Corny lines. Opinions

G3LesPaul

I have a ton of corny/cheesy jokes and lines I could say to a girl when I first meet her.

Example: A girl at the information desk at college.

Me: "Excuse, me Im lost and I need directions"

Her: "Sure, to where?"

Me: "To your heart!"

Now I love these things and I dont use them to be serious. I would laugh after. But what are your opinions on these?

How do you show the girl your just using them to be funny?

If a guy sincerely thinks those lines will work on me then I'd laugh in his face. But if he said one and then started laughing and said something like "ha, that was awful, let me just introduce myself instead", I'd be open to talking to him.

if he said one and then started laughing and said something like "ha, that was awful, let me just introduce myself instead", I'd be open to talking to him.

This is a good idea!!

if it isn't planned and scrpted then yes maybe

otherwise, just think about what would work on you, honestly, the female brain is on par with the male brain, what you find corny is usually what a girl would find corny

I have a ton of corny/cheesy jokes and lines I could say to a girl when I first meet her.

Example: A girl at the information desk at college.

Me: "Excuse, me Im lost and I need directions"

Her: "Sure, to where?"

Me: "To your heart!"

Now I love these things and I dont use them to be serious. I would laugh after. But what are your opinions on these?

How do you show the girl your just using them to be funny?

That's stuff guys used to get away with in the 70s and 80s.

Guy: My name is Captain Jean Luc Picard of the USS Enterprise. Report to my transporter room for the best beaming of your life.

Girl: Uh... you're crazy.

Guy: If Starfleet trusts me, shouldn't you?

Girl: No... I think you should go back to Starfleet before I call the police.

Guy: Are you sure you don't want to see the Captain's Log?

Girl: OK, I'm dialing now...

Guy: Ha. I can beam out of here anytime. Then won't you feel stupid?

Girl: I'll chance it.

Guy: Picard to Enterprise. One to beam up. Diplomatic relations on this world have failed.

NO! Don't use them on her. That is extremely corny and overbearing. It seems like you are trying too hard. If someone said that to me, I'd smile politely (i'm not mean), avoid eye-contact and try to talk to someone else around me. I'd probably think you were creepy and just liked to hear yourself make dumb jokes. Not to be mean.

Maybe once you were established, you could say corny things and by then, she'd think they were cute.

No, the best bet is to be sincere, confident, and friendly. No corny lines! Also, no "Hey baby."

This one would make me laugh, InBruges (in fact I did LOL). I have a soft spot for sci fi geeks. But the "directions to your heart" one is just too corny.

Guy: My name is Captain Jean Luc Picard of the USS Enterprise. Report to my transporter room for the best beaming of your life.

Guy: Picard to Enterprise. One to beam up. Diplomatic relations on this world have failed.

NO! Don't use them on her. That is extremely corny and overbearing. It seems like you are trying too hard. If someone said that to me, I'd smile politely (i'm not mean), avoid eye-contact and try to talk to someone else around me. I'd probably think you were creepy and just liked to hear yourself make dumb jokes. Not to be mean.

Maybe once you were established, you could say corny things and by then, she'd think they were cute.

No, the best bet is to be sincere, confident, and friendly. No corny lines! Also, no "Hey baby."

Even if you knew he was joking?

If he was really obvious about the joking, it would be OK, but sometimes it's hard to tell if a guy is joking. I knew one guy in particular who used to go up to girls and ask (with a straight face) "Fine day. Do you like Phil Collins?" It was actually hillarious and later I learned he was just trying to be funny, but to the girls he used that line on (including me), it came off as kind of eccentric.

I think it's better to just be cautious. It depends though. I can see how it would be cute and funny, but ONLY if you were SUPER obvious that you were being funny.

If he was really obvious about the joking, it would be OK, but sometimes it's hard to tell if a guy is joking. I knew one guy in particular who used to go up to girls and ask (with a straight face) "Fine day. Do you like Phil Collins?" It was actually hillarious and later I learned he was just trying to be funny, but to the girls he used that line on (including me), it came off as kind of eccentric.

I think it's better to just be cautious. It depends though. I can see how it would be cute and funny, but ONLY if you were SUPER obvious that you were being funny.

Well I use them to joke around. Most guys that use them are joking anyway. I love them cause they are so cheesy you have to laugh and it seems like if you can get a girl to like those jokes, she will be interested in you

OMG I laughed so hard at Phil Collins. But I could see how no one would get it. If a girl got that line was funny I'd marry her immediately.

Not sure how many girls you can charm with that line, but it is hilarious. Original, yet self-depricating. Comedy gold? Yes. Dating gold? Doesn't really translate so well in the real world, too intellectual.

Well, a girl can have a good sense of humor and still be put off by starting to know someone with lines like these (even as a joke).

It's an awkward position to be in, not knowing a person, and being expected to decipher whether they are serious or joking or even having a joke at your expense. Know what I mean?

Thumbs down. Thumbs way down.

This is so winsome, that I'd date a guy in a second for this kind of joking -- but isn't it sad that in this context (writing, spelling it out on here) it works, but how would you get it to work in real life exactly like this?

I knew one guy in particular who used to go up to girls and ask (with a straight face) "Fine day. Do you like Phil Collins?"

Ditto for this. Yeah, it's a bit eccentric, but it's highly original and random. And that works for me, as sense of humor goes.

OP, I have to agree with others here, except that a few of them have said that if you made it very obvious you were aware it was a bad joke, it would have a chance. For me, this particular kind of being funny just falls flat, no matter how you dress it. Even if you made a point of letting me know you knew it was over-the-top, why would I find an over-the-top remark cute or funny just because it's over the top? Being extreme doesn't qualify it necessarily as humorous. Corny = yuck. There's no way of getting around that and yum it up. I don't laugh because a guy is being deliberately excessive with some predictably bad thing. That's just not funny to me. It just makes a girl think of a pick up artist who has lost his edge. I think it's the flattery angle that turns me off the most.

If you're going to tell a bad joke to make me laugh, err on the side of self-knowingly self-deprecating or self-knowingly goofy.

Archived