Anyone with low iron? any advice?

I was just diagnosed with having low iron following a blood test.

I don't like to eat red meat. I have been really tired latelly, and maybe it's cause of the low iron... would eating some read meat or about 100gr of liver a week help me? - how to prepare and cook it, so that it's tasty? how long to feel better, if anyone noticed an improvement in their overall energy level?

I know foods like tofu contain a lot of iron, but the non meat sources are not absorbed well by the body.

I don't really wanna take supplements, as iron pills make you constipated (?0 and their is one kind from Sallus (Floradix or Floravital) but it's really expensive.

thanks for your help

There are plenty of foods other than red meat that are good sources of iron:

link removed

Foods that are a good source of iron include:

• liver
  • lean red meats, including beef, pork, lamb
  • seafood, such as oysters, clams, tuna, salmon, and shrimp, etc.
  • beans, including kidney, lima, navy, black, pinto, soy beans, and lentils
  • iron fortified whole grains, including cereals, breads, rice, and pasta
  • greens, including collard greens, kale, mustard greens, spinach, and turnip greens
  • tofu
  • link removed, including broccoli, swiss chard, asparagus, parsley, watercress, brussel sprouts
  • chicken and turkey

Just take Iron pills.

It doesn't matter if you dont like red meat, because I honestly rarely eat it too.

If you take an iron pill daily, you'll be fine. Sometimes I forget. But last time I went to the doctor, my iron was fine and I'm anemic. It's because of the iron pills.

And if you're worried about iron pills, mine dont make me constipated.

Infact, everything I eat seems to go right through me. I have a bowel movement atleast 3 times a day, upto 10

Rose maybe that is why you are anemic (were). It could be a malabsorbtion problem from Celiac disease or something (gluten intolerance).

Rose maybe that is why you are anemic (were). It could be a malabsorbtion problem from Celiac disease or something (gluten intolerance).

I was just thinking that too. Since you've been bleeding a lot, I would look into whether you might have something more serious, like chron's or ulcerative colitis.

I was just thinking that too. Since you've been bleeding a lot, I would look into whether you might have something more serious, like chron's or ulcerative colitis.

Entirely possible...because I have IBS and I do not have any bleeding.

Anyway to the OP

try the veggies and stuff in I think it is Bella's post. Try the stew idea.

Actually Dragon Lady, you just read my mind.

Whenever I do symptom checker online, (type in all of my symptoms)

The first 2 things that ALWAYS come up on what it could be are:

1) Chrons Diseas

2) that ulcerative thing you said.

But i am going to the doctor tomorrow, so hopefully I will get some answers. They will prob have to do an endoscopy. Because normal blood work wont say anything.

Yes, those cambel select soups are really good and healthy.

They're easy to pack in lunches, and they don't have msg like normal soups in packages.

Another thing I like are the healthy choice/chunky kinds, I like the steak and potato and gumbo flavor.

Actually Dragon Lady, you just read my mind.

Whenever I do symptom checker online, (type in all of my symptoms)

The first 2 things that ALWAYS come up on what it could be are:

1) Chrons Diseas

2) that ulcerative thing you said.

But i am going to the doctor tomorrow, so hopefully I will get some answers. They will prob have to do an endoscopy. Because normal blood work wont say anything.

Good luck Rose. I hope you can get to the root of your problems. That does not sound pleasant at all.

thanks Rose.

You could also ask for a biopsy to check for Celiac disease. there are also blood tests to check for gluten intolerance. the 2 are related, only it's Celiac only when the intestine is damaged. It's a serious illness, that can seem benign at first (digestive upsets) but in the long run the villi in the intestines are destryed, which means malabsorbtion and ultimatelly such things as cancer.

Ugh I really hope I don't have celiac.

Chrons isn't good either, but atleast that is more managable.

If I had celiac, wouldn't I have to totaly change my diet and only have gluten free stuff?

I DO NOT want to do that. I enjoy my food!

Ugh I really hope I don't have celiac.

Chrons isn't good either, but atleast that is more managable.

If I had celiac, wouldn't I have to totaly change my diet and only have gluten free stuff?

I DO NOT want to do that. I enjoy my food!

Trust me. You do not want chron's. It is far worse than celiac. All you have to do with celiac is to stay away from gluten and you will be fine. With chron's you get nasty flare ups and often need to be put on prednisone. I have someone in my family with each of these. Hopefully you have neither.

When is your doctor's appointment?

Archived