Skipping a period, but not pregnant...???

Suzanne1281

So I am quite late on my period, but I took an EPT yesterday and it was negative. Has anyone ever entirely skipped a period for a month and found out they were not pregnant? Is it possible to just not have a period and then get it the next month?

I am under a very large amount of stress lately. I was laid off, going on a lot of interviews for a new job, got a new job, then got the job I really wanted, had to piss off my boss and quit the current job. Oh and my former employer is trying to take me to court because they don't want to pay unemployment insurance (from my 5 weeks of unemployment). This all happened right before I was supposed to get my period.

8 years ago when my dad died, I stopped getting my period for 4 months and I was not pregnant. So I do realize that the body can do really weird things when under stress, but losing Dad was a LOT more traumatic than my current life situation.

I'm going to take another ept in a few days, first thing in the morning just to be sure. I don't have health insurance so I can't go to an OB/GYN to find out and I'm not sure if I can make it to a Planned Parenthood center as I'm now working full time again and don't know if I have the time.

So..has this ever happened to anyone and they weren't pregnant? Skip a period and have it come back the next month?

OH, and I just recently became sexually active again after not having sex for over 2 years. Could that affect the menstrual cycle?

Stress has a tremendous effect on hormone levels. It can make you skip ovulation altogether. It is the body's natural defense to not get pregnant in times of undue environmental stress.

So you've had a lot going on. EPT tests are very reliable, and i don't think you need to go to an OB/GYN if it tests negative a few times.

I really wouldn't get too upset about it, becuase it is a fairly normal event to sometimes skip a period, especially if you know you've done it before when under stress. Just keep up your current birth control, and things will right themselves again when the stress is reduced.

Hi, I know i"m a little late in replying, but my period was several weeks late back in April 2005 because I was under a lot of school-related stress. So I definitely think it's stress. It does strange things to you. Good that you're going to the doctor though to get it checked out! Good luck!

I have had that happen more than once. It's possible the hormone levels were too low to detect a pregnancy when you took the test, so you should take another one if you don't get your period in another week or so. It's really likely that stress is the reason, though. That has a huge impact on how regular your cycles are. Just to be safe, I'd get another test, otherwise see a doctor. You may have a hormone imbalance which can be regulated with BC or other meds.

Archived