Pilates

Does anyone here have experience with Pilates? A studio near my house was having a special, and I got a free 45 minute private session. I loved it! It's SO expensive, though, to do the private lessons. I got an Introduction to Pilates DVD from Netflix, and I didn't like it. The movements are so precise, I couldn't tell if I was doing it correctly. So, any experienced Pilates people- do you think it's possible to learn/practice it from a DVD, or would you need the instruction to get started? My gym does have a beginner's class once a week, but it's at a time I can't attend.

You really do need an instructor for pilates; as you say, it is very precise and although the exercises look superficially like any you'd see on a workout video - they really aren't. Even with an instructor, it can take a little while to isolate exactly which muscles you should be working. How long this takes will depend on your previous experience - if you've ever done classical ballet you'll probably pick it up more quickly than otherwise.

I'd recommend pilates unreservedly to anyone; it has the rare advantage of being useful to people such as professional dancers who need really strenuous body control - yet it's also really useful for the elderly in the prevention of osteoporosis.

Archived