He's texting too much.

ulgirl

OK, I'm all for texting, but I don't see it as a replacement for msn or yahoo chat. This guy I met on a dating site about a week ago is texting way too much. He has been trying to engage me in text conversation for 8 hours straight. My normal texting habits are to send a few responses and just let it stop it a natural point, then pick back up later if there is something else worth mentioning. With him, the conversation comes to what I see as a natural stopping point, then he starts sending additional texts to keep it going. Sure, it's just making conversation, but when I hardly know someone I need some breathing room sometimes. If I tell him I'm busy he tells me to text him when I am not busy. I usually don't text my closest friends all day long. When I have long conversations with my close friends we get on msn or talk on the phone, and then we can say a lot more in a shorter time than texting back and forth all day while I'm trying to buy groceries, read, talk to family etc. I don't mean to sound rude, it's just that I have bad experiences in the past where one guy got very angry because I didn't text him new things every two hours, and another guy stopped contacting me after three months because he said I was cold and didn't contact him enough, even though he was texting me several times a day even when he knew I was in class or studying at the time. I'd be more inclined to text them when I'm not busy if I didn't think they'd expect to be in contact for hours after that, I just don't have the time for long drawn out texting.

I do like the convenience of texting, but I'm afraid this will get out of control with this guy. He seems interesting, I'd just like him to back off with the texting all day. Long conversations are what the internet is for when I'm ready to sign on in my opinion.

Just be upfront and honest with him - tell him straight that you're not really into texting, so if he's expecting replies from you all the time, it won't happen. Sometimes one has to be brutally honest to get people to listen. If he backs off or disappears forever, then so be it.

I had a similar problem. I'll tell you how I got the texts to die down...

The guy sent me texts non-stop from the moment I gave him my number. I mean, I didn't even have time to reply to one before I got another! And if I didn't reply within 5 minutes, he would send me another asking why I was "ignoring" him.

So...I finally decided to reply. Each and every time he sent me a text, I would reply immediately. And then I would send another one right after that one, just as he did to me.

Yes...I know, childish games. However, he stopped texting as much. After I kept that up for about three days. So I guess it worked a bit, haha.

Just tell him you like talking to him, but you don't like texting that much. If he doesn't like that then it's his problem. Maybe he's scared that if he stops texting then you will think that he doesn't like you. You'll be like "this guy used to text all the time, but now he doesn't text me much. Doesn't he like me anymore?"

a friend had this problem once. She told the guy that she's just gone on a prepaid credit on her phone so she only has like $40 credit which she needs to last a month as that is all she can afford, so she has to be careful with the texting as much... i think it worked for a while but not sure how it all worked out in the end lol.

ive noticed that if your into the guy, (probably hard to tell at this point!) you dont care that much if he texts you a lot. if your on the fence he can push u over if he does too much.

Its hard to judge - ive met guys who text alot and want to be text a lot back too - where as some others dont want to get a lot of texts as for some reason they view it as 'clingy'....

Just be upfront and honest with him - tell him straight that you're not really into texting, so if he's expecting replies from you all the time, it won't happen. Sometimes one has to be brutally honest to get people to listen. If he backs off or disappears forever, then so be it.

Plain and simple. If u cant get past this small, silly complain/problem, how are you going to get past any other obstacles with this guy?

Archived