Is he being Selfish?

v123

Hi everyone,

My birthdays coming up and my boyfriend and i rarely go out with my friends or his friends, it is always just us two. For my birthday i was planning to go out clubbing with my friends and my boyfriend was cool with the plans too. I obviously want him to be there too. However, he recently changed his mind and said how he doesnt want to come to my birthday because he doesnt want to meet new people or meet my friends. He also doesnt want to take pictures with me. It makes me feel really insecure. And i never ask him to come out with my friends, but i thought my birthday he could make an exception.

Am i being selfish, because i want him to put his feelings to the side and come out for my birthday and celebrate.

Or is he being selfish because he doesnt want to think about how hurt i am with his decision not to come celebrate.

IMO, he's the one being selfish. My boyfriend has never had a problem going to social gatherings with me (especially ones centered around me), even if he'd rather do something else or he doesn't feel like going out. But that's also because I've done the same for him in the past. If I were in your shoes I'd be upset as well.

Wow, I'd be put off.

Has he ever met your friends?

To me, I'd have a problem with it, majorly.

Friends are a part of life, a part of YOUR life, and since he's part of yours, he should make the effort to atleast spend YOUR BIRTHDAY with you, and your friends. Its one night.

At this point, I'd say forget it.

I'd be going out with my friends, and having a good time and forgetting about him.

He's the one being very selfish, and very unreasonable.

so im not being out of line by being very upset..i've been crying and feeling sad..when i talk to him it feels as though im the one thats wrong

No. I'd especially be bothered that he didn't want to meet my friends. His refusal to do so is making it so that he's not FULLY a part of your life, which isn't good for the growth of your relationship.

I agree, his going now would be forced instead of genuine, and therefore wouldn't mean anything to you. But you need to talk with him so he at least understands in the future that his presence at things like this are a big deal to you.

he talks to my bestfriend online all the time and even on the phone couple times and they get along fine..also i did ask my boyfriend why he was okay with the plan originally and then he changed his mind so soon to the date, he said that he was going to call me the day of my birthday and say something happened...which really made me upset tht he was going to ditch last minute

Does he have self image issues? That's one of the few reasons I can think of for his behavior aside from him just being very closed minded/selfish.

If he doesn't have self image issues, how is he in other parts of the relationship? Is he giving?

I also think slowly you guys should begin inviting friends to hang out or do things since it's very easy to get stuck in a rut and just be in your own worlds (happens to me and my bf sometimes).

maybe he is..but he has no reason to be it just feels like he is being stubborn

Yea I think so too. If that is the case, I hate to say it but.. I think it's just plain unhealthy when one person in the relationship does not seem to care about their partners need. It spells Doom to me. Or unhappiness.

update on the situation: he has called me and says he wants to come and he apologized for all the drama he caused and was sincere, and i was still a lil upset and i asked him if he is going to take pictures with me and he hung up the phone and got mad at me because i asked him to do something he does not like doing...:s

update on the situation: he has called me and says he wants to come and he apologized for all the drama he caused and was sincere, and i was still a lil upset and i asked him if he is going to take pictures with me and he hung up the phone and got mad at me because i asked him to do something he does not like doing...:s

Wow, a little bipolar?

He's completely immature and throwing a temper tantrum. Run for your life!

update on the situation: he has called me and says he wants to come and he apologized for all the drama he caused and was sincere, and i was still a lil upset and i asked him if he is going to take pictures with me and he hung up the phone and got mad at me because i asked him to do something he does not like doing...

I'm confused; when you say take pictures with you, what exactly do you mean? That he'll be taking pictures of you and your friends while you're all out clubbing? If so, what does he say is his problem with that?

Archived