don't expect this to be a quick 3-6 month gain. I went from 145-155 in 3 months, 155-165 in 6 months and I'm hoping to hit 175 at the end of 1 year.

2)Diet: Don't believe you're small because of genetics (like I did). It's your diet. If you want to gain size you should be consuming a ton of protein and carbs in a day. Google the exact amounts for this and diet suggestions for "bulking", but I believe you need around 1.5-2.0g of protein for every lb of body weight. So you should be taking in around 250-300g a day (start slow and work up to this). You also need to be getting in 6 meals a day...these two are tough but manageable with proper planning. I eat like this now, but looking back I was eating 50-100g of protein a day with only 1-2 meals a day.

3)Workout Plan/Schedule: I'd suggest googling WSFSB, RippeToe's Starting Strength, or StrongLift's 5x5 programs. Or even just start with "bulking up" and it'll give you tons of results. Stick to the programs given as they are designed for skinny guys who want to bulk up. Your goal is low frequency with high intensity. Only work out 3 days a week, but work out hard and heavy. You need to work up to this intensity though, don't just walk in the gym and hit the heaviest weights you can. Research, research, research and realize this is a long term goal.

4)Change it up: after a few months of a program, switch it up. Try another bulking program to hit different muscles and keep your body guessing.

Good luck.

I'm 5'10 and 285lbs. I'm a powerlifter and live in NYC...people cross the street when i'm walking down the street if there is noone else around...if i lose my temper people call the police or go for a weapon...but i have to admit...i embellish and got high off the feelilng sometimes...the trick is to stay relaxed...acting threatening can be intimidating...staying relaxed, especially in a confrontation...is terrifying.

I am 6'6" tall with broad shoulders, large chest but slim and I have noticed that other men tend to give me respect in certain situations. It goes both ways though. Some people seem to have an alpha-male point to prove that they are not initimidated by a much taller, bigger man - I've had such events occur a couple of times in nightclubs.

Bigger men get more attention the same way attractive women get more attention. The fact is the more appealing someone is to the oppisite sex the more opprtunities they will have in life. Whether that be friendship opportunities, relationship, or professional. Yes there are exceptions but they have to work harder.

I treat everyone with respect, I'd like to think.

It's hard to separate bigger guys get more respect from intimidation though. I have to admit, I do not feel comfortable around overly large men. As a petite woman, I've been pushed and pulled around a lot. I wouldn't want to make any guy, especially a larger man angry when he is drunk. You just don't know how strangers will react. So, I tend to be meeker and slip away unnoticed when I don't feel comfortable.

Personally, I tend to think of the muscle men as being airheaded. I once saw a really built guy in a library (that I was in), and couldn't help thinking, "He reads?!"

I know it's a stereotype, but generally the 'dumb jock' role gets played a lot. I'd rather be a thin intellectual, than a build jock with ($*% for brains.

I think so, but in the same way blonde women with big boobs get more respect....

To me, that doesn't really sound like a bad thing though maybe I think you mean it to be. I wish I got more attention...

And as long as you don't dress like a slob or punk but neat/well, you should get more respect. A world of difference when you dress up wherever you go. And it doesn't have to be a suit and a tie.

I am always in a plain tshirt and jeans. Over that t-shirt I wear a hoodie most the time to make me look bigger. I have a few dress shirts but I never wear then cause I look so skinny in them.

I struggled with this question myself for a long time when I was younger. I was similar to your size and I took a lot of crap about it in high school and college. My friends were the "jocks" and I was the skinny guy in the group. Now that I'm older, more mature and experienced I realize the problem was deeper than size (but size helps).

Whatever your size, people treat you the way you let them treat you. You need to set personal boundaries and respect those boundaries no matter what. Don't try to always please people and put others before yourself. People will continually test your boundaries (consciously or unconsciously) to see if you stand up for yourself. When I was younger I never stood up for myself and let people get away with a lot of crap. This is where size can help, but is not needed. People will test you less, but if you still don't respect yourself and your personal boundaries, you'll get the same treatment. Start by respecting yourself, speaking up when someone disrespects you and don't be afraid to walk away or take someone out of your life. Just because you called them a "friend" for the last 10 years, doesn't mean you can't walk away if they treat you like crap. As you get older you start to realize you can actually choose your friends...this is something I've recently learned from hard experience.

Having said that, you really should try bulking up. I lived with this issue for years and never took the action to change until recently. Looking back I was always self conscious about my size and I wish I had done something about it earlier. There's plenty of advice available online.

Like I said I was a similar size to yourself. You're considered a "hard gainer", because it's very hard for you to gain mass. It comes down to more diet than training, but you need both. Here's my advice on how to start:

1) Commitment: this is key, without this nothing else matters. Also, don't expect this to be a quick 3-6 month gain. I went from 145-155 in 3 months, 155-165 in 6 months and I'm hoping to hit 175 at the end of 1 year.

2)Diet: Don't believe you're small because of genetics (like I did). It's your diet. If you want to gain size you should be consuming a ton of protein and carbs in a day. Google the exact amounts for this and diet suggestions for "bulking", but I believe you need around 1.5-2.0g of protein for every lb of body weight. So you should be taking in around 250-300g a day (start slow and work up to this). You also need to be getting in 6 meals a day...these two are tough but manageable with proper planning. I eat like this now, but looking back I was eating 50-100g of protein a day with only 1-2 meals a day.

3)Workout Plan/Schedule: I'd suggest googling WSFSB, RippeToe's Starting Strength, or StrongLift's 5x5 programs. Or even just start with "bulking up" and it'll give you tons of results. Stick to the programs given as they are designed for skinny guys who want to bulk up. Your goal is low frequency with high intensity. Only work out 3 days a week, but work out hard and heavy. You need to work up to this intensity though, don't just walk in the gym and hit the heaviest weights you can. Research, research, research and realize this is a long term goal.

4)Change it up: after a few months of a program, switch it up. Try another bulking program to hit different muscles and keep your body guessing.

Good luck.

holy crap dude...that whole thing about respecting my own boundaries. I've had trouble with that my whole life and still do. I think this is why I want to bulk up. I don't think I've ever tested people's boundaries though, but I still continue to push people away cause of they do to mine. I regret doing this alot but I still continue to do it...

Archived