Mom found out her coworker is a Level III Sex Offender...

notsoanonymous

I would contact the State Attorney General's office, and ask what the protocol is for an employee who works among a "Level 3 sex offender."

This sounds like your best bet...get some professional legal advice!

I do agree that your mom has a valid concern. If this guy is acting like that, he obviously hasn't learned any lessons from his prior conviction and I would not be surprised at all if he reoffends.

Yes, people deserve a second chance but not to be a pig. Harrasement is NOT OK, in ANY work place.

I used to think like that but then I went and grew up a little bit and understood that there are certain things in the world that just are the way they are. Anyone who works in hospitality industry and complains about 'doggy style' comment shouldn't be there. Bottom line.

While you should not have tolerate that in any workplace.The reality is that you do. I could get technical and go on about legal abuses that happen to low end workers all day. I agree it is wrong and should not happen, but it does. Best you can do is align yourself with a job that will be best for you.

I offer my support and sympathy to the OP though, which is sometimes hard to do when making the above point.

I used to think like that but then I went and grew up a little bit and understood that there are certain things in the world that just are the way they are. Anyone who works in hospitality industry and complains about 'doggy style' comment shouldn't be there. Bottom line.

While you should not have tolerate that in any workplace.The reality is that you do. I could get technical and go on about legal abuses that happen to low end workers all day. I agree it is wrong and should not happen, but it does. Best you can do is align yourself with a job that will be best for you.

I offer my support and sympathy to the OP though, which is sometimes hard to do when making the above point.

So we should just have to put up with pervy guys and their harassing comments? Awesome.

But then you say I should put up with crap from my manager because I have a professional job and should just feel lucky to have that job.

So, pretty much anyone with a sucky work environment should just shutup and deal? If it's non-professional, then they deserve it for not getting a degree, and if it's professional, then they should just be thankful for a decent job?

You're an interesting character, CP, I've got to admit..

A child molester never deserves a second chance. And any man that makes a doggy style comment is the scum of the earth, and no one, white collar or blue collar should take that. Captain Planet, you have outdone yourself, man.

100% agreed, lady!

But then you say I should put up with crap from my manager because I have a professional job and should just feel lucky to have that job.

So, pretty much anyone with a sucky work environment should just shutup and deal? If it's non-professional, then they deserve it for not getting a degree, and if it's professional, then they should just be thankful for a decent job?

You're an interesting character, CP, I've got to admit..

Not really. You should suck it up because you have a lot to gain. In a non career job you don't have ANYTHING to gain. In five years you will still be in the same position. Or managing that same position but nothing really changes.

Secondly I have come to this forum for support regarding abusive customers even to the extent that I have been assaulted. Basically I have been told that it is a customers right to do whatever he or she would like to me.

Which makes me think that is the way people in customer facing sorts of jobs are seen as expendable. I extrapolate that point of view to the hospitality industry. I was once outraged by such things, but not anymore. I did say that I do not think it is right that people are abused at work, but that it is how people want things to be. That is the world we must live in.

I don't make the rules. I follow them. With all of that information in mind. I think the best course of action is to tolerate whatever is happening. Because I do not think many people will be overly concerned that a waitress heard a crude comment. I know I am not.

edit: abuse and assault to customer facing people is a prime issue in my mind. They are the most vulnerable and thereforee deserving of protection more so under law. However, no one cares. As the law is designed to reflect the views of society. I don't like it either. But what can you do ? A fight you won't win because you are servicing others. It is in their direct interest for you to suffer. A separate issue and partly responsible for the low wages and conditions of customer facing people.

In that regard as I say better for the OP so tolerate or find another job. Retail is big on sexual harassment. So are Call centers. Need protection you can work there.

Again, it really isn't me, its my mom who is in her 50's and stayed home to raise me, hence she doesn't have any option t be in another industry. So it's pretty funny to over and over again be told I should "put up with it."

Second, here is what I found out today. This is the guys rap sheet.

In 1993, Subject was convicted of Sex Abuse 1st Degree and Sodomy 1st

Degree in Linn County Oregon. Subject had sexually abused an 8 year old

female

relative on at least two separate occasions. After the abuse, Subject

threatened the victim and told her that if she told anyone about the abuse

that

he would hurt and kill her. In 1994, subject was convicted of another count

of

Sex Abuse 1st Degree. In that case, subject sexually abused a 9 year old

female family relative. He isolated the victim and told her that he wanted

to “fool around with her”. Subject sexually fondled the victim and then told

her not to tell anyone about what happened. In 1978 Subject was convicted of

Rape 3rd Degree. Subject was having consensual sex with a 12 year old female

who was living in the same household with Subject at the time. The victim

became pregnant and it was discovered that Subject was the father of the

baby.

There were also indications that Subject was having intercourse with the

victim’s sister, but no criminal charges were filed in that case. Subject's

criminal history includes a 1982 Possession of a Controlled Substance; a 1983

Criminal Mischief 2nd Degree; a 1991 Domestic Abuse; and several driving

related offenses.

It does not appear the Subject participated in any Sex Offender Treatment

Program in the past. Subject is currently under community supervision by the

Washington State Department of Corrections.

Due to Subject’s sexual criminal history, he has been classified as a LEVEL 3

Sex Offender. This allows the County Sheriff’s Department to disclose

relevant, necessary, and accurate information to the public at large.

The Sheriff´s Department does not have the authority to allow or disallow an

offender to live at any address. If the offender is on active supervision by

the Department of Corrections, they may have residence restrictions or

stipulations regarding living near a school, which would be enforced by the

Department of Corrections. If an offender has completed community supervision,

they would not have such restrictions.

Need I say more, CP, know it all of all things?

I believe this is in NO way an overreaction!

I absolutely agree, this guy sounds like a serious predator and it is insane that your mom's workplace WANTS him there.

Here's another idea: Is there a local newspaper in town? Maybe you could drop them an "anonymous" tip about who this guy is and the fact that this restaurant thinks it's appropriate for him to work there? If the community at large knows about this, that would put pressure on the boss to get rid of that guy.

(Of course, even the guy stops working there, your mom should be careful just because she lives in the same community as this kind of creep).

To be honest I do not want to know what the man did because it changes nothing. Sex offenders are sick people and they need help.Once they've done their time they deserve a chance. l don't think ruining this mans life further by costing him is job because of a silly comment is the right thing to do. He has a right to keep a job just like anyone else. He said 'doggy style' big deal, it is just a sexual position. You've never done it that way before ? The thought offends your mother ? Maybe she should tell him that herself or find another job.

To be honest I do not want to know what the man did because it changes nothing. Sex offenders are sick people and they need help.Once they've done their time they deserve a chance. l don't think ruining this mans life further by costing him is job because of a silly comment is the right thing to do. He has a right to keep a job just like anyone else. He said 'doggy style' big deal, it is just a sexual position. You've never done it that way before ? The thought offends your mother ? Maybe she should tell him that herself or find another job.

I'm sure most girls can agree with me when I say it's easy to be made to feel sexually uncomfortable by a guy at some stage.

I think it's absolutely insane for you to be saying that the guy should get his chance and not have it cost him his job, and then in the same paragraph, you're suggesting that the woman needs to find a new job! So, what? The guy who obviously has sexual problems and has ACTED on them inappropriately in the past is allowed to disrupt someone's work environment? And the woman has to put up with it, wondering if she's safe every morning alone with him, or leave?

I'm really failing to see how that would be fair. You're talking all about fairness and it seems like you have some major double standards.

It'd be different if he hadn't done anything in the past. But if I was working somewhere with someone who had been convicted of any kind of sex crime, you can bet your money on the fact that I'd be uncomfortable too if he was making advances at me. I don't think it's unjustified for her to feel that way, and I think it's just completely absurd to suggest that SHE should be the one to leave if she doesn't like working with a sex offender.

Like I said before, the guy is entitled to work, but if he had any interest whatsoever in changing his life and making himself better...he wouldn't be making comments like that. Just tells me that he's as much a sex offender now as he was BEFORE he did his time.

Ya, I think it's silly that your boss said you shouldn't tell anyone. I'd certainly tell my friends at work. People need to know if there is a rapist around, for their own safety.

Aside from that, why should anyone care about protecting a rapist? No one was there to protect his vicitms.

It's just absolutely absurd.

I would try to get another job, and I would report this to anyone I could.

And I would file a complaint against my boss. And include in that complaint, what he said, verbatim (sp?).

There is a reason why they have sex offender websites. It's because people have the right to know when a dangerous criminal is living in their area.

These criminals have lost their right to whatever privacy they had. So I would tell everyone at work.

And if he fires you for that you can sue him for it, because it's against the law.

If he wants to give a rapist a second chance, fine, that it his business. But he's not going to do it at your mother's expense.

Maybe if he were the rape vicitm, he'd be a little more understanding. Instead of intimidating his employee into keeping quiet.

He is ruining his second chance by continuing to make uncalled for sexual remarks to other employees. That is a big nono, it's obvious he has been given a second chance and is abusing that by making these remarks.

If I was working a job and someone made a comment about doggy style to me, regardless of whether he is a sex offender or not his butt would be written up in a heartbeat. It doesn't matter if someone has done it before or not. This guy is a serious creep and these employees don't need to put up with his BS just because people like you feel he deserves chance after chance. This girls mom and others shouldn't have to leave a job just because some nasty creep wants to ruin it.

He is ruining his second chance by continuing to make uncalled for sexual remarks to other employees. That is a big nono, it's obvious he has been given a second chance and is abusing that by making these remarks.

If I was working a job and someone made a comment about doggy style to me, regardless of whether he is a sex offender or not his butt would be written up in a heartbeat. It doesn't matter if someone has done it before or not. This guy is a serious creep and these employees don't need to put up with his BS just because people like you feel he deserves chance after chance. This girls mom and others shouldn't have to leave a job just because some nasty creep wants to ruin it.

Exactly... not everyone in the restaurant business sexually harasses people, CP... Again, I've worked in them for 7-8 years now. Yes, of course it has happened and they were reported and just action was taken. But you know what, the last place I worked at, I was there for 2 years. NOT ONCE did anyone make any lude comments. There is NO excuse. And for a registered sex offender to be making these jokes says that he does NOT deserve this second chance because he has NOT learned his lesson.

Ughhh... people like this make me sick.

There is no reason your mum can't file an official complaint to her boss/the owner. If this is ignored and the owner fires her. She can bigtime sue. If she files a complaint and nothing comes of it immediately then you should go to the police.

She could also in a subtle way let the guy know that she knows all about him (although it sounds like he already knows she does, since he told her he was inside for 15 yrs)

She could let him know if he steps out of line atall she can get him put back inside in a split second.

There is no way there is noone higher up that she can go to. She does'nt have to quit, like I said if she makes the complaint officially and gets fires for it she can go to the police etc.

Also she can tell the other waitresses about it, and I reckon they would all make some sort of stand. Its not upto the boss to keep this private, the public have a right to know.

Archived