Girlfriend; Pill, Coil, Inplant ...

First off I'm not sure whether to post this here or in pregnancy or in general help.

Ok mine and my girlfriends problem is which course of contraception would be best to peruse. She has spoken to the health clinc, and im afraid to say they were as much help as a chocolate teapot there answer was along the lines of "I don't know".

I will try and set the scene for you.

She had the implant for 3 years then 8 months a go it ran out and needed replacing. Up until the 8 month period it worked flawlessly. When she had it replaced her periods were erratic (i.e. Bleeds almost everyday without fail), but she was assured this would settle down after 1 month. Then one month became two, and two three, and three 4 so she went back to the place where she got it done.

They then put her on a pill that contains the same hormone as the implant, now rather than her bleeding every single day she bleeds around every 4th day!

She has since gone back again (4th time) and they suggested she uses a coil rather than the implant. To which she replied "Doesn't that reduce your fertility in later life, and usually used for women who have already had children?" They also mentioned it would also increase how heavy and often her periods are. And I'm sure you will agree after 8 months of this, that's the last thing she wants.

The only other alternative is the pill which she cant take for medical reasons. Her mother took it when she was younger and actually had a stroke at 24 due to this so has been advised not to take it herself.

She has asked whether a break from any contraceptives for 3 months to allow her hormones to level out might be beneficial before going back on the implant. They have said maybe we don't know to this, and can't seem to offer much advice at all.

I can see this is becoming very long, so please bare with me.

So I have been looking at contraceptives for myself. She is worried about/doesn't trust condoms enough to use one of those.

Then I could even have my tubes clipped but that would requires surgery and she doesn't want things to be taken to such an extreme and tbh neither do I!

Please could someone suggest where to go from here, or whether a break would probably help. This is really affecting our sex life as we now really have a choice. Just have sex then clean up after or no sex at all. Understandably she feels dirty afterwards and that kind of spoils the mood a little especially if we both have to run to the toilets and clean up then change the sheets

P.s. Thanks if you have managed to read to the end.

I was in a LTR and I tried ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING under the sun for protection because I was damn near fed up with condoms & wanted to be super safe.

I did everything from coil, implant, mini & combined pills, nuva....

In the end, I stuck to one particular brand of the combined pill. They aren't all the same. I tried maybe 3 or 4 different brands over an extended period of time and then I finally found one that really worked for me. Periods were regular, skin was amazing, sex drive was still there, my boobies got bigger

However now I'm not on anything. I much prefer being chemical free.

I was in a LTR and I tried ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING under the sun for protection because I was damn near fed up with condoms & wanted to be super safe.

In the end, I stuck to one particular brand of the combined pill. They aren't all the same. I tried maybe 3 or 4 different brands over an extended period of time and then I finally found one that really worked for me. Periods were regular, skin was amazing, sex drive was still there, my boobies got bigger

What are you taking now? I'm in a similar situation myself. Not in a relationship, but I've had horrible experiences with almost everything I've tried and I'd like to get it sorted before I get into another one.

You can PM if you don't want to say it here.

Hey thanks, I'm glad you managed to find something that worked for you. Unfortunately as I'm sure you missed (I don't blame you I would never had read a post as long as mine lol, but she has been advised to not take the pill). Her mum had a stroke caused by the pill when she was 24, and I would never suggest she try the pill for the sheer psychological effect it may have on her.

Some women just don't mesh with hormonal methods of birth control.

Condoms are extremely effective if used right.

Yeah, I have used them with every previous partner for the past 4 or 5 years and never had an issue.

I guess it does detract from the sensation a little though. Oh well beggars cant be choosers, this may be the only viable contraceptive.

Archived