marshmlofluff

I was curious what this means; please offer your insight. A few weeks ago I met up with a sweet guy. He was okay; the Earth didn't move but I'd see him again, and anyway if nothing else I like him as a friend.

I live in the middle of nowhere...we drove out to a state park on the left edge of nowhere, and we stopped at a rinkydink gas station in some godforsaken postage stamp of a town full of taxidermy stores and rod and gun clubs; getting out of the car, I wondered to myself if I was the first Indian-American ever to step in that place. Well out of nowhere this mangy feral cat pops out from behind the gas pump...its coat is matted and it looks like it hasn't been near a person in years, and obviously it is really skittish. Well, my date sticks out his hand and this super-skittish stray cat actually comes to him and after hesitating for a second starts purring like a steam engine and asking him for attention and petting.

I was totally surprised. I have never known a cat well, so who can tell me--what does this say about the dude? Is this some romantic story about how animals can tell a good man--or is it just that because he has a pet cat at home, he knows how to interact with them?

Hard to say, it could be a sad tale of how the man treats his pets... ut more likely, a feral cat that has received some small semblance of attention from this man who has likely taken the time to feed it and perhaps offer it some love. Maybe it will only let him have a little as he has not been able to clean it, or perhaps he doesn't want to.

Hard to say, it could be a sad tale of how the man treats his pets... ut more likely, a feral cat that has received some small semblance of attention from this man who has likely taken the time to feed it and perhaps offer it some love. Maybe it will only let him have a little as he has not been able to clean it, or perhaps he doesn't want to.

Oops...I wrote unclearly (edited to clarify). My date and I were in a gas station; neither of us had never been anywhere near the place before. A shy feral cat came up to my date looking for affection, which I thought was unusual, as in my experience most feral cats flee when they even see a stranger near.

Maybe he has experience with animals? That would be my first impression, and I'd ask.

Some animals appear feral but really are more like barn animals - sort of half wild and yet somewhat used to being around humans. The cat was near a gas station, and even though it's Nowheresville, there are still people coming and going and working there. Chances are it wasn't the first time it was approached.

Maybe he has experience with animals? That would be my first impression, and I'd ask.

Some animals appear feral but really are more like barn animals - sort of half wild and yet somewhat used to being around humans. The cat was near a gas station, and even though it's Nowheresville, there are still people coming and going and working there. Chances are it wasn't the first time it was approached.

Interesting! Yes, I noted that it seemed unusual and he said "well, I've always been an animal person." He does have a pet cat, so maybe he just knew how to put a cat at ease.

I think it's a good sign.

Being a huge cat person, though, I might be biased.

My last cat was extremely picky; she barely liked ANYONE except me and my neighbor, and she took a really long time to warm up to him. She did, however, LOVE my ex -- she would not just tolerate him -- she would come to him and rub all over his legs and want his attention. She is not like that with anyone, and she had HATED the guy I dated before him! My ex is a cat lover, too, and has cats of his own. My ex before that tolerated them, but I am pretty sure he didn't like them. He turned out to be a bit of a jerk, while my most recent ex, though we are not together, is a really great guy.

Cats "sense" things about people, I think; I have a lot of luck with cats -- even skittish ones -- because I think they sense how much I love them and how well I understand them.

I say give the guy another chance!

Archived