Finding it offensive...

hers

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right, unless they have some sort of ED or body dysmorphic disorder, chances are they're fishing. And it makes me want to smack them.

My mom cured me of the "fishing" habit a LONG time ago -- when I was about 12, to be exact. We were in the fitting room at a clothing store, and I was trying on an outfit, and I said "I look SO fat in this." My mom's response: "Uh, yeah, actually, you DO." I started to protest, and my mom said "See, that's what happens when you fish for compliments." Ouch. I've really avoided doing it ever since, though, so it worked!

My mom cured me of the "fishing" habit a LONG time ago -- when I was about 12, to be exact. We were in the fitting room at a clothing store, and I was trying on an outfit, and I said "I look SO fat in this." My mom's response: "Uh, yeah, actually, you DO." I started to protest, and my mom said "See, that's what happens when you fish for compliments." Ouch. I've really avoided doing it ever since, though, so it worked!

Good idea. I'm gonna start responding to certain threads that way.

Oh man, tough love right there! Not a bad thing though--lesson learned!!!

Sigh...just ate chicken nuggets.

Yeah...tonight's weight threads have me WAY depressed.

I've never had a problem with my legs but I'm sitting here looking at them and am convinced I'm developing cankles.

Awwww...Jen...DON'T get depressed, pleeeasssseeeeeeeee!

I'm telling you gals, as one of the "older" ladies on this thread (and on this forum, probably), someday, this will ALL be a distant memory. Yeah, even at my age (pushing 40) I still have some insecurities (you will NOT catch me wearing a bikini in public, for example), but I can guarantee you, one of these days, you will "grow into yourself" so to speak, and you will feel a lot more comfortable in your own skin. For me, it started to happen when I turned 30, and when I hit my mid-30's, it got TONS better. Maybe it's the wrinkles/lines, gray hairs (yeah, I have a few already) and the occasional varicose vein (yikes!) that have made me less critical of my weight -- I don't know...but it'll happen.

In the meantime, DON'T beat yourself up about your appearance. I've seen pictures of you, and you are very pretty. I wish that when I was your age I looked as good as you do -- I was a total dork back then.

Gah, I know... and you know, generally I'm okay... but starting school back up again and seeing all of these little twigs in their stilettos (don't mind the 3ft of snow on the ground) makes me want to puke.

Around 30, eh? So 8 more years to count down...hmmm..

hard not to take it that way when you're a chunker though

ugh, Jen needs a self-esteem boost. Majorly.

OK...Here's yours (repeat after me):

Jen is smart. She is kickin' ass in college right now!

Jen is witty. She keeps everyone on ENA laughing their butts off.

Jen is gorgeous. (Browneyedgirl 36 is jealous!)

Jen is very kind and helps others. She has helped a TON of people on ENA, and in "real life" as well.

I don't mind putting on a bikini in public. I refuse to wear a one-piece till my belly folds over my belt. I just feel weird walking in front of people when I'm wearing it...

I just feel weird walking in a bathing suit anyway. I almost feel like there's a different way I should walk or something. I usually wear a two-piece, but it's the "tankini" kind -- mainly because it's a pain in the butt trying to use the restroom wearing a one piece!

OK...Here's yours (repeat after me):

Jen is smart. She is kickin' ass in college right now!

Jen is witty. She keeps everyone on ENA laughing their butts off.

Jen is gorgeous. (Browneyedgirl 36 is jealous!)

Jen is very kind and helps others. She has helped a TON of people on ENA, and in "real life" as well.

hahaha, awww, thank you!!!

I know one way to get out of it...spend some time hanging out with that awesome dog of yours. Every time I see your avatar pic, I smile.

She is the best. She just took all of her toys out of her basket for no reaspn whatsoever.

Again, girls, thanks for sharing my misery tonight. lol

I'm gonna just get a can of Pam or something and spray the fat directly into my body, save the trouble, lol

hahahaa. I wish you could've seen my PM to Jenn about the tubb of butter sitting directly on my lap tonight.

Archived