things getting better, question about lexapro

So, after 5 months, i can truly say I'm doing better. I've moved back home, got me an awesome new job, really fixed things with my family, going back to school. I've recently started taking lexapro as a way to fight the ongoing depression that has plagued me for basically my whole life.

I figure it's time to deal with this as best I can. I was wondering if anyone else has been on Lexapro and what should i expect? This is my first day 10mg, each day for a week. Afterwards, the doctor will determine to move me to 20mg or not.

Any thoughts, experiences?

I've been on it for over a year. It changed my life. I LOVE it.

The only side effect I had on it was extreme dry mouth but that went away after a week or two. I didn't gain weight or anything (thank god!).

It works faster than other AD's so you can expect it to start really working after about 3-4 days. After a couple weeks it "stopped" working for me so the doc kicked it up to 20mgs and that fixed it. Though it made me too sleepy even though I took it at night, so I started chopping them up and take 15 mgs. Apparently that's unusual though.

Be careful with discontinuing it though. Talk to your doc first and wean yourself off. The brain zaps are hell.

I used to have a lot of problems with the way my dad acted towards me, but when he started Lexapro things got a LOT better. The days he doesn't take it, he's an ***, but when he does...I can definitely see a big improvement. I guess it just depends on every person though!

i tried lexapro 3 or 4 times. i know two people who have taken it for sexeral years and like it.

ive had problems with it.

1. i went to court on it and my heart was out of control, although strangely, i could control my body movements. but, i also began crying in the courtroom.

2. it made me sleepy.

3. it made me unable to have interest in masterbation.

4. it made my pupils diolated and when i looked at myself in the mirror, i looked like i was on speed.

5. it made my chest and lungs feel tight and i didn't have ANY energy.

6. it just made me feel like an airhead at times. i honestly would rather have my emotions, but do without anxiety.

i was told by a couple friends that it was working, but i didn't feel it within myself.

keep in mind, i am someone who has chosen to stay away from drugs like this and others such as birth control. some people love lexapro and i've heard it is one of the better ones.

i have heard that after women take it for 5 or so years, it affects their hormones.

so, i would say it has its advantages and disadvantages.

all i know is that with me, it felt like it was building up in my body, supressing my need to have natural release. i believe that i appeared to others as a bit paranoid because of the way i behaved while on it. but i really didnt care what other people thought either.

Archived