Does your diet affect very early stages of pregnancy?

Suzanne1281

Does one's diet affect the first month of pregnancy, say, before you realized you were pregnant? For example, say you had a few drinks out with friends before you knew you were pregnant. Would that harm the fetus?

Or say I'm normally a big coffee drinker. Would that prove harmful in the first month?

Eating a lot of seafood...same question.

Nah, I dont think so. I didnt find out I was pregnant until I was 5 weeks. In that 5 weeks, I drank a couple of times, smoked like a freight train and ate horribly! I am 5 1/2 months pregnant now and my baby is perfectly fine. But once I knew that I was knocked up, I immediately started the prenatal vitamins, quit smoking (ouch!), quit caffeine (ouch!) and started a better diet.

Actually, some of the most important days in development for an embryo are during the first 50 days (ie, before many women realize they are pregnant). That's why it's recommended that you follow a pregnant "lifestyle" while you are trying to get pregnant (no smoking, little or no drinking).

Still, many people have unplanned pregnancies, and only stop drinking/smoking after they find out, and 99% of the babies are absolutely fine. So even though diet does very much affect the early stages of pregnancy, you most likely do not have much to worry about.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I don't think that you would have anything to worry about! Just if you were going to try and get pregnant, the best course (IMO) would be to not smoke, do drugs, drink very little alcohol, and limit caffeine intake during that time.

I just read your questions about coffee and seafood. You have to limit seafood to only a couple of times a week, like 2 or 3 max, and avoid certain kinds of seafood. Also, dont eat anything raw. Even things like canned tuna you can only have 2 to 3 times a week. Its due to the mercury content.

As to coffee, switch to decaf. I had a HUGE problem with caffeine, and still do to be honest! lol But in the first trimester, you're risk of miscarriage is much higher, and too much caffeine has been known to cause miscarriages. I tried quitting cold turkey and ended up with HORRIBLE caffeine withdraw headaches and migraines. My OB said that I could have one cup of something caffinated daily to keep me from withdrawing.

Most people don't find out they are pregnant until minimum 3 weeks and up, and I've read in my pregnancy books that a few drinks here and there before finding out you were pregnant are not likely to harm the fetus, same with caffeine and fish. However, obviously once you know you are pregnant you should read up on nutrition and start eating for two in a healthy way.

I had a few drinks with dinner in the week before I found out I was pregnant, and a few coffee drinks too, and sushi. Hopefully my baby will be fine!

My coworker was at a Van Halen concert smashed the night before she found out she was pregnant, and her baby girl is 7 months and totally normal and healthy.

If you are consciously trying to get pregnant it is best to stop drinking alcohol and caffeine and limiting fish intake now, and also to avoid soft cheeses and deli meats.

Hope this helps!

Archived