In love with a Muslim man..

Janne

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Janne,

I was too in a similar position as you. I am Latin-Catholic and my ex-boyfriend was a Middle-Eastern Muslim. I was with my boyfriend for 2 1/2 years and we knew each other for about 6. When I first started dating him seriously I told him how strongly I felt about having a Catholic wedding and my children celebrate my religions holidays-he gave me assurance we could do this as long as our kids would be raised Muslim.

A year passed and knowing eachother so long we felt we were ready to get married, problem is... he changed his mind. Now, he couldnt have the wedding but would respect the relgious holidays-time passed and he became a bit more open minded. Now, 2 1/2 years later he had agreed to a blessing from my church but won't tell his family. I'm soo heart broken because to this day I still don't even know his entire family (I've only met his sister). I honestly don't know how I could make all these compromises without even knowing his family. I love him soo much and he is very caring, loving and very ambitious but also very possesive and hot-tempered. We had been arguing non stop for the last 4 mths about our future when I didn't even know his family.

My decision was to break up 2 mths ago because I felt he was putting me second. The fact that he had not introduced me to his family after all this time shows he's very set on his ways and he will not change. My family liked him very much because he was very caring and hard working but they felt it was an insult for him not to introduce me to his family.

Til this day I hope he will become more openminded and god will bring us together but I can only hope and not stop my life entirely because of him. I wish I would've been smarter to research his religion and culture sooner.

I think you should sincerely evaluate your beliefs and his beliefs as a whole, religion, traditions,etc,...I suggest discuss most important details with him now before you fall in love even harder. I hope this helps and Good Luck!

This thread has very important lessons in it. I picked up for myself, if i like very much a muslim man in the future, ill be smart like hopeful_1 suggests and tell them i will be their gf whatever the day after i meet their mum, their family. sounds business like, but they DO turn business like if things go deeper and marriage comes into question. DOnt htink any serious muslim man would take offense on that. it will show he has willingness to make it work, not only in hiding. fine, i understaqnd, u cant shock ur religious folks with introducing them every flower unde rthe sun, but he can display at least a very progressive atitude, to do practical steps little by little. and at hte end of the day, mulsim men who really want to end up withaq girl of another religion would be very progressive intheir aqttitudes to their families anyway, and prove their new ladies that they mean business, like they say.

done.

Archived