Starting to HATE my life...

HellFrost666

I've had a little look back at a past thread of yours...

What about that liquor store job?

I've called the liquor store once a week since I put my app in. They've politely brushed me off every time. And when I put my app in it was the owner I talked to. He made it sound like after new years I could pretty much count on a phone call. And my girlfriend's brother who works there told me I was going to be called. So, I don't know what happened. I can tell by the way they are on the phone that they aren't going to hire me. I don't know why I call back every week and make myself look so desperate.

I wish I could help more than a little bit of online support. You have a special spot with me ever since you helped me through one of the worst periods in my life which brought me to this place.

I'm so sorry everything is piling up on you one on top of the other. What about your friends? Can you find some comfort there while things get figured out? And your girl, of course - you two have been with each other through a lot of thick and thin now, I can't imagine her ever leaving you over some things you can't really control.

take care.

My friends have been awesome through this whole thing... Especially my roommate. I really am fortunate to have people like them around.

There are two warehouse jobs in the newspaper today that I am applying for. I know thinking this way is bad, but I doubt either one of them will hire me. Places like that always say I am over qualified.

Ugh. I dont know why employers even bother saying stuff like that. OBVIOUSLY, the applicant did NOT think that he/she was overqualified and that's why they applied? Maybe it's a codeword for something else. What, I'll never know.

Anyways, how do you respond when you are told this?

Do you simply concede OR do you try to persuade them that this is not the case and that you'll be happy to have the job?

Also, I dont see why employers wouldnt want someone highly qualified and efficient to do the job required?

If you haven't tried to "market" yourself more aggressively (i.e. trying to persuade them when they tell you that you're OQ), would you try it?

I don't know if there's anyone I can stay with in Oslo...

Sorry for constantly bumping into your threads but I just can't resist the urge. If I annoy you feel free to PM-me.

HF, I know depression is taking a tool on you but you have to force yourself to really start thinking deeply about solutions you have.

IF you want to go back to Oslo (and I think you might score a job there sooner than in States and personally I think your mentality is better suited for your country than for the States - it's the feeling I have) than you have to start finding solutions.

My ideas:

Call your mom and tell her that you want to get back to Oslo but with your gf and ask her for the two of you (you and your gf) to stay with her. Than at the same time ask your sister the same, than ask a friend if you have any the same. Than try to find out how much money you would collect from unemployment benefits there and see if it would be enough to live for a few months until you find a job. Start googling sites from your country to search for job opportunites to see is there any chance for you and your gf to find any kind of a job. If you have to beg your stubborn family to come to their senses do that. Call them every single ..... day. Find one family member that might give up and be boring.

Also, once upon a time someone mentioned CBT. Have you tried that yet?

And I know it doesn't really help but if you're close to cutting it means your depression is really being bad. So that means you'll have to consider antidepressants. I know you don't wanna hear that at the moment but someone has to say it, and I am blunt enough to do it. All your health issues might be a result of your depression.

And damn it, Inoticed every single time you have a bad period in your life I have one in mine. Every single time. You're like a crystal ball for my life.

There are two warehouse jobs in the newspaper today that I am applying for. I know thinking this way is bad, but I doubt either one of them will hire me. Places like that always say I am over qualified.

From my experience, "over-qualified" is a polite way of saying "not qualified". After all, if you were the best warehouse guy in the whole world, and they knew it, they'd be crazy for not hiring you. These days, a lot of employers (but not all, thank goodness) desire things in an employee that are not going to be seen on the job description, and will never be mentioned during the interview, such as:

1) Overly trustworthy of management to deliver the paychecks

2) Low willpower (like origami, folds under pressure)

3) Ignorance of his or her rights, etc.

4) Willingness to make the manager look good towards his boss

Archived