getting ready to start the "candida diet"

You should check out Magic (Miracle) Berries if you haven't yet. Now they are starting to appear in health food stores, and you can order them fresh online.

Rather than explain in detail, just google it. lol. For 20-30 min. approx. after you eat the berry, it switches your perception so that sour + bitter foods taste sweet.

I love sweets. If you can't tell. You might also want to check out some vegan recipes if you are a sweet lover. Yes, you have to wade through some crap, but some of it is very tasty. Like date + ground almond + zucchini balls. Yum.

Are you going to be able to drink soy milk at least? I hope you feel better after all this.

Miracle fruit, ( Synsepalum dulcificum ) really does work, only problem only fresh fruit will have the effect, after just 2-3 hours after picking they lose most of their "magical" powers.

I have 2 plants potted in my back yard, they grow very very slowly, a 12 year old "tree" i saw recently was only about 6ft high.

for those who are not familiar, Miracle Fruit is a small berry, smaller than a grape, you eat them, suck on the seed, they taste pretty good.

and what they do is numb the "sour" receptors in you mouth, so everything you eat or drink taste sweet.

I experimented with them, I ate a hand full, then went and ate a whole lime. you could still taste the citrus acid, but it was like sweetened lemonade.

from what I have read, there is a product that has the poly phenol "meraculin", and there are freeze dried products, I cannot give you advice on those and whether or not they are effective, all I know is that freshly picked fruit loses its activity over time.

Yacón syrup I mentioned in a previous post is similar to Agave Nectar, a low glycemic, Yacón is even lower glycemic, and can be used like honey, to make low calorie smoothies, and ice cream.

here is a link to Aniphyo video recipe for Lucuma and Yacon ice cream., "Raw food kitchen"

Gilgamesh, you have some in your back yard! That is so cool! It's way too cold where I am at to even try it. Would they flourish in a greenhouse?

I too look forward to more of your posts on health foods and the like. Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Miracle fruit.

I live in the tropics, so I just put mine in a pot, I should get fruit in a year or two. ( plants can produce fruit after 2-4 years from seed )

According to posts from people living up north they can grow well in pots

If you look online you will find nurseries that sell plants already grown, so you wouldn't have to wait too long for fruit.

good luck

BTW the picture below is not my plant, mine is still about 1/3 this size.

image removed

• 1 year later...

I know it's been a while now since you posted, but I have just been diagnosed am and wondering how you got on? I have the added difficulty that I am vegi and I love sweet stuff. So far it's been tough, have weened self off bread, miss alcohol but when the goodies come out on birthday etc it's really tough to stay strong. Unike you I do need to loose weight too, so in theory the two should go hand in hand, so once i get the hang of it hopefully I am expecting great things. But what a life hey? dining out is almost impossible.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Beth, I know you posted almost a month ago but I haven't been on in awhile, sooooo I'm just now responding in case you tune in. I ended up doing the diet for a month and a half (if I remember correctly) and it was the most miserable time of my entire life. I followed it very strictly, too. I was constantly weak, I had random days of vomiting and never-ending nausea, and I lost weight to an unhealthy extent. To top it all off, I don't feel I benefited from it at all. Even though it's nearly two years later, I still get a little paranoid eating too much sugar in one day because I'd read that you have to "ease" back into a normal diet after you do the candida diet. I did ease back into it, but what's scary is that I still find myself worried I'm going overboard if I, say, have a big dessert when I go out to eat.

Bottom line is, I really do NOT recommend this kind of diet to anyone. If you must give it a shot, definitely do not do it without the aid of a dietitian.

So, that's my two cents. I simply make sure I eat healthy--high fiber, whole grains, lots of fruit and veggies--and that's what has worked best for me.

You poor thing.

I think your motivation is knowing what will happen if you fall off the diet. I would think that would be the best motivation of all. I mean, it's not like sneaking a cigarette, which won't show effects immediately like cheating on the diet will.

Also realize the strict diet won't be long-term.

I'd write a letter to yourself to be read when you're feeling weak. Detail how horrible you feel when you need to treated. Be really harsh and blunt. Then, if you're tempted to cheat, read the letter.

Do you have an immune disorder?

Candida, is usually caused by an imbalance in the intestinal bacteria.

Quick correction. VAGINAL tract. Candidiasis is usually caused by an imbalance in the vaginal tract, not the intestinal tract, in women (unless we're talking about a newborn or baby with thrush, in which case, oral cavity).

Archived