Panic attacks

LilyXX

Lately I started having panic attacks, at least I think that this is what they are.

I feel shaky, scream, cry and want to hurt myself. I scratch myself pretty badly, and bite. I even had an urge to pick up a knife and but didn't. They are triggered by an argument. I had 2 of these this week.

I don't really want to see a doctor or take medication, but I don't know what to do with about this.

They happen when I feel trapped. Like if I am out shopping with my husband I am tired of being in a crowded place for too long and I want to go home. He is not done shopping yet and we end up shopping for another hour at least. That makes me feel really anxious, I keep telling him that I want to go home, and he gets mad at me for rushing him, that is how we get into an argument. This happens a lot, before i would just be upset, but now it is getting worse...

Today I had an attack because of feeling trapped in a whole other situation.

First thing to realize is that your problem is something that can be dealt with. There is a way to live with them and prevent them from happening altogether (in some cases - but this could be you!).

Second thing to realize is that because there is a solution you absolutely must find somebody with whom you can discuss this with in person.

Third thing to realize is that there might be some undercurrent in your life that you are not addressing or suppressing. You will need help in finding what this is.

Please seek a cognitive therapist or somebody who specializes in panic attacks.

Are you in an emotionally abusive relationship?

Do you feel as though you have no choice when it comes to dealing with your husband?

Have you considered divorcing your husband? I've read through some of your other posts and it seems to me that you are in an unhealthy marriage. Please get some expert help for your marriage -- IF you want to save it. But before that occurs, you MUST think of YOURSELF FIRST! Do whatever it takes to get well. The world is a better place for having you in it.

The fact that you are writing about it is a good sign of strength on your behalf. There is more I would like to say but I'm not a professional and I'm afraid I might say something that will possibly make things worse for you.

How do you feel after the panic subsides? Are you more relaxed or are you still anxious? Some people I know who have had them say that they feel good afterward (but don't feel so great up until the next one). They relate it to the same sensation as vomiting where after the whole thing is over, they are relieved.

Well, as someone who has them also I know you just can't always eliminate all the things that trigger them. And we can't just remove ourself from any situation that might be a trigger because then we are a prisoner of our own anxiety.

Next time it happens just try really hard to relax. Think about other things. Don't think how you just want to go home... instead of that focus on the fact that he is with you and you are safe. Easier said then done, I know. It takes practice.

I have an anxiety disorder myself. You can eventually look back at the other reactions I gave before at threads of people who asked advice about panic attacks.

Myself I try to use the ways I found out that are helping me to relax, like feeling sleepy, drinking a bit of alcohol, taking a deep breath, focusing at something else, sex/masturbation, joking, not caring for the things you panic about.

Since about a week I also take Valdispert, it's completely natural and to buy without prescription from a doctor needed. I have the idea it takes away some stress though not sure yet if it's b/c of that.

I also like the idea there exists medication against fear/panic. What I like about it is especially the idea that in case I have the idea I can't manage it myself I can use it.

I suffer from panic attacks as well - when I feel trapped or claustrophobic. My triggers are dense crowds or being on a crowded subway/train that is stopped (underground, above ground - doesn't matter). I've found I can't remove myself from these situations b/c then I'm altering my life to accommodate my anxiety.

Cognitive behaviorial therapy can help you narrow down what your triggers are and help you develop coping mechanisms. This can include breathing exercises, visualizations, mediation.

panic attacks are the worst things anyone can ever go through

John Streo's post was really informative and worth considering... I used to suffer from really bad panic/anxiety attacks and realized they were caused from one thing - my relationship that was toxic and mentally abusive. I am now proud to say that I got out of it and panic/anxiety attacks are a thing of the past. You made the first step by talking about them, I hope everything works out for you and you are able to figure out whats triggering them and why, eventually you will see them disappear...like mcgirl said as well

Cognitive behaviorial therapy can help you narrow down what your triggers are and help you develop coping mechanisms. This can include breathing exercises, visualizations, mediation.
I found those helped a lot too.

I get those too. I get sweaty, fast heartbeat, racing thoughts, hard to concentrate, feeling of dread. Not so much anymore. It helps to know that it will usually pass within a few minutes because your body cannot keep up that high rate of tension and energy, so its self limiting. Find a place to be alone, go to the bathroom if you have to, get outside, anything. But dont turn to smoking or something detrimental.

Thanks for the responses. John Streo if your have any more input for me, please don't hesitate.

I only had two of these attacks do far, but it scares me. I had attacks like these a few years ago, when I was going through a very hard time.

I usually have these when I have not eaten in a while, I am just wondering if it is just hypoglycemia, I am always a bit on edge when I am hungry, but it was not bad like this in a while.

My husband is not abusive. He has his own faults, of course, he can be impatient and he does not like to plan anything, this is why we usually end up shopping much longer then I like. You can't really call this "abuse". We talked about it afterwards and he said that he does not want to see me miserable, and he will try to accommodate me.

He is not really the problem here, I should not be reacting like this.

Archived