Brother getting Huge chest tattoo

Pappers

My brother has an appointment for an entire chest tattoo this Monday. I am anxious about this decision and do not approve.

He currently has one other tattoo on his forearm which is also large; it extends from his elbow to the wrist.

He is a grown man of 24 and can make his own decisions, however I don't think he has really thought of the implications this tattoo will have.

Has anyone experienced something similar? I don't think anything I say will change his mind, but I want to make sure he has at least truly OBJECTIVELY considered the pros and cons.

The only reasons he's provided for getting it done is that "it will look cool" and "it's something I want to do". I think that is immature.

Be glad its not on his face, lol the chest he can cover up - if he goes on a job interview, family related events etc....

He might regret it one day when he's old & wrinkly, but by then maybe they will have more advanced tattoo removal processes?

I cant think of any other reason to get a tattoo other then "I want one" either...

He might regret it one day when he's old & wrinkly,

by then a good 90% of the retirement villiage will have wrinkled faded tattoos as well though, i dont think we will look at eachother in disbelief when we see a skull tattooed on Miss Daisey's wrist while we slowly fumble through the cafeteria trying to get the good spot by the window. Because everyone already knows about the wolf on your arm that looks like a dolphin now.

by then a good 90% of the retirement villiage will have wrinkled faded tattoos as well though, i dont think we will look at eachother in disbelief when we see a skull tattooed on Miss Daisey's wrist while we slowly fumble through the cafeteria trying to get the good spot by the window. Because everyone already knows about the wolf on your arm that looks like a dolphin now.

lol...this is true.

its really not your place to care.

what is he getting?

I disagree. He's your younger brother. Of course you care and want the best for him. However, like the other posters have said, you probably can't change his mind. Just voice your concerns. If he still wants to go ahead with it, so be it. He may regret it, or he may not, but that'll be for him to deal with.

I disagree. He's your younger brother. Of course you care and want the best for him. However, like the other posters have said, you probably can't change his mind. Just voice your concerns. If he still wants to go ahead with it, so be it. He may regret it, or he may not, but that'll be for him to deal with.

This is kind of where I'm coming from... I couldn't really care less if a friend got a tattoo, but this is my younger brother. I know it is his decision, but I just really hope he thinks it through rather than doing something on a whim.

He told me the tattoo idea; a giant sword from the collarbone to the belly, with all sorts of things on either side, including ghouls.

It seems low class.... I know this will probably anger some people, but I can't help but think this lowers him down the chain in some way. But, it is his body. Still, it reflects not only on him but the whole family.

I am also anxious about the pain he will go through. The chest is a very sensitive part of the body (esp stomach) and I can't bear the thought of him sitting through 10 hours of tattooing!! I can't stand torture scenes in movies or horror flicks... so this, knowing it is real, is even worse! hehe maybe I'm just a flake when it comes to pain. But still.... I really really hope he will be ok.

Maybe he thinks his tattoo is a great piece of art he created... his vision... at least see his side of it. also,he can do his tattoo in different sessions..... you see, tattoo pain to certain people is like an adrenalin rush... a good pain. i look at it as exciting and a release... maybe he does too. hes a big boy... although your concerned, dont be.... im sure after its all done, it will be worth it all.... you may even like it....

Well, I have a tat myself that I am happy with yet still tried to convince my "little" brother not to get one when he proposed the idea.

Basically, he said "Buzzkill" and that was the end of that conversation. But he didn't get it.

Since your brother has already gotten one, he has an idea what he is in for. At this point, if and when you want his ears to be open to you for something truly important - my suggestion would be to just go with the flow and bite your lip now.

Hey, not saying it is always easy. But if they start to hear Big Sister poo-pooing on their ideas - especially as adults - sooner or later they just tune it out like when they were kids, or worse, try to push your buttons with it. lol.

Little Brothers who are grown ups really respond well when you treat them like a man. I think it is a real soft spot honestly; most want a relationship with their sisters, but they don't want to be locked in the kiddie dynamics of Little Bro and Big Sis. Long term stuff, y'know? This is a blip.

A lot of guys in my class have tattoos. And they alot of them. This one guy in my class has so many different ones on his arms that he could be the tattoo sample wall.

One of my friends from work got one of his chest. A small one of the virgin mary. It looks good, like the guy who did it did a very good job duplicating the image. It was bleeding a bit afterwards, I mean days later and was hurting and it was like he has a bit a rash on it. But within a week of having it, it was all better.

Archived