are women today really commitment phobic?

Caterina

This article says that they are:

link removed

I don't think women are commitment phobic. I think that the reason there are more single women today starts with the fact that women are allowed to have higher standards b/c there is less dependability on men.

I also honestly think its b/c men don't need to commit since they can get virtually everything a married man can get these days without the extra responsibilities of marriage...so actually its associated to men: why so many women are single.

I don't think they are commitment phobes. I agree with you. Standards were lowered for everyone once people realized they could have NSA sex. So it all stems back to a woman lowering her standards and the men jumping for joy because THEY don't have to put the ring on her finger, she gave it up willingly.

I DO NOT THIS WOMAN ARE COMMITTMENT PHOBIC...

Seems all men want to do these days is just jump in bed and have sex. And since there are woman out there willing to give it to them, well...it's just lowered the standards for all of us woman who DO NOT.

What's the point of a man wanting to committ if he knows he can run out there and get sex anytime from a lot of woman who are willing to put out?

Why would a man want to get married and have all that responsibility?

It does make one wonder.....

Sorry, they lost me at "dragging your Manolos ..." LOL.

Why is there this assumption in these crappy articles that all single women are living in episodes of Sex and the City? A bunch of shoe loving , materialistic, and/or ultra ambitious twits who have no idea they are choosing what they want?

I'd probably be considered commitment phobe (though don't like the term one bit, think it is besides the point, as a more accurate statement is I Am Not Prepared to Commit at the moment with all that entails).

I sure don't fit these stereotypes that get thrown around about this generations single women. And in fact, those women are the exception...not the rule, in my experience.

That's like concentrating on the infantile, narcisstistic men and making generalizations based on those idiots.

Sorry. I just think the article is crap and has no relavence to what you are actually asking -

Which I have no strong opinion about either way.

Disposable world? Sure. More options? Sure. Women less likely to commit than they ever were - I don't think so.

I just think the structures of it and ideas of what commitment means have changed.

We no longer have to pine over a ring, or get wed at 16, in order to be with a man. That doesn't spell COMMITMENT to everyone anymore.

What was shameful has become something many wear like a badge of honour, too - it's a polarity of extremes.

It'll all settle down in due time. Human needs and desires haven't changed, just our means to get them do.

Why is there this assumption in these crappy articles that all single women are living in episodes of Sex and the City? A bunch of shoe loving , materialistic, and/or ultra ambitious twits who have no idea they are choosing what they want?

Because that's the world in which the sort of journalists who write these articles live. They don't get that other people aren't all living the same life. Indeed, I doubt most of them realise that there even *are* people outside NYC.

Because that's the world in which the sort of journalists who write these articles live. They don't get that other people aren't all living the same life. Indeed, I doubt most of them realise that there even *are* people outside NYC.

Yeah. Went on a bit of a rant there. Fluffy stuff. bah.

I

Seems all men want to do these days is just jump in bed and have sex. And since there are woman out there willing to give it to them, well...it's just lowered the standards for all of us woman who DO NOT.

What's the point of a man wanting to committ if he knows he can run out there and get sex anytime from a lot of woman who are willing to put out?

Why would a man want to get married and have all that responsibility?

It does make one wonder.....

I got to be honest I'm looking for the same right now in my life. I'm independent and enjoy my space and freedom. I'm just looking for someone there for me I can turn to for company and sex when I need them but don't particularly want them sitting next to me on the sofa night after night.

It's a controversial Concept and sure to sell a book.

I don't think women are more commitment phobic, but I think younger women are not faced with having to make a marriage because they are expected to. I also think they think about the concept of divorce as a real possibility. When I married the first time I had no idea that people get divorces. I think younger women aren't quite as caught up in the Barbie doll marriage concept, which is a very good thing, I think they are free to be smarter about the choices they make.

I married and divorced early in life. I did what I thought I was supposed to do, just he turned out to be physically abusive.

I too am 'commitment-phobic' in the sense that I like being single, it has perks that I just don't want to give up yet. I'm by no means promiscuous and when I do date someone it's not with sex in mind.

I'm also trying to get my life together and become a healthy, well adjusted person. So I'm holding out until I am well enough to build a healthy relationship with someone and have the strength and knowledge to make it work. A healthy relationship for me would be where we are both 'background entities' for each other. Being together is great, but not like our lives depend on it, like we need to be, but because we want to.

I hardly think this is the case with all women though, there are so many girls I know who want to have a long meaningful relationship with the right person and I know they will.

I'm not looking for anything serious. I consider myself as 'single', even tho I am seeing a guy, but I don't have him living in my pocket. It's a fairly new relationship and I don't want to get into anything 'heavy'...so I see him now and again, it's the way I like it. I like my own space, the freedom to come and go as I please....I'm an independent sort.

Not because I'm a committment phobe, but because I spent a long time married....and when we split...felt like I had been let out of a cage!!

I deserved some 'me' time....and I love it..

I'm not looking for anything serious. I consider myself as 'single', even tho I am seeing a guy, but I don't have him living in my pocket. It's a fairly new relationship and I don't want to get into anything 'heavy'...so I see him now and again, it's the way I like it. I like my own space, the freedom to come and go as I please....I'm an independent sort.

Not because I'm a committment phobe, but because I spent a long time married....and when we split...felt like I had been let out of a cage!!

I deserved some 'me' time....and I love it..

I feel exactly the same.

Archived