rolling over

SamiJayne

My son is 6 months old now. He can sit up by himself, and can lean forwards to pick things up and keep his balance...

However... When laying down he can't roll over? =/ It states everywhere that babies should be rolling over by 6 months with ease. I know not every baby is the same. But maybe I'm doing something wrong?

How did you encourage your little one to roll over?

hi there.

Just wanted to say that i wudn't worry to much. I work in a creche and we have 2 six month olds, neither of which can roll on, one can't barely sit up. So really i wouldn't worry.

If you want try and encourgae him through play. Start with tummy play and try and encourgage him to roll over.

Just give it time. Eve sometimes babies tend to just miss certain things like going straight to walking without crawling.

Every baby is different. I was worried because Landon had absolutely no interest in walking. He crawled everywhere. It wasnt until after his 1 year birthday that he finally had an interest in walking.

We did alot of tummy time with Landon and we laid him on his side alot. It's easier for them to roll from a side, so start there. And soon he will be flipping back and forth.

Babies walk at different rates too. My brother never crawled he went straight to walking at 9 months old, but that is unusual. I LOVED crawling from what my mother said but I crawled in a very unusual way, almost like a crab with my hands backwards and propelled myself that way. She said I was the fastest little booger she had seen.I finally got up to walk at 14 months then I was off to the races. My son too walked at 14 months and his father walked at 9 months. Books are only a guideline to generally what happens. Every child has their own personal development and do not forget that personality plays a part in this too. Are they more willing to take a physical risk. I am sure your son is normal Sami, just enjoy him. I know it is hard as a first time mom because it is all new to you.

It is hard not to get too wrapped up in the "guidelines" for milestones with babies. As the previous posters have said, every baby is different and will hit those milestones at different times, or possibly not at all. We all know someone who has a baby that has totally skipped crawling and gone right to walking.

Littlepants (my daughter) always HATED tummy time and didn't really get the hang of rolling over until much later than 6 months. I would say closer to 8 months was when she finally caught on, although she still got very frustrated because one arm always got stuck underneath her. LOL Then when it came for crawling time, I was a little concerned because she was a good 10 or 11 months before she really got the hang of crawling, and did a "crab-crawl" on one knee and one foot. It was soooo cute! She only crawled for about a month and a half and was off and walking.

Don't worry about the milestones mama, your doc will let you know if there are any issues with her development on your well-baby visits. I find it's us parents that are the most concerned about what our babies do when. Just relax and enjoy this time, it will go all too fast.

Yeah it is hilarious how they figure out how to get somewhere....lol. My mother said my form of crawling was only represented in like 2% of babies. She tried and tried to get me to do it the traditional way but i would have none of that and would flip around and do it MY way. I did A LOT of stuff MY way....Sinatra's song should have been my theme song.....lol. My mother said I was woman on a mission even as a tiny baby. I knew what I wanted and get out of my way....lol. Once in a while she said I would crawl by bouncing myself accross the floor on my backside. Years later this is the form my son adopted when he crawled. He would either bounce accross the floor like a little ball or do my crazy crab walk. Where there is a will there is a way and kids always have a will and a way.....

Yuppers, they will all figure it out in their own time. Trying to suff every child into the same box just does not work. I remember being a little worried as Littlepants was coming up on a year old and had only attempted walking once, a couple unassisted steps and she was done. Then a little bit later, she was up and running everywhere! As you said, once they figure out the mobility thing there's no stopping them! No matter how they choose to get there. LOL

NO kidding I remember my son would look at me pitifully and cry because he wanted ME to get him down to the floor when he was cruising along the furniture. After he was up he did not know how his butt was supposed to meet the ground again.LOL. I would tell him ' noooooooo Nyan do it" So he would wiggle his little butt over the floor strategically and whine but not let his hands go from the couch or table. (not the ploy to manipulate mom.....LOL)One day he let go, and he was SO shocked that he did it. That accelerated his speed of development to walking alone. He went from walking to running in the same afternoon. The second day I went back to work. I picked him up at my mother's and he was running down the hall clucking like a chicken........thanks MOM.............LOL

Ya I wouldn't worry My daughter didn't crawl until nine months but found out it was because of the hardwood floor, we have no carpet so it was probably more the comfort thing. When we took a trip to Seattle to see my parents she crawled all over the carpet like she knew all along. I kind of miss watching her rolling around everywhere...it was comical now thinking about it, she did it so quietly too.

Archived