What is marriage if it can end?

What about emotional abuse? Non-suppoort? And how can abuse be proven? In many cases there isn't a great deal of evidence.

Funny thing is, I purposely left that out because it is so hard to quantify. Can't any disagreement in turn be regarded as mental abuse? For example, if my wife doesn't want me to buy a new car, but I do it anyway can she not say that I did it to purposely get mad at me, thus I am messing/abusing her emotions?

Emotional abuse is very tough to quantify, and personally, I don't know how to accept emotional abuse as a cause for divorce...

I know what I am trying to say isn't coming out correctly, so I will have to think about this a tad bit longer....

Erik

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"I don't love you anymore" - another excuse.

I'm gonna have to stop reading this thread! lol

I'll never be able to get married......

I have heard that "nothing is guaranteed" so many times in my life. Thought it many times as well.

But BOO! I refuse to believe it! Marriage SHOULD be guaranteed!

Yep...it was a rough time of my life. That's for sure.

Mutley - I didn't know...... I can imagine it must have been quite difficult! Sorry Man!!

I have enjoyed reading all your thoughts and points on this ready2heal! Great ones! I can't give you rep at the moment bec I must spread around first....

Thanks. If experience is the best teacher and negative experience causes one to really wise up, then I have good reasons to be on top of this topic.

Getting married before one can keep a commitment is fraud.

What if they leave after 40 years?

As someone said, when the commitment was made it wasn't a lie, it may even have been absolutely heartfelt. However there may be a flaw in their character that they will break their commitments. Some people, to varying degrees, are unreliable. I don't believe this makes them frauds, but they may not understand themselves.

Some folks ought to use the wedding vows of Ming the Merciless:

Do you take this man/woman, to be your spouse of the hour? Do you promise to use him/her as you will? Not to blast him/her into space, until you grow weary of him/her?

Marriage is a commitment to love, support, respect, and most of all an HONOUR.

Some people think its something you do to show that you've grown up. "honey, lets get married! buy ourselves a house, have some kids" etc. These are short term plans. What about when times get tough, someone loses their job, or gets ill or a relative gets ill and they are distraught for months on end?

Maybe I take the whole thing way too seriously, I just can't contemplate doing something that I felt wasn't being honoured by both people 100%.

What if "'til death do you part" was enforced by law? I'm sure a lot of wedding vows would be watered down with that in effect!

I wonder how the law would enforce it? "If you're going to try to part before death, we will make the death occur at the time of parting!" Then you really would be fulfilling your commitment!

Just a thought; I'm not serious about stoning people when they want to divorce.

"I don't love you anymore" - another excuse.

That's the point. As a society we have accepted excuses as reasons and allow people to get divorced on a whim...

I've changed

You've changed

I don't love you any more

You don't make me happy

We fight all of the time

You'd be better off without me

I'd be happier alone

I need to find myself

We got married too young

Plus a million of other excuses....Not one of them a reason or cause...

Hahah Alli!

Well..... maybe people should have to take serious classes before getting married - in comparison to the ones held by churches. (let's not make this religious - just comparing.)

Chances are a couple who is not serious will not go through say 6 months of weekly classes to get married.

Hahah Alli!

Well..... maybe people should have to take serious classes before getting married - in comparison to the ones held by churches. (let's not make this religious - just comparing.)

Chances are a couple who is not serious will not go through say 6 months of weekly classes to get married.

That is a good idea. I think I will suggest this to my bf if/when we decide to get engaged.

Our relationship is great, but always being on here & seeing posts about people who date for years & then things all the sudden go downhill & they break up a couple months later.. it makes me sick to think about it! I really don't want that to happen to us. Same thing with people getting divorced. It's not like anything is written in stone.

Let's not avoid divorce. Let's focuss on what it means for you to marry. Can you commit to acting with dignity even if the marriage fails?

This puts us all on the spot. So I was I cheated on. Did I play some roll. Is my rule of never accepting cheating honoring a real life situation with causes and effects?

Can I honor you even if you dishonor me? In marriage, I think the answer is yes. That doesn't mean marraige doesn't end. It means I respect the person I know my spouse to be and pay tribute to that, even if she is gone.

This is big people, bigger than penalties of law. What do you commit to?

Not sure if this is along the right lines . . . . but ultimately, I'd like to think that I will never walk away from a marriage. No matter what happens due to cause and effect, etc. But then again, maybe I'll just always be single because getting married is such a commitment that I know I'd never willingly break. Hm.

Hahah Alli!

Like someone once said: You have to take a test or two to get a drivers license, but you don't need any training to get married (or to have kids.)

Kinda backwards!

WHen my wife and I got married, a friend recommended a Pastor to perform the ceremony. We had to meet with him 5 or 6 times for counseling before he agreed to marry us. He didn't push religion or preach to us in any way. He just asked questions of both of us that made us both really think and ponder if we were ready to get married. Obviously, we both decided we were and during some of the more difficult times in our relationship that I looked back on those sessions..

What if they leave after 40 years?

As someone said, when the commitment was made it wasn't a lie, it may even have been absolutely heartfelt. However there may be a flaw in their character that they will break their commitments. Some people, to varying degrees, are unreliable. I don't believe this makes them frauds, but they may not understand themselves.

Some folks ought to use the wedding vows of Ming the Merciless:

Do you take this man/woman, to be your spouse of the hour? Do you promise to use him/her as you will? Not to blast him/her into space, until you grow weary of him/her?

Getting married before one understands themself fully is fraud.

I would want to know that me and my SO have gotten through tough times together and resolved issues together as a roadtest before getting married.

Getting married when things have always been great is not a good indicator of whether the relationship is strong and ever lasting.

I think you need to have been through some s**t together first before making such a major commitment.

i am divorced and do not want to be, but sometimes we have no choice. i will not get into my story but i believe marraige is for life and should be that way. it is too easy in society to throw it away, we no longer take love or marraige serious. it is never a complete work, but something you work on for life,and with your partner can withstand anything. you have to believe. there will be good and bad but i believe no matter what you can make it through together. i know many people do not believe this and will not agree and that is ok. this is my belief.

The function of marriage is to bind two people together forever.

By paper? If people truly love each other & be loyal, why can't they stay together as a couple?

I always wonder about this...and my g/f feels the same way. Don't take me wrong in any way, sometimes I wonder why people get married and when many end up divorcing.

On the other hand yes I want to marry my g/f for many reasons. I just feel there's this dillusional idea that marriage is everything in a relationship...

Archived