Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

What motivates you to read?

coldplay.

I actually enjoy reading, if i do it. But finding the motivation to do so is a little beyond me right now. It seems that reading is pretty unstimulating though some of the best "things" ive ever done were read amazing books.

I have favorites like the metamorphosis, the plague, one day in the life of ivan denisovich, and most shakespeare.

But those were literary classics that were assigned during highschool. I dont really enjoy novels, i read the lotr when i was a kid, it was good but a little boring until the last book, even tried dune, so all you twilight and harry potter kids, no thank you...

Anyone have any suggestions, finding a list of "classics" is difficult im finding.

But on my to do list is, catcher in the rye, and some varies self help books, any suggestions?

Edit: Motivation my motivation wont be to type better either

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

one day in the life of ivan denisovich.. i forgot about this book!! it's going on my list for sure.

i really like reading bc it helps me escape into another world. helps open my eyes to things i never noticed/realized/refused to realize. i only read classics too. some novels are tolerable, but i find most of them to be trivial/not worthwhile.

as for the catcher in the rye business... have you read the perks of being a wallflower? it's not classic perse (i think?) but it's a great book. similar style.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't like reading. I feel that I have no motivation to read what so ever.

I have read books before which have captured my interest very very quickly. I finish the book very fast after wards. But when school assignments are due, I can't seem to want to get back into reading again.

I used to read way more. I actually love to read. I just need to structure my time better so I can do it more often. My husband always has his head in a book and my son is fast becoming the same. His teacher told me if she had as many students that had as big a love of reading as he does life would be easy.

• 2 months later...
I used to read right before I go to bed. Now I find that I cannot really do that. I don't really read much unless I have to study, but when I do I read something I notice that it has to be somethig that interests me.

I would forget about that idea (for myself anyway) as after the kind of days I have (every single day), I fall asleep as soon as I get into bed. Instead, I tend to read on saturday and sunday mornings (anytime after 8am) with my cup of coffee. I can really appreciate it at that time as I've got enough energy after having some sleep.

I get motivated to read because I have discovered that I find it far more immersive (yet more hard work) than watching movies.

My motivation is to gain more knowledge, have more to talk about, stand well in agruments. Knowledge is power. Also feeds my curiocity about this world or motivates me a lot (when I read biographies for example). I usually read before going to bed but truth is I've read so little the past year.

but truth is I've read so little the past year.

I tend to read 100 pages a week which I'm more than happy with, due to how busy my life is with other things at the moment. That's a constant 100 pages per week though so it does tend to run like clockwork. Well, it's enough to get through 1.5 average sized novels a month.

I read for entertainment. For pleasure. I find it much more captivating than a movie.

Plus I love the feeling after finishing a book that leaves me going WOW. I am always on the hunt for a book that inspires me, touches me, makes me think, takes me out of my comfort zone, opens my eyes, opens my mind, makes me laugh, makes me cry.

I get alot out of reading, and its something that only comes from reading. Almost like a comfort. A secret world that I can escape to that is all mine.

I also like sharing what I've read. I've created some neat bonds with people strictly because of books. Being able to talk about them, share your thoughts, recommend...thats a bonus aspect that gets me going.

Archived