I don't want to drink. How hard is that to understand?

Fudgie

Sorry this is a sort of rant here but I'm kind of miffed.

This weekend, my school is holding a special Spring event. Now, I'm a sophomore at college, and I know what this event holds. Usually it's some activities, free ice cream, t-shirts, music, etc. Sounds great right? I thought it was when I was a freshmen, and then I actually showed up.

It's basically a remake of animal house. It's the one weekend a year that you can bring all this alcohol on campus and get drunk off your ass without getting in trouble (yes, even if you're underage).

Last year, I saw a lot of bad * * * * happen - and I wasn't even going out!

-people fighting/screaming at each other in drunken rage.

-people running into the street in front of cars

-vomit all over the bushes

-when I went to take a shower, there were 3 drunk guys in the GIRL'S BATHROOM

-drugs galore

-chugging

I can't stand it. Even at the "non-alcohol" activities, everyone is still drinking and being really annoying and loud.

I don't drink. I can't drink because of my medication. I don't like being around drunk people, I have no tolerance for that kind of thing. I don't like being out of control and I don't like to put myself into those sorts of situations. I don't party either. I don't remember the last time I went to a party. I'm just not into it.

Now here's my beef: I'm driving home for the weekend. Everyone is staying here to attend the event. I'm getting a LOT of crap because I'm not going, even from people who don't really know me. I'm called a "goody-two-shoes" and a "loser"...all because I don't want to drink and I'm going home to avoid all the out-of-control behaviour. Why can't they just accept it? I don't get it.

I don't care if people party, just not around me. It's not what I'm into. I'm a freaking sophomore and I thought people would "grow up" a bit now, but they haven't. Why does it threaten them so much that I don't feel a need to go out and get wasted? I do really well in school and I'm happy with myself, but because I don't drink/party, I don't have many friends.

I love the school part of college, but I hate the life here.

And these same people that are trashing you for not going are likely the ones that are either gonna end up dead from alcohol poisoning, drinking and driving, or they are going to end up sleeping with someone they don't know and probably get an std.

Don't ever let someone put you down because of your beliefs. I don't drink either and if anyone has a problem with it, they can go kick rocks.

O M G

I'm going through the same dilemma right now!!!

My new class TA is throwing a welcome party for us, and it's at a BAR.

AND you know what? It's mandatory.

If I don't go, I probably won't be able to get to know my new classmates and end up

being a "loser" who didn't show up, so yeah I'm forced to participate.

I mean, is it so hard to understand for some people that drinking isn't everyone's favorite thing? I'm allergic to alcohol......and we will split the bill......we are going to pay for our own welcome party. Great.

"because I don't drink/party, I don't have many friends."

It's what most college kids want to do everyday.

If you end up in a party college, that's what happens whether you like it or not.

The thing is, I'm starting to feel that I'm "not normal".

My father was a lot like me (doesn't party) but my mom really lived it up in college and she says that it's "normal" to want to go out, and I should do it once in a while.

Even a professor here was weirded out when I made an appt to meet with him on Friday, when the "festivities" start. he was like "Aren't you going to it?" and I said "No" and he didn't really know how to take that.

I was thinking by now people could learn to respect other people's choices. I'm just disappointed, that's all.

Water off a duck's back...

You're in school to learn, and if you can only find drinkers and partiers around you, do you really want them as friends anyway?

Most of the friends I have (the few I do!) aren't really drinkers/partiers...just once in a while. BUT everyone gets drunk this weekend, EVERYBODY. so even those who are considered "straight edge" are all out buying liquor.

The thing is, I'm starting to feel that I'm "not normal".

My father was a lot like me (doesn't party) but my mom really lived it up in college and she says that it's "normal" to want to go out, and I should do it once in a while.

Even a professor here was weirded out when I made an appt to meet with him on Friday, when the "festivities" start. he was like "Aren't you going to it?" and I said "No" and he didn't really know how to take that.

I was thinking by now people could learn to respect other people's choices. I'm just disappointed, that's all.

You are perfectly normal. There are lots of people who do not like to drink or party etc....my husband was one, I am one now and have been for a very long time now. It is cool to be your own person.

O M G

I'm going through the same dilemma right now!!!

My new class TA is throwing a welcome party for us, and it's at a BAR.

AND you know what? It's mandatory.

If I don't go, I probably won't be able to get to know my new classmates and end up

being a "loser" who didn't show up, so yeah I'm forced to participate.

I mean, is it so hard to understand for some people that drinking isn't everyone's favorite thing? I'm allergic to alcohol......and we will split the bill......we are going to pay for our own welcome party. Great.

"because I don't drink/party, I don't have many friends."

It's what most college kids want to do everyday.

If you end up in a party college, that's what happens whether you like it or not.

UGH! I'm so sorry that sucks! Especially that YOU have to pay for it. What a lousy thing for the TA to do.

Yeah I really couldn't drink alcohol if I wanted. People look at you like you're NUTS here if you're not into drinking.

I haven't ended up at a college party yet. Some sounded pretty good but then I was told "Oh, bonus, there's a KEG" and then I heard about them getting "busted" so I guess it's good that I didn't show up.

I'm like you and had little friends because everyone was out partying and getting wasted. I cannot tolerate alcohol and never tried it. I will not let myself get to the point where I don't know what I'm doing. Who knows what one could do when under influence. Please don't go with the flow because you have to. If you don't like it, don't do it. A lot of girls found it interesting that I don't drink because I like to be in control of myself. That was awesome!!

Yeah I'm like that too - even if I could drink, I doubt I would because I don't want to be out of control.

I bet if you want to a party and didn't drink, girls would be interested in you for sure! Many of the other guys would be smelling funny and out of control, but you wouldn't be.

I won't be going with the flow at any rate. It's just not for me.

Archived