how can people tip $5 on a $95 check and feel good about themselves?!

Elsewhere

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sometimes they don't have an option. If they're working their way through school, waiting is really the only conceivable option with a school schedule.

You know we all have money (and other problems). Like Karvala has said I don't understand why waiters should be treated differently than any other profession. I don't understand why everyone should 'know and understand' that you guys live on tips and your wage isn't enough (why aren't you doing anything about this).

I am tipping better now because my ex worked a service-type job and I could see all the crap he had to put up with from customers.

I tend to be an easy customer. I rarely send food back (unless it is really cold or there is a bug in it, or it isn't something I ordered) and I tip 15-20% regardless of the service.

The only time I tipped very skimpily was when I went out to dinner with a group of my friends and the server DELIBERATELY skipped over me when ordering. I didn't notice it, but my friends did and brought it to her attention. Then she neglected to bring out my dish when she brought out everybody else's.

That made me mad.

Why does it matter what they purchased, and if the food is expensive? That has nothing to do with the tip that one decides to leave.

Because if they purchased one item and a drink well, then the OP didn't do much work at all, so then a 5 dollar tip becomes more acceptable. Now if they left a tip of 5 dollars and there was huge party of like 14 people then I would say 5 dollars sucks but again leaving a tip is to the discretion of the customer.

I take it you are not originally from the US. I understand your view on this, but I disagree, because part of this contract to me also entails the waiter. If you have bad service, that is another story, separate from this one.

I rarely go to a restaurant where the waiter refills my drink without me asking for it. THAT is good service. It is only then that I tip. Having said that my bf is always is with me and would never let me not tip I'm sure so in practice not tipping has never happened. But nevertheless it is how I feel. I am cheap.

I am not originally from the US but I was raised in the US and another country where tipping is probably even more of an issue. That doesn't stop me from being rational and realistic.

I am a graduate student that teaches. I wish everyone of my students would know and understand how little the graduate school pays me and they would tip me. Because I barely get by too. Doesn't everyone know how little graduate students are paid and how overworked they are?

Exactly; I'll be if you calculated your basic pay, it would probably come out to less than $3 per hour. You have to work very hard, you have to be highly skilled and trained, put up with all sorts of nonsense from your students, and yet there doesn't seem to be any sense of outrage that you don't receive large (or indeed, any) tips. Strange.

That's great. So remind me how much you tip the bank clerk, the nurse, the garbage man, your children's school teachers or college tutors, the road-sweeper, the supermarket checkout girl, the bus driver, the dentist?

Or do they not work hard at what they do?

Nurses

link removed

Dentist

link removed

Garbage collectors

link removed

Exactly; I'll be if you calculated your basic pay, it would probably come out to less than $3 per hour. You have to work very hard, you have to be highly skilled and trained, put up with all sorts of nonsense from your students, and yet there doesn't seem to be any sense of outrage that you don't receive large (or indeed, any) tips. Strange.

Not only that but I put up with harassment from the administration and with some whim of the faculty, on top of that I have to listen to why I shouldn't give a student an F despite the fact that they cheated and I know and they know that I know.

All of us have money and other problems, not just waiters. And on top of it waited usually get tipped, THEN they call us cheap!!!! Social norm.....

I rarely go to a restaurant where the waiter refills my drink without me asking for it. THAT is good service. It is only then that I tip. Having said that my bf is always is with me and would never let me not tip I'm sure so in practice not tipping has never happened. But nevertheless it is how I feel. I am cheap.

I am not originally from the US but I was raised in the US and another country where tipping is probably even more of an issue. That doesn't stop me from being rational and realistic.

I didn't realize I was not being rational or realistic.

Either way, we will have to agree to disagree.

And you were being very touchy about 'personal attacks', but now you are being less than polite. Why should you decide where anybody else eats? This is non of your business. How rude. What kind of social norm do you come from? *Wags finger*

you dont want to tip...then eat a sandwich or go to a fast food restaurant

then you wont have to tip yourself for making a sandwich

How is this any of your business? Only I decide where I eat. Stop it with the personal attacks.

im just saying you dont like to tip there is mcdonalds..or wendys...maybe bk..they have a dollar double cheeseburger..you can you al the unpaid tips you dont use and use it for the dollar menu

Elsewhere,

Based on the comments of the cheap-skates who dwell here, I will suggest this...find a really high-end restaurant to work at. People dining at those places would never humiliate themselves by leaving a five dollar tip. Many of us understand that you and other waitresses/waiters are making a living from tips, and will do their utmost to ensure that you receive your fair share.

im just saying you dont like to tip there is mcdonalds..or wendys...maybe bk..they have a dollar double cheeseburger..you can you al the unpaid tips you dont use and use it for the dollar menu

How is this for you to decide? I eat wherever I feel like, whenever I feel like. And reading things like this from waiters only pushes me to convince other people to not tip also.

By the way if my students can't afford to tip me, they should go to community college or drop out. Not everyone needs a college education.

Archived